Now that we know what you tow with, Let's see some pictures

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I am in the market for a gooseneck trailer big enough to haul 2 rigs but this really has me looking at bumper pulls

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I am in the market for a gooseneck trailer big enough to haul 2 rigs but this really has me looking at bumper pulls

I was WAY suprised with how much I liked my 26'. Kind of wish I hadn't sold it but I'm still moving in the same direction as for why I did (just not near as fast as I'd like to be). I'm SURE a gooseneck would tow "better" but I've had two Jeeps on the bumper pull 6-7 times and a few other heavy loads and was very happy with the trailer even as a tag.

Brett's looks like he's made a few adjustments that I would have made to mine. Should serve him well?
attachment.php

Brett, this looks incredibly level? The tongue needs to go lower?

Last edited:

Bart

Wow, the trailer and set up looks great. Nice job calculating all the weights. Hope it tows as good as it looks.

sswens1

first Tow rig was a 88 chevy 3500 SRW single cab. Towed great but needed more space, it got around 9mpg towing/13 empty had a tbi350 and auto trans. Sold it to my dad dirt cheap and he still drives it today a/c and cruise still working with no major repairs in 10 years. Found a picture,

Up until recently we towed with a 2000 F350 7.3 282000miles, airbags. 2 trannys and did injectors once since 190k. Trailer is a 7x12 converted hay trailer with mobile home axles. Camper shell has a comfy carpet kit. (My DD)

Just upgraded but still keeping the 7.3.. 2005 f350, 6.0 fixes done 94000miles with a 8'6 cabover, airbags also and a few more bells and whistles than the old 7.3. (Wifes DD)

both get around 11-14 towing the jeep depending on which way the wind is blowing and elevation change, 2005 rides much less "tank-like"

Last edited:

RenegadeR

2004 Ford F550 Headache rack is a work in progress but this tows jeep and 28' camp trailer very nicely. 4.88 in axles limit fuel economy a bit but never lack for power.20130626_200606.jpg20130626_200627.jpg

RenegadeR

Thanks, I have tried the slide in bed campers, toy haulers and just plain tent camping, and this works the best yet. The only option I haven't tried is the motor-home and they get real expensive to tow a heavy crawler around.

So, 6.0? 5sp Auto? How tall do the tires measure? Guessing that even in OD that thing is singin' at 70ish. I've thought of dropping to 4.30's with the 35's. The only thing mine does is tow anymore. Tow and go over Parley's. 3.73's means 75 at 2000 rpm and I spend a lot of time at 2700rpm when towing with OD locked out to keep the EGT's down.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I thought I had posted in this thread earlier this year... I guess not.

Short version of the story:
1. Bought 2001 Suburban with Vortec 8100 and 4.10 axle gears in February. It is my first big block ever.
2. Bought shiny new 16' PJ trailer in March. It is my first trailer ever.

Three days after buying the trailer I headed to Moab for EJS. I am now hooked on trailering. Typical economy while towing is 10 mpg. I could not be happier.

Photo of most recent use of trailer:
towjob03.jpg

RenegadeR

So, 6.0? 5sp Auto? How tall do the tires measure? Guessing that even in OD that thing is singin' at 70ish. I've thought of dropping to 4.30's with the 35's. The only thing mine does is tow anymore. Tow and go over Parley's. 3.73's means 75 at 2000 rpm and I spend a lot of time at 2700rpm when towing with OD locked out to keep the EGT's down.

6.0 with egr delete, Auto, roughly 32's, it cruises at 70 about 2500rpm. a little high but doesn't seem to mind too much. gets roughly 9-12 no matter the load. I haven't chipped it yet but with the low gears it does very well towing heavy loads. Gooseneck dumpster trailers with trailer weights around 15-20k you don't even feel. Only complaint is the turbo lag on the 6.0 which a chip would probably help. This is a 5th vehicle in a 2 driver household so it is tow only. Works great

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380639261.043866.jpg

Super happy with the new tow rig!
8.7mpg from Riverton to Price
8.4 from Price to Moab
6.4 from Moab to Loa (I-70 sucks!)
8.8 from Loa to Riverton

Not too bad considering it's a V-10 with 4.88 gears pushing around 20k

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I know I am new here but I will throw up a few pictures of mine and the wife's second home. We enjoy traveling via motorhome whether on family vacation or heading to the sand dunes or our favorite wheeling location. This is out third motorhome in the past 23 years of RVing and we love it. This one is getting a little older now as it is a 2003 but we have owned it since 2007. It is a 40' Monaco Dynasty with the Cummins ISL engine/Allison 3000 series trans.

I have done a lot of personal upgrade/mods to it as well as brought it back to life after the previous owners somewhat neglected the upkeep. It is in need of a paint job within the next several years but for the most part is still in prestine condition and will hopefully last the wife and I well into our retirement.

Here is our tow rig while camping at Monument Valley this past March.
28jzodh.jpg

I flat-tow the Jeep as well as haul it in the Haulmark Edge trailer. If going for an extended stay I like to take my rolling shop with me as well as usually haul the Harley with the Jeep.
1rq6au.jpg

This picture was taken @ Portal RV Park in Moab when we were there for an RV Rally in May of this year.
k327br.jpg