Our daily driver/camping/exploration rig; 1992 Toyota FJ80

Paul R

When I read better communications, I thought your were gonna say HAM radio... Have you ever thought about getting licensed? They are way more handy than CB IMO...

It's looking good though... :cool:

How do you like the HID's?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks great Greg, I miss the days when my wife and I explored Utah more.

We're trying to squeeze in what we can, while we can.

When I read better communications, I thought your were gonna say HAM radio... Have you ever thought about getting licensed? They are way more handy than CB IMO...

It's looking good though... :cool:

How do you like the HID's?

I'd love to get a HAM, but for now a CB will have to do. It's better than nothing. :-\ I had a CB sitting around from when I bought my first Jeep... went out and got a magnetic antenna, got it wired up and my old CB didn't work. Since I was that far already, I just bought another CB. Eventually I'll pursue a HAM radio.

I haven't tested out the HID's at night, but so far I'm impressed. The light is so... white! They are amazingly bright, I can't wait to use them on the trail.

Bart

Wow, with all those repairs, couldn't you have put a 5.3 in there? :p JK, looks real good Greg. Love the scenery up in your neck of the woods.

Greg

Admin
Wow, with all those repairs, couldn't you have put a 5.3 in there? :p JK, looks real good Greg. Love the scenery up in your neck of the woods.

I was so tempted to do a V8 swap... you have no idea. I was ready to yank out the 3FE and be done with it. Doing the starter and water pump are both difficult and I had myself convinced that a V8 swap would about the same work. I wasn't prepared with parts or research on the V8 swap, nor do I have the funds, so I decided I was better off to fix what I had and get back out on the trail. A V8 swap would have taken more time and I'd rather be exploring!

The Toyota diesel will be pretty cool, use all factory parts, get around 30 MPG and have much better torque. I'm excited for that. :cool: Probably will do that swap this winter.

Those pics are on the CO Monument, just South of Fruita, 5 min from my place. We love it here too. :)

Greg

Admin
Looking great....get the diesel swap in and then sell it to me!

How about... no. :p

Looks soooo much better with the lift!
I love my OME setup and yes the coils will be just about perfect when loaded.

It does, I took it out on a quick offroad test tonight and it was nice to not drag the hitch everywhere. The springs are more firm, but it's a good thing. I have bottomed it out with the stock suspension, but not anymore.

Greg

Admin
Here's some pics of the Helton On-Board Shower I got from Kurt. It consists of a copper heat exchanger which the 2 heater hoses feed hot water into, then 2 smaller ports feed into the exchanger and your supply water circulates thru. It will warm up your supply water for warm showers! There's also a pump that you set into your fresh water supply, which is powered by a by the cigarette lighter. The last piece is the shower head. It puts out a pretty good stream of water, more than enough to rinse of the days trail dirt!

Attachments

• 100_0176 (Medium).JPG
    100_0176 (Medium).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0182 (Medium).JPG
    100_0182 (Medium).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0184 (Medium).JPG
    100_0184 (Medium).JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0175 (Medium).JPG
    100_0175 (Medium).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_0186 (Medium).JPG
    100_0186 (Medium).JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0187 (Medium).JPG
    100_0187 (Medium).JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 13

Greg

Admin
Some shots of the Checker HID lights comparing the low beams, high beams and HIDs.-

Attachments

• 100_0194 (Medium).JPG
    100_0194 (Medium).JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0195 (Medium).JPG
    100_0195 (Medium).JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_0196 (Medium).JPG
    100_0196 (Medium).JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_0199 (Medium).JPG
    100_0199 (Medium).JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_0198 (Medium).JPG
    100_0198 (Medium).JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_0197 (Medium).JPG
    100_0197 (Medium).JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 172
Here's some pics of the Helton On-Board Shower I got from Kurt. It consists of a copper heat exchanger which the 2 heater hoses feed hot water into, then 2 smaller ports feed into the exchanger and your supply water circulates thru. It will warm up your supply water for warm showers! There's also a pump that you set into your fresh water supply, which is powered by a by the cigarette lighter. The last piece is the shower head. It puts out a pretty good stream of water, more than enough to rinse of the days trail dirt!

I'm over the moon about that shower! What a grand thing! :chris:

Greg

Admin
I'm over the moon about that shower! What a grand thing! :chris:

I'm not much for being dirty or going without a shower, so this was a no brainer. Being dirty is my biggest limiting factor to long trips, so I have no excuses now!

Having hot water will also be handy, imagine cleaning up camp with nice hot water!

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Greg,

Thanks for the pics of the shower. I've been thinking about getting one and it looks pretty simple to install.
What was the plumbing process like?

Also, did I miss where you said what motor you're puttin in it now?

Greg

Admin
Greg,

Thanks for the pics of the shower. I've been thinking about getting one and it looks pretty simple to install.
What was the plumbing process like?

Also, did I miss where you said what motor you're puttin in it now?

Not a problem, glad to help. The shower is very straight forward to install. You cut into both heater hoses near the firewall and add a 'T' to each one. One 'T' feeds into the heat exchanger and the other 'T' feeds out of the exchanger. From there, you hook up 2 smaller hoses for your fresh water supply, one in (cold) and one out (hot). Honestly it sounds much more complicated than it really is.

The one thing I will say... don't use cheap hose clamps. My local NAPA had some Chinese clamps that would strip out before they tightened. I had a few leaks, found some USA made hose clamps at CarQuest and snagged a few of them.

I haven't said about the motor yet, but it will be a Toyota 1HZ that's going to get a turbo. :greg: Also the FJ80 automatic will go away, in place of a H55F 5 speed mated to a FJ60 split-case for part-time operation. That is, if I go thru with it. So far I've almost swapped in a 4BT and seriously considered Gen III GM V8 and a older GM TBI V8. The 1HZ will take a good deal of work and parts acquiring, but it should be very worth effort.