Now that we know what you tow with, Let's see some pictures

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Here is my rig. Its not anything fancy but it gets the job done. 2001 F-150
imgp1386.jpg

When we need to go big though we let dad drive. 2003 Super duty 6.0L 6" lift 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ's with the 4 place ramp trailer.

imgp0919d.jpg

imgp0917.jpg

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
New to me:
1994 Ford F-350 Turbo Diesel 7.3L IDI
3" exhaust, ATS exhaust wheel, Trans, Boost, Pyro gauges, Brians Truck Stop Automatic transmission, new tires on factory Alcoa's, intercooler is mounted but not plumbed, 104k.

1266033232.jpg

1266033219.jpg

Big Rigs unite!

I saw a few more on here so I thought I'd add mine. I'd already posted it in the double trailering thread with my 2 cents about that, but I guess it belongs here more. This is a different pic than the other anyway; you can just see my 84 Yota in the back (+/- 7" lift and 35's, the one in my avatar).

Rig is a 92 Volvo w/D60 and 53' Kentucky double drop stacker trailer. Powerplant is stock but I have extra fuel cells on the frame that I use to pick up used oil whenever I can find it and burn that mixed with the diesel. Saves me a ton of $$$. I get about 11mpg on the highway with my 17' car trailer and driving at about 63mph to keep the rpm's down. Never calculated it with the full trailer as I haven't gotten to take many long trips with it yet.

Attachments

• PB010078sm.JPG
    PB010078sm.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 57

Bart

Rig is a 92 Volvo w/D60 and 53' Kentucky double drop stacker trailer. Powerplant is stock but I have extra fuel cells on the frame that I use to pick up used oil whenever I can find it and burn that mixed with the diesel. Saves me a ton of $$$. I get about 11mpg on the highway with my 17' car trailer and driving at about 63mph to keep the rpm's down. Never calculated it with the full trailer as I haven't gotten to take many long trips with it yet.

Now that's a tow rig. NICE!

Now that's a tow rig. NICE!
Thanks Bart. When I joined the Navy it was way more practical to buy this than to rent a shop for 4 years. Plus, when I do get transferred, I don't have to worry about packing up a bunch of stuff, selling a place or breaking a lease, and then having to find another shop once getting to the new location. The cost of buying this truck was about the same as renting a shop for 4 years and, of course, I'd have nothing to show for my money after 4 years of renting a shop. To add to it, the rig has a 2" receiver hitch so I can get rid of my 454 dually tow rig (still for sale BTW); hell, the rig turns better and gets about the same gas mileage as the dually did plus has a bed inside. Main disadvantage is that the rig's weight distribution is like 80F/20R so if you take it off the pavement in anything that's not hard packed, it'll be stuck in 5 seconds. I already have multiple off-road recovery stories for it.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Cheston, we spied your CrawlerHauler while picking up some parts just south of you...the guy who bought a green 1st gen Toyota. Your setup looks great!

sixb

Will work for beer!
Finally got around to replacing my Dodge dually:D It's a 99 F250 V10 automatic!

Attachments

• 2009-04%20(Apr)%20095.jpg
    2009-04%20(Apr)%20095.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2009-04%20(Apr)%20096.jpg
    2009-04%20(Apr)%20096.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 2009-04%20(Apr)%20097.jpg
    2009-04%20(Apr)%20097.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 24

planman

Each the wife, 17 year old son, and I all drive when we wheel.

So, we needed a way to make the 14-16 hour drive from Montana to Moab--among other places.

This is about 31k lbs CGVW (brakes on all 3 trailer axles, mods also on the dually, 6.5 mpg):

30k2.jpg

30k1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one of our haulers when the whole clan goes.

bigrigy.jpg
NICE!!! :thumbs: I have been trumped! hehe :bow:
I want to get a car hauler of some sort too so I can help out my clubs by carrying more than just my own rig. Although then I sacrifice having the shower, kitchen, shop and parts warehouse.

Attachments

• PC300230sm.JPG
    PC300230sm.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 48

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Here is my old Tow set up.

In the beginning there was my Crew cab GMC 750 4x4 four door with Detroit Deisel. Camper slid into the back. It was cool, but extremely underpowered and slow!!
26458230070_large.jpg

Next Came my custom three door Dodge 350, 12valve cummins.

26458230051_large.jpg

26458230136_large.jpg

Then came the Tow Rex 6x6. This one I regret selling. It was six wheel drive, with custom cab, camper went into the back, it towed great, but I wanted to upgrade to the newer Dodge. I should of kept it...:-\
26458230061_large.jpg

This is what replaced the Tow-Rex

26458230122_large.jpg

26458230068_large.jpg

This pulled very well, but after a trip to california we stopped at a scale and we weighed in at 27, 880 lbs. The truck had no problem pulling it, but my insurance company said that if I were to get in an accident, even if I was not at fault, no insureance would cover me.:eek: So for all of you who are pulling more than your truck is rated, you may want to be careful. You may find yourself not covered and out $Millions!!!!! So we bought a truck that was rated for that kinda weight.

So along came the GMC 5500 4x4

26458230125_large.jpg

It works pretty good, Duramax, 4x4 allison....etc....The Dodge could still out pull and out stop this rig, and out MPG this rig, but hey....Im covered!!;)
26458230137_large.jpg

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Now that is what you call Tow Rig Evolution!!! :greg: VERY NICE!!! I'm still waiting to see the picture of the new 5500 with the T-Rex up on the new flat-bed!!! ;)
Keep up the good work brother!
- Matt

LT.

Sprueitt has had them all and figured out a few things along the way. I am still not too sure about the new set up but, at least this way he is covered. My personal favorites has been the way ChestonScout had his set up with his camper and the old flatbed and the way Sprueitt had his last set up. I modified them both a little and that is how I came up with what I have now. Thanks fellas.

We just got back from Layton, Utah for some family events. Baby blessing, Mothers Day celebration, and the like. I pulled the Beater with the camper on the big flat bed to Layton and had Corey Casper pick it up and take it the rest of the way. I was only getting around 9 to 10 MPG on the way up there. On the return trip empty I was able to knock down 18.5 MPG most of the way. These are real numbers figured out the old fashion, hand figured way. Still, not bad I don't think, pulling around 17,000 up there.

LT.

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Here's mine

Kinda a tough act to follow, however it works well for everything that I tow.
06 F150.

))--SLIVER-->

Attachments

• TOWRIG.jpg
    TOWRIG.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 47