New and improved New Member night run - March 11th (Updated)

LocalRich

sure, you could do part 1 with an F250, then ride along for part 2 if you felt like it. With your driving skills/experience you could probably get the f250 through rattlesnake, although I wouldn't want to myself.

Or we could try and help you fix your bronco heater before then :)

Might work on the bronco heater, if the weather holds :rofl:. Next weekend is the kids 2nd B-day so I'm sure wrenching is off limits if I want to stay married:eek:

I'm guessing you have to have street legal rigs on this right? I'd put the new input shaft in and run the race car if not :D

sixstringsteve

you think man... to be honest when it comes to wheeling im new to this aspect of it... i usualy go and find the mud holes and play in them ha ha

THere's no rush. You can ride along for part 2. I'm going to schedule a second noob run in may in the daytime, and that'll be a perfect time for you to try it for the first time.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Steve do you really need sliders for snakes.. i dont recall any stock rigs having a problem..

Steve you keep mentioning body damage and having to have sliders to go through rattle snakes. Ive done snakes 4 times now, with different people everytime, from stock toyotas too full size trucks and no one ever got damage of any kind and only one rig ever had sliders.In fact i have never had sliders when ive been on that trail.
I just dont want any new to wheeling people to think that this is a gnarly trail. Yes there are hard very damaging lines you can take but what makes the snakes so great is there are by passes around everything so you can take the easy route if you want. It is a great trail to learn on. Not trying to step on anyones toes but if your getting body damage on snakes your taking the hard lines and asking for it. Its one of my favorite trails i hope all take the advantage to do both snakes and 5mile:)

sixstringsteve

I will repeat myself.

Depends on the driver. Can it be done without sliders? Yes, definitely. I've seen it. I've also seen smashed rocker panels on lifted rigs on rattlesnake

With noobs, at night, for their first time on the trail, with possible wet/snowy conditions, I don't want to spot someone who doesn't have sliders.

I get what you're saying seth, but one dented rocker panel does a lot more damage to the noobs than someone thinking a trail is out of their league. The second part of the run is to show people how hard or easy rattlesnake is. If you've only ever done mud puddles, rattlesnake may be "gnarly" for you. If you've done the rubicon, it'll look like a paved road.

The trail doesn't seem gnarly for us because we've done it multiple times. With the noobs I've taken out there in the past, some have been overwhelmed with it. They were scared, and they got through just fine, but it took a while to get them through. The goal is to ease them into it, not throw them into a situation and say "it's cool, you can do it" when they don't feel confident themselves.

There will be plenty more time to do rattlesnake with the noobs in the future. I get that not everyone agrees with my style of easing them into it, and that's cool. But we have to put limits somewhere on each run we do in order to keep it running smoothly.

I've run snakes at least 20 times, and I've seen plenty of body damage on rattlesnake alone, taking the easy lines. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. As the trail leader for this run, I'd like to avoid the potential for body damage so noobs can feel comfortable that they won't get any new dents in their truck.

As far as running rattlesnake, if someone's run it before, they're more than welcome to take whatever they want to on it for our run. But for the noobs, I'm going to say "take a ride and watch it, then you can decide what modifications you'll need to do (if any) to your rig before the may trip."

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Please don't think I'm trying to reserve "rattlesnake" for the "pros" and leave the noobs at the door. I'm trying to introduce them to it slowly. THey'll learn. They'll drive it in time.

In fact, that's why I'm taking all the noobs on rattlesnake in May. And then I'll recommend sliders again.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm guessing you have to have street legal rigs on this right? I'd put the new input shaft in and run the race car if not :D

You just need street legal rigs to get TO the trail. You can run whatever you want once you're off the highway. But you're going to be bored out of your skull on this run. Sounds like constrictor is more your thing, and we won't be hitting constrictor this night (it's the trail past rattlesnake).

LocalRich

You just need street legal rigs to get TO the trail. You can run whatever you want once you're off the highway. But you're going to be bored out of your skull on this run. Sounds like constrictor is more your thing, and we won't be hitting constrictor this night (it's the trail past rattlesnake).

I'm never bored once the hubs are locked and I'm off th paved road! I'm going to meet people seeing as I know almost no one in UT lol.

sixstringsteve

just to be clear.

Sparticus has a great point. the Rattlesnake trail isn't a very hard trail as far as rockcrawling trails go. If you've never been rockcrawling (ie trails with rocks bigger than basketballs that you have to drive over), then it'll seem big to you. But you'll be surprised at what your rig can do.

Rattlesnake trail can definitely be done without sliders. It's a fun trail, and I think we could spot most 4x4's through with little to no body damage on a dry day with plenty of time to burn. But that won't happen this run. We just don't have the time, and I'd feel terrible if someone received body damage when I promised they wouldn't get any.

Tacoman10

yup, I don't want to take anyone through RS without sliders.

I'm probably going to get sliders in the next month or two. If it were dry ground, I don't think I would have anything to worry about. The wet/muddy ground creates some tricky obstacles out of not so sticky trails.

Glad to see others also want to move on from the dirt road stuff TW people want to do as well. How many times can they really do that same path at 5 mile? Your second gens will probably look a bit out of place though. I'll bring a hammer. ;)

And to be fair, I believe Jason was trying to get up the start of Constrictor. From what I've read, I dont believe RS is even close to that (unless you want it to be)

Dirt roads are boring for sure. I enjoy a little bit of a challenge.
In a perfect scenario, I would have a designated off road rig as well so as not to damage my daily driver.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.

I'm not familiar with Constrictor. Rattlesnake does not look bad but is a challenge if the conditions aren't dry.

yeah, I used to be very active over on TTORA, but most utah members over there just wants a cool looking truck to drive on fire roads, not to rock crawl (even though they spend $8k on lockers, sliders, icons, etc).

Glad to see more people making it out to rock crawling trails.

Guys on TTORA aren't friendly from my experience. I figure if you make your truck off road capable, you might as well use it.

sixstringsteve

Very true. But most are. I have met a lot of good friends over there through the "is anyone from utah" thread I started. Super nice guys, but only 2 or 3 of the 30+ would ever go wheeling, yet they all had icons, sliders, bumpers, skids, 33's, etc. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, I just found that the majority didn't want to crawl. So I hang out here instead now.

The funniest part were the guys who acted like they knew everything, and gave everyone advice on their rig and how to wheel, when they'd only been to rattlesnake once, and that's the ONLY rockcrawling they'd ever done. I just got kinda fed up.

Great knowledge over there though.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
HAHAHA Tigger! Is that what you're bringing on the run Turbo?

No, I don't own that Jeep anymore. I'll be driving my current Wrangler, which is the black '98 Sport you've seen.

BTW: 'Tigger' was my wife's personalized plate. After moving it from car to car a few times, she decided to retire it. I, on the other hand, continue to use my infamous 'Sherpa' plate on my Jeep. :D

sixstringsteve

hopefully it's not as icy as it was last night. There was one sketchy hill that was icy. It would only be a problem going down, not up. It'll be a fun ride either way.

sixstringsteve

I ran rattlesnake last night WITH sliders and still got rocker panel damage :(

So I still recommend sliders when it's snowy.

95BlockCrawler

I'll start. I'll be attending and leading the trails.

I have a '97 suzuki sidekick on 33's with a rear locker.

I'll have 2-3 spare seats for anyone who wants to ride along for part 2.

if i go ill take a ride with you on part 2 if there is still room. you sound like youve had alot of experience. id might learn a thing or two :)