Now that we know what you tow with, Let's see some pictures

sixb

Will work for beer!
Well here is mine, it's a 02 3500 5.9 HO 6 spd. with 175k on the clock and a few mods. for towing, RV275 injectors, AFE intake, High tech HX35/40 Comp. with a Banks big head 14cm exhaust housing and full 4" banks exhaust with the power elbow for a true 4" exhaust, and a ATS exhaust manifold = no egt problem when working:D Also no chip, no smoke and plenty of power:greg:

Attachments

• HPIM1614.jpg
    HPIM1614.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM1613.jpg
    HPIM1613.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM1287.jpg
    HPIM1287.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well here is mine, it's a 02 3500 5.9 HO 6 spd. with 175k on the clock and a few mods. for towing, RV275 injectors, AFE intake, High tech HX35/40 Comp. with a Banks big head 14cm exhaust housing and full 4" banks exhaust with the power elbow for a true 4" exhaust, and a ATS exhaust manifold = no egt problem when working:D Also no chip, no smoke and plenty of power:greg:

Nice rig! I've been hesitant about going with a chip lately, mostly because I don't want the smoke... I find it annoying, it's unburnt fuel!

I might have to try out some of the things you've done. :)

Meat_

Banned
Nice rig! I've been hesitant about going with a chip lately, mostly because I don't want the smoke... I find it annoying, it's unburnt fuel!

I might have to try out some of the things you've done. :)

Juice will not make it smoke unless you want it to. Really they don't smoke much until you put in bigger injectors and or lug them (very hard to do with an auto). The Attitude gives you 5 smoke levels from none to smoke. It essentially controls the amount of defueling the computer does before the boost psi is up.

sixb

Will work for beer!
Juice will not make it smoke unless you want it to. Really they don't smoke much until you put in bigger injectors and or lug them (very hard to do with an auto). The Attitude gives you 5 smoke levels from none to smoke. It essentially controls the amount of defueling the computer does before the boost psi is up.

I'm not tryin to start somthing here but I think every truck reacts different to a chip. Mine has 3.55 gears and in stock form with a edge juice with attitude the egts and smoke would rise quick so that is when all the extras went into it to control egt issues. I ran it for about a year with no issues until one day the truck would'nt shut off, the only way to kill it was to dump the clutch in 6th. It was the turbo timer that failed, which I never used being a manual. Edge was great they replaced under warranty no problem. While it was off waiting for replacement I then realized how nice it ran with the improvements that I had made and decided to sell the new edge when it arrived. the problem I have with chips is that they won't last the life of the truck. My new criteria is I won't buy any upgrade unless it will last the life of the truck. Now that is just me but I'm not going to waste my money any more lol:rofl:

Meat_

Banned
Just curious, did you have the smoke level down to 0? And did you have injectors with the chip when it was smoking? When the timer failed did you try turning off the turbo timer in the Attitude?

sixb

Will work for beer!
Just curious, did you have the smoke level down to 0? And did you have injectors with the chip when it was smoking? When the timer failed did you try turning off the turbo timer in the Attitude?

Yea all sub levels were always set at 0. Levels 1-3 were the only ones you could really use anyway and keep everything in check buy paying carefull attention always. Injectors was the last thing I did and that was about a year ago, it would smoke bad even before injectors and without all the extra breathing and exhaling I provided. With stock injectors and the extras it was a perfect setup, I could even tow on the higher levels and keep everything in check but my fuel mileage suffered like yours so I pulled the injectors and had them pop tested at gillett and two of them were bad, so I bought a 300.00 new set of bosh rv275(that is why I like the cummins, you can't even buy one injector for ford or chevy for that) and that put the smoke and egts out of controll again. Granit some of the original smoke and egt issues could have been from a worn out turbo and injectors, they did have over 150k on them at the time. The mpg with the new injectors were 15-16 stop and go city and 18-19 hwy with a best ever of 19.8. I have not checked it without the chip as it has been parked since last Nov. when I bought a f150 cng pickup:greg:Also Yes the turbo timer was off when it failed, I even tried turning it on and off again and still would'nt work. I had to disconnect the edge from the truck to get it to work properly again, cause stalling the truck killed the engine but it would have run the battery down cause all the dash lights were still on, as far as the computer was concerned it was still on. My original point was and still is that a factory truck or at least mine will smoke on level 1 and sub level 0 with the edge and I mean smoke. I spent alot of time and money chasing the issue down and was lucky enough to have it go out cause that is when I realized how good it was without it, I sometimes miss the extra 100 hp though:-\ but it comes with a price.

