Nissan xterras

airmanwilliams

Does anyone know much about Nissan xterras? I've been looking at some but I don't know anything about their motors, transmissions, and maintenance needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
The first gen is waaaay under powered. The V6 puts out I think 170 ish hp and the supercharged 210 hp on a good day. My friend has one and beat the living crap out of it trying to keep up with the slightly modified jeeps. That being said it's fairly capable for mild wheeling.

Last edited:

smartass_kid

i believe the 05 and up to maybe 08(?) has some issues with the trans fluid mixing with the radiator killing both? i was looking at several before i got my ram and tried to keep away from those. some came with a supercharger but likely beat if they did.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My wife bought one. I don't LOVE it, but it's a solid vehicle. She LOVES it and that's what matters. It's a 2010. I'd definitely get one with the 4.0L engine.

Last edited:

airmanwilliams

I've been needing to replace the sidekick for a while with something to fit all 3 kids. This morning I got some motivation to start looking when I found this on my drivers side floor

DaveN

Does anyone know much about Nissan xterras? I've been looking at some but I don't know anything about their motors, transmissions, and maintenance needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought mine last summer and have loved it. If you take the plunge try to get a factory Off Road edition. They're much more capable out of the box and better components (rear diff lock, etc). The aftermarket isn't as ubiquitous as for jeeps but is still strong, and the community- both local and out of state- is welcoming and active. IMO, the Xterra is a perfect combination for wheeling, overlanding, and family life. The hardest part for me is throttling back my build plans to save my wallet :)

Find the right one and you won't be disappointed!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Houndoc

I bought an 08 Off-Road edition(comes with rear locker) about 1 year ago. Sadly not much use of that off-road aspect yet.

For highway driving, I like it. Decent ride- not a deluxe ride by any means but comfortable. Gets about 18 mpg. Power is adequate, the larger motor of the later models improved that a lot.

I do think they have one of the most comfortable back seats of the SUVs, even my 6ft son was comfortable back there.

What else do you want to know?

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Are you dead set on Xterras too? Lots of SUVs fit your requirements for price and are similar in size and power and stuff. But I understand if you've decided Xterra for sure. If they are built anything like my Titan, I'm sure you'll love it.

Definitely get Carfaxes on whichever of your vehicles you're interested in. When I was looking for titans I narrowed it down to two, the one I got, and another that was about $3k cheaper. The one I got had service records of every scheduled maintenance done at Tim Dahle Nissan and was a 2 owner truck. The other one I didn't get had been in a front end collision (couldn't tell by looking at it) and didn't have very good maintenance records. During the test drives of each it definitely showed. My truck still shifts like it's brand new, the other had very soft shifts.

airmanwilliams

Not completely dead set on them but like the look of all of them I've seen. I would like something I can fit all three kids in and I can take on some light trails. I've realized with the sidekick I don't want the same things I once did and just want a rig I can maybe take on some mild trails here and on trips to Oregon and Idaho.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've been needing to replace the sidekick for a while with something to fit all 3 kids. This morning I got some motivation to start looking when I found this on my drivers side floor

Heater core is just showing some love, had one blow out when I was going over point of the mountain years ago, things got exciting for a minute while I made it over to the side. Ended up putting a piece of 3/4" copper pipe between the heater core lines and bypassed it until I could work on it . :handlebars:

airmanwilliams

Heater core is just showing some love, had one blow out when I was going over point of the mountain years ago, things got exciting for a minute while I made it over to the side. Ended up putting a piece of 3/4" copper pipe between the heater core lines and bypassed it until I could work on it . :handlebars:

Ill see if I can do that for now. I really am just done with it. I can't fit the kids in it, replacement heater core I have needs installed, front Toyota axle and high steer needs installed, etc.

airmanwilliams

How big are your kids? Will a 3rd row like a commander, 4Runner etc be better?

7 year old is in a booster off and on because he is small and 2 twin infants in car seats. I haven't looked at those vehicles really. I want to stay with a 5spd since I'll be the primary driver and my wife will have her impreza.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The first gen is waaaay under powered. The V6 puts out I think 170 ish hp and the supercharged 210 hp on a good day. My friend has one and beat the living crap out of it trying to keep up with the slightly modified jeeps. That being said it's fairly capable for mild wheeling.

He drives a sidekick. Underpowered won't be an issue lol.