Our daily driver/camping/exploration rig; 1992 Toyota FJ80

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sounds like a great build, but are you sure your wife is going to like driving a 4bt? I have heard that they are pretty loud and rattle even more than a 6bt. Also does advanced adaptors make an adaptors for the nv4500/yota t-case?

When we started dating I had a '99 Dodge CTD that was straight piped... she liked that truck so much, I think it's what got me a 2nd date. She loved me for my truck. Yeah, I married the right girl. :greg: She has been daily driving our '03 Dodge CTD for the past year, they are much quieter than the older 6BT's and I have told her that the 4BT will be loud, but she's fine with it. I have even pointed out a Frito Lay van as it drove past us at the gas station. I'll be taking steps to quiet it down on the inside, but it's not going to be totally quiet and she understands that.

AA does make an adapter for a NV4500 to a FJ60 Landcruiser t-case, but not for the FJ80 t-case, which is full-time 4WD. I'm going to use the 60 t-case since it's the best option and I can ditch the full-time 4WD.

Seems like the 12.50's run a little wide for the stockers?

I believe the newer Tundra and Sequoia aluminum wheels are 8" wide, which ought to be fine for 12.5's. I'd love a 35x10.5x17, but I'm sure they aren't easy or cheap to find.

Meat_

Banned
I believe the newer Tundra and Sequoia aluminum wheels are 8" wide, which ought to be fine for 12.5's. I'd love a 35x10.5x17, but I'm sure they aren't easy or cheap to find.

Seems like the dudes in 80s on the last Swell trip with Kurt (that I went on) were saying that they had to stick to 10.5s

Greg

Admin
Seems like the dudes in 80s on the last Swell trip with Kurt (that I went on) were saying that they had to stick to 10.5s

From what I understand, a lot of it depends on how much lift they're running, what wheels and how much up-travel and flare trimming they want. I've been reading on IH8Mud a lot, the guys at Slee Offroad (Popular FJ/FZJ shop in CO) recommend 5" lift for 35's. Lots of people are trying to make 4" lift and 35's work and you have to trim the flare/mud flap, limit up travel, etc. And that's with the correct backspacing wheel makes all the difference. 10.5 would make the issue that much easier.

Bart

Really like the new rig and plans, but agree on the noise. We ran with a CJ3a with a 4Bt transplant, in northern Idaho this spring. I couldn't believe how loud that thing was. We knew immediately when he was within 30 feet of us. The spool up and waist gate sounded cool, the first couple times, but after that it was obnoxious.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
As with many motor configurations, its all how you setup the mounts, exhaust, timing, etc. I've heard some insanely annoying 4BT's, and some that are extremely tolerable. Many try and use standard motor mounts or even the 6BT mounts that while beefy are not made to handle the extra dampening the design of the 4BT needs (no harmonic balancer). By using the supplied 4BT liquid filled mounts, one can get things to a tolerable level.

Greg

Admin
Really like the new rig and plans, but agree on the noise. We ran with a CJ3a with a 4Bt transplant, in northern Idaho this spring. I couldn't believe how loud that thing was. We knew immediately when he was within 30 feet of us. The spool up and waist gate sounded cool, the first couple times, but after that it was obnoxious.

I'll be fine with the noise, if it's too much for Catherine I'll gladly daily-drive it. I wonder if you heard the CJ3A's engine would be louder due to a less-sealed engine compartment? I also think having a enclosed passenger compartment will help.

dynamat!!!!

That's one plan to quite it down, I know it will still be noisy and I'm just fine with that. :p

Greg

Admin
They're BLACK! :ugh:

Polished aluminum > dog feces > wooden wagon wheels > black wheels

:hickey:

And why should your opinion matter? :cody: :greg:

Did you see the part about the factory Tundra/Sequoia wheels? That will be the final setup, with 315's. The 33's on black wheels are a inexpensive-temporary option until the lift and engine swap are done. ;)

I borrowed this pic from 'jfz80' off IH8Mud, 17" Tundra wheels with 315/75/17 BFG AT's.-

attachment.php

Attachments

• wheel change 002 (Medium).jpg
    wheel change 002 (Medium).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 197

Brett

Meat-Hippy
And why should your opinion matter? :cody: :greg:

Did you see the part about the factory Tundra/Sequoia wheels? That will be the final setup, with 315's. The 33's on black wheels are a inexpensive-temporary option until the lift and engine swap are done. ;)

I borrowed this pic from 'jfz80' off IH8Mud, 17" Tundra wheels with 315/75/17 BFG AT's.-

My opinion means exactly what you think it means ;)

And those will look pretty sharp. I've always like most of Toyota's wheel offerings, especially when used on lifted rigs.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i dig those wheels on the 80!

side question... are dark charcoal/ gunmetal grey wheels ok Brett? :)

Coco

I meant just the engine. What about postal cars;)

Greg-Ya that would make sense. I havent heard about the half cuts yet, and why not stick with the cummins anyway?!? Cummins motors are the sh!t!

WJ- I ave just heard that RHD vehicles (minus postal vehicles) were illegal in the US since you are driving on the right lane. I dont know if this is true or not, but that is what I have heard. That is why only LHD vehicles are manufactured in the states.

Paul R

Sounds like you have some killer plans for the Cruiser! :D
I'm stoked to see it come along :greg:

Meat_

Banned
As with many motor configurations, its all how you setup the mounts, exhaust, timing, etc. I've heard some insanely annoying 4BT's, and some that are extremely tolerable. Many try and use standard motor mounts or even the 6BT mounts that while beefy are not made to handle the extra dampening the design of the 4BT needs (no harmonic balancer). By using the supplied 4BT liquid filled mounts, one can get things to a tolerable level.

Dude in Moab (Cruise Moab) with the sick kid was running a 4bt in his right? We all sat around the fire with it idling about 5ft away.... wasn't bad at all, infact my 24v is louder.