No more state safety inspection in utah

ID Bronco

Working at an auto shop, I see first hand the crap that comes in, that the owners could care less about fixing. Sure, there are a lot of people out there that will fix their vehicles, but you would be surprised the amount of stuff that people do not fix, or don't care too 'because they do not have too.' No one I know likes that the state went away with safety inspections... Except auto, collision, and towing companies, and that is only after an accident has happened. UHP is particularly not happy about losing their program, and the officers have become safety inspectors now versus officers. The laws are definitely still there, and UHP officers can pull you over for any of it as well.

I wouldn't mind if we never had a safety inspection in Utah, but where we did, and it went away, everyone thinks they no longer need to do maintenance/service on their vehicles.

I have lived in a non state inspection states my entire life, and as stated above the stats don't support the arguments. Less govt. nearly always is the solution. (obvious exceptions are life, liberty, ect.)

Coco

I have lived in a non state inspection states my entire life, and as stated above the stats don't support the arguments. Less govt. nearly always is the solution. (obvious exceptions are life, liberty, ect.)

For sure, I don't disagree that less government is a bad thing, great in fact. However, it is the people that live here that think they no longer need to maintain their vehicles that bothers me. Knowing I share the road with people that are running bald tires, suspension components that are bad, steering components that are unsafe (all things that would fail a state inspection, and you couldn't renew your registration til they were fixed) is what upsets me. If people could still maintain their vehicles without big brother telling them to do so, I wouldn't have a problem at all. I don't want myself, a friend, family member, or anyone for that matter to be hurt or killed in an accident when their vehicle was unsafe to drive (granted people are now playing on their phones constantly, but that is another issue completely). All I want is for people to be responsible with their vehicles.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Working at an auto shop, I see first hand the crap that comes in, that the owners could care less about fixing. Sure, there are a lot of people out there that will fix their vehicles, but you would be surprised the amount of stuff that people do not fix, or don't care too 'because they do not have too.' No one I know likes that the state went away with safety inspections...

I've already told you, I don't care that I have a broken sway bar link....

ID Bronco

For sure, I don't disagree that less government is a bad thing, great in fact. However, it is the people that live here that think they no longer need to maintain their vehicles that bothers me. Knowing I share the road with people that are running bald tires, suspension components that are bad, steering components that are unsafe (all things that would fail a state inspection, and you couldn't renew your registration til they were fixed) is what upsets me. If people could still maintain their vehicles without big brother telling them to do so, I wouldn't have a problem at all. I don't want myself, a friend, family member, or anyone for that matter to be hurt or killed in an accident when their vehicle was unsafe to drive (granted people are now playing on their phones constantly, but that is another issue completely). All I want is for people to be responsible with their vehicles.

In a few years it will all even out........................and your right, much higher chance of death from a phone. No I don't want Govt.......wait that's another argument.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
So catch me up. I just moved to Utah and need to register my Jeep. Do I need an inspection or do I just take my title in and GTG?
You do need an emissions inspection - Cache County requires an emissions inspection if your vehicle is a model year 1969-2012 (every other year). Safety inspections are still required only in a few cases, and you shouldn't need one.

In Logan, the local DMV office # is (435) 755-1610.

Details here:
https://dmv.utah.gov/register/inspections

Coco

Like I said, I have no problem at all that it is one less govt-controlled program, but I HATE the people that will not fix their vehicles unless the state tells them too. My one and only complaint from the start.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Like I said, I have no problem at all that it is one less govt-controlled program, but I HATE the people that will not fix their vehicles unless the state tells them too. My one and only complaint from the start.

I have no problem at all that we have the 2nd Amendment, but I HATE the people that think they need an AR15. My one and only complaint from the start.

That's what you sound like right now @Coco