Meat_

Banned
My mileage didn't drop off with the chip, but it didn't go up either. I'm pretty concerned about the condition of my injectors and plan to go to some stage 2 jammers this year sometime (I've put all of 350 miles on it since Dec :rolleyes: ). I was actually kinda pissed when mine would not smoke when I turned it up to smoke. Also like I said, you will see a lot more smoke from a manual than you will from an auto because you can't really lug an auto at all.

I don't want to run around smoking all the time, but there are certain time when I really want to be able to put the coals to someone.

sixb

Will work for beer!
My mileage didn't drop off with the chip, but it didn't go up either. I'm pretty concerned about the condition of my injectors and plan to go to some stage 2 jammers this year sometime (I've put all of 350 miles on it since Dec :rolleyes: ). I was actually kinda pissed when mine would not smoke when I turned it up to smoke. Also like I said, you will see a lot more smoke from a manual than you will from an auto because you can't really lug an auto at all.

I don't want to run around smoking all the time, but there are certain time when I really want to be able to put the coals to someone.

Not sure what year your truck is but I think 01 is when the changed the turbo on the auto for emmissions to a hy35 with a 9cm exhaust housing, pretty restrictive on the hot side but spools super fast, that is the turbo I would like for my k5 project, cause I won't be pulling anything that heavy and would like the quick responce with no smoke, the first gens were pretty smokey if you turned them up any with the H1C turbo and mine came from an auto so it has a 21cm exhaust housing, no egt issues there but it would take for ever to spool. When I finish my project I plan on selling my 1 ton and switching to bumper pulls for the k5 and running WVO or home brew b100. The 1 ton never liked b100 when I ran it, the fuel pressure would drop to much. The mech. pump on the 12v would'nt care one way or the other.

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
I've got a '98 24v. Mine spools very fast, but I'm straight piped with 4" I've never towed on anything higher than #2 and I've never gotten hotter than IIRC 1147F (10k lbs). Did you put an after market LP on yours to see if it would alleviate your b100 problems?

sixb

Will work for beer!
I've got a '98 24v. Mine spools very fast, but I'm straight piped with 4" I've never towed on anything higher than #2 and I've never gotten hotter than IIRC 1147F (10k lbs). Did you put an after market LP on yours to see if it would alleviate your b100 problems?

I think the 98 would have a hx35 which I think is a great turbo, but it should smoke on demand, but I have never driven an auto diesel.

I put on the faas pump only, after two lift pumps but it would still drop the fp with b100, b50 & b20 were ok on the pump.

Meat_

Banned
Yeah, the more time that goes by the more I think my injectors are borked. Did you leave the inline heater on when you FASS'd it? Wait, I guess you did cuz you were using the stock filter. FASS is about the best money I've spent, it's worth every dime to not have to worry about fuel psi. I don't know which turbo I have, but it spools fairly fast and will hit 29psi.

sixb

Will work for beer!
Yeah, the more time that goes by the more I think my injectors are borked. Did you leave the inline heater on when you FASS'd it? Wait, I guess you did cuz you were using the stock filter. FASS is about the best money I've spent, it's worth every dime to not have to worry about fuel psi. I don't know which turbo I have, but it spools fairly fast and will hit 29psi.

Yea My filter housing is in tact, I went with the pump only version, and also have had no issues with fp since other than b100. I think the lp is the achilles heel of the 24v. I should also mention that I alleviated my puke bottle in front of the fan shourd with the fleetguard up grade that seperates the oil and puts it back in the oil pan from an extra dip stick bung. Since droping the edge and adding the fleetguard upgrade I have no more oil leaks, before I had a few. The enviroguard eliminates crankcase pressure which helps with oil leaks. My truck is running top notch but I can't afford to drive it:-\If I had mucho dollars I would p-pump it and put it in a 91 chev crew cab dullay with the nv5600( I have a family of six) and run either home brew b100 or wvo.

If your turbo is stock it should be a hx35, also mine would it a high a 33psi with the chip maxed out. The edge is a beast of power but I think it shortens the life of the engine.

With the auto your truck would make a good hot rod:greg:

Meat_

Banned
Yeah it's fun to drive, I don't dare go above #3 though since I have a stock tranny :ugh:

I keep forgetting to say this, but on the '98 (not sure about the '01) the turbo timer needs a wire ran into the fuse box, without that the turbo timer can not work. (the wire just goes to the fuse for the engine)

desert runner

bronco build'n
Here's a couple pics of my tow rig.1979 f-250,400,4-speed,np-205.It's got about 70,000 miles on it and tows great.When the motor goes I'm thinkin about swapping in a powerstroke or a cummins,haven't decided yet.
jackspics022.jpg

jackspics035-1.jpg

dzeyer

I just installed some rear air lift bags to keep the truck level, but here is the fun train. Goin thru Malad Pass is the only time It drops under 70mph. Does pretty good.

Attachments

• P6130002(small).jpg
    P6130002(small).jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 52