Our daily driver/camping/exploration rig; 1992 Toyota FJ80

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Dude in Moab (Cruise Moab) with the sick kid was running a 4bt in his right? We all sat around the fire with it idling about 5ft away.... wasn't bad at all, infact my 24v is louder.

Yup, they had 4 or 5 4BT's right there. The one (Ian) that shared our campsite had the maroon FJ60 with the roof top tent and the sick kid.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The first stage of mods are done and gathering parts for the engine swap has started!

I had these 33" BFG AT's sitting around, bought those Soft 8's from Summit Racing and have a good offroad wheel/tire setup on the cheap. Continuing with the cheap theme, I mounted up my own tires by hand. IMO there's no reason to pay $40 when I can do it at home! It was easy!

Also mounted up the IPF lights, they will be helpful when exploring in the dark.

The ugly chrome nerf bars came off too, combined with the taller tire the Landcruiser gained a good deal of ground clearance.

The windows were tinted and we got the A/C working well, hopefully to make this thing comfortable on long trips!

I also picked up the Cummins 4BT over the weekend! It came with a ton of extra parts for a GM auto which is making me consider running an auto. I'll probably still run a NV4500, they're great behind the bigger 6 Cyl Cummins and I'm not a huge fan of automatics.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 002 (Medium).jpg
    FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 002 (Medium).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 141
  • FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 003 (Medium).jpg
    FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 003 (Medium).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 26
  • FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 010 (Medium).jpg
    FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 010 (Medium).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 21
  • FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 005 (Medium).jpg
    FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 005 (Medium).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 51
  • FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 008 (Medium).jpg
    FJ80 tires-wheels-IPF 008 (Medium).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 24
  • GEDC0453 (Medium).JPG
    GEDC0453 (Medium).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 35
  • GEDC0454 (Medium).JPG
    GEDC0454 (Medium).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 107
  • GEDC0455 (Medium).JPG
    GEDC0455 (Medium).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 107

Greg

Admin
How are you going to register it, here in West Jordan that would be a problem.

It's already registered with the stock motor... but there's no inspection or emissions where I live. ;) I'm sure I could probably take it to Denver, get the title changed so it reflected the new oil burner, but IMO there's no reason to.

sixb

Will work for beer!
It's already registered with the stock motor... but there's no inspection or emissions where I live. ;) I'm sure I could probably take it to Denver, get the title changed so it reflected the new oil burner, but IMO there's no reason to.

Yeah emissions is what I was talking about. I picked the cleanest 6.2 diesel blazer I could find for my project so I wouldnt have to deal with it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
How are you going to register it, here in West Jordan that would be a problem.

I believe the DMV has a clear process for changing from gas to diesel, assuming it likely has to pass the diesel emission for the same or newer year of the LC though. Many have done this similar conversion, albeit on older Land Cruisers however their titles were changed to reflect the motor type without major issues. Mabey it harder than I'm thinking?

Since Greg is in CO it will likely never be an issue :D

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
They are both inline whats the difference;). Just say the motor is going out or has a bad knock and on you go through inspection:D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not sure if you are aware or not, but there is also a balance shaft for the 4bt's to help even out the vibes. :D

I'm sure you're on 4btswaps.com already... and if you need it there is a parts book available in PDF form, Kurt and I have it if you need it. :D

Greg

Admin
Well, the FJ80 had some issues and has been down for some repair and preventative maintenance since early Winter. Far as repairs it now has a new water pump, new upper & lower radiator hoses, new belts, new starter, etc.

It also received some mods that will make it more capable, comfortable and allow better communication. The biggest item was a new Old Man Emu suspension. I also added a Helton On Board Shower... much thanks to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for providing these parts! :hickey: I had a set of IPF lights (also from Kurt) and they were put aside in place of Checker HID lights. Sorry Kurt! The IPF's will end up on Catherines 4Runner. I also installed a Cobra CB, so I can keep in touch with other vehicles while on the trail.

The suspension is great, it really stiffened up the ride and body roll. The rear is a tad high, but it should even out when the Landcruiser gets loaded up with gear for exploring.

Sadly the 4BT was sold, so that is no longer in the works... but another turbo diesel is. :greg: And this one will be factory parts, which is going to be very cool. More to come later... ;)

Here's some crappy cell phone pics-

Attachments

• IMG00019 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00019 (Medium).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG00020 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00020 (Medium).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG00021 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00021 (Medium).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG00022 (Medium).jpg