Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
We'll see when I take the time to pull it apart. I'm working on getting an axle sponsor so I might just wait for that...

So I see the bottom nut still attached and the top of the ball joint out. Did it snap or just get pulled most of the way out Expanding the joint?

N-Smooth

The top ball joint was popped out of the C but still in one piece. The ball was barely staying inside of it. The lower is completely shot as well. I put them in back in November so of course they're covered under lifetime warranty at The Zone so I have a new set in my hands now. Shockingly enough there's no real damage to the upper part of the C like I expected since the balljoint was able to move around in there.

N-Smooth

Went ahead and put some stitch welds on the new balljoints...
image.jpg
Also got a new shaft in there. Everything seems good.
Decided with how beat to death my windshield and roof is after the Rangely roll that it was time for this to happen-
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm pretty happy with it. It'll probably get a plastic table cloth roof temporarily but eventually an aluminum roof and lexan windshield.

I also weighed the roof/windshield to keep up with the theme of the build. 69 pounds! I backtracked through the thread and put this together for the stuff I've actually tracked:

Doors - 202 lbs
Rack - 18
Hatch Glass and misc stuff - 31
Dash and console - 70
321 pounds lost for total weight of 3520
Firewall insulation, charcoal canister, misc - 11
Wiring, dome light - 5
Hatch - 37
Rear roof - 43
Remaining roof and windshield - 69
Current total lost is 486 pounds for total weight of 3355 pounds

of course I've added some steel and tube from time to time and didn't track that stuff so who knows if it really adds up. I really need to get it to the scales and see!

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Make yourself a nifty mesh bikini top out of that stuff you used for the small shades earlier in this thread. :cool:

N-Smooth

Took the day off to get some little stuff ready for Idaho X Rocks on Saturday. I cleaned some stuff up and decided it was time to weigh the ol' girl since I had to take some stuff to the dump anyways.
image.jpg
The girl working was adamant about writing something on the ticket but she said "I don't even know what to call it..."
I just laughed. I guess she called it Aussie Locker Jeep due to my big hood sticker.
image.jpg
Yup, the same weight it was last time except this time I weigh 256 so the total weight is 3484 without me in it and comp-ready. I'm very satisfied with being under 3750 pounds when I'm lined up at the start gate.
I'm a little shocked that I added as much weight as I took away since I last weighed it but hey, it's an XJ so I need to throw steel at it from time to time :)

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Another comp in the books for us. Ryan and I headed out after work on Friday night.
image.jpg
His 42's make my 33's feel depressed.
We got into Nampa around 1 AM, set up our tent and crashed. Got up Saturday, unloaded the rigs, went to the driver's meeting and got all ready to go. This was our first time with Ryan competing in the TJ since he got it about a month ago. Not a lot of noteworthy stuff besides me putting a hole in my oil pan during course 2. We drove it back to the trailer, drained it and patched it up with quicksteel and RTV. Luckily it happened a while before lunch break so it had time to cure. Filled it back up and it was all good. We went into the second half knowing I had a solid lead and hoping to squeeze Ryan in the top 5. Well...
image.jpg
I came home with this trophy and some serious puddles in my Jeep. The rain after we finished and before the awards was straight-up INSANE! Some of the Pro Mod and Unlimited rigs didn't even finish! It was a blast spotting for Ryan but we were cautious since we were both learning the rig. Ryan isn't happy with anything but 1st so next time we're doing more bonus lines and gunning for it.
Here are a few more rando pics.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg