Outdoor Retailer trade show

lhracing

It looks like the Outdoor Retailer trade show is coming back to Utah in 2023 but not without controversy.

There are a number of companies that are not happy about the move because of Utah’s elected delegation's support of the shrinking of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments. These companies have said, “We will not support or attend an event in Utah”. I will keep this in mind when I spend my money to purchase products for my outdoor use by not supporting these companies and I hope others will consider this as well.

Here is a list of these businesses.

REI, Patagonia, The North Face, Public Lands, KEEN Footwear, Oboz Footwear, Kelty, Sierra Designs, Peak Design, Toad&Co, SCARPA, MiiR, NEMO Equipment, Backpacker’s Pantry, Smartwool, Therm-A-Rest, MSR, Timberland, Helinox, GU Energy Labs, La Sportiva, Alpacka Raft, Icebreaker, Arc’teryx

Corban_White

I agree with @jeeper . However, all it is is posturing on their part. I will take them seriously when they do what they expect their customers to do and put their money where their mouth is. When they close their Utah stores and stop shipping merchandise to Utah customers and retailers, then I'll believe they actually care about whatever issues they claim to be all about. Until then it's just more marketing. As far as the show goes, there are some great small companies in Utah that would be a welcome addition. Sounds like a win all around.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm happy the show is back (for obvious and selfish reasons), but I hope some of those companies try to understand there are multiple sides to the land use debate held by their customers.

I really like Nemo and kelty tents and bags. I'll certainly think twice before buying from them again.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It looks like the Outdoor Retailer trade show is coming back to Utah in 2023 but not without controversy.

There are a number of companies that are not happy about the move because of Utah’s elected delegation's support of the shrinking of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments. These companies have said, “We will not support or attend an event in Utah”. I will keep this in mind when I spend my money to purchase products for my outdoor use by not supporting these companies and I hope others will consider this as well.

Here is a list of these businesses.

REI, Patagonia, The North Face, Public Lands, KEEN Footwear, Oboz Footwear, Kelty, Sierra Designs, Peak Design, Toad&Co, SCARPA, MiiR, NEMO Equipment, Backpacker’s Pantry, Smartwool, Therm-A-Rest, MSR, Timberland, Helinox, GU Energy Labs, La Sportiva, Alpacka Raft, Icebreaker, Arc’teryx
Thank you for the list. I'm glad the show will come back, and I absolutely hope those companies stay true to their word and stay out of Utah. Like Jeeper said, more room for the up and coming.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I always struggle with the Outdoor retailer show. I see all the back and forth in news stories, the claims about bringing $ into the state and to be honest I just don't think it means anything to me. From what I understand you have to be a vendor or something to even get into the show. General public isn't invited. FanX claims to have 65000 in attendance, are they even going to be half of that, tenth?

Just for giggles looked up events happening at the Salt Palace --> https://www.visitsaltlake.com/salt-palace-convention-center/attend/facility-calendar/

I'm amazed the place stays running. I guess government efficiency at it's finest.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ya, but fanx nerds go home and play video games. Outdoor retailers go out and have dinner and drinks. 50 million into local businesses each year from outdoor retailers. Probably $500 in their allowance spent at taco bell for the nerds on their way home from the larping symposium.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Im going to assume only hippies buy stuff from those companies anyways....

I must be a super hippy because I’ve bought from 5 of those brands in the last 2 months

Hippy checking in. I've been avoiding the real gucci stuff from Patagonia, North Face, and Arcteryx for years, and I haven't set foot in an REI since that stunt they pulled with Vista Outdoors. But I've got stuff I like a lot from Keen, Kelty, NEMO, Smartwool, MSR, Thermarest, and Helinox. All good brands and decent quality gear. Keen in particular makes the only set of boots I've found that actually fit my foot shape well. It'll be a while before I need another pair, but I'm going to have chew long and hard on whether to keep giving them my business.

I feel, in general, that companies are not people and should not be throwing their weight (money) around in political debates. The land use issues we face in Utah are absolutely political in nature, and would not be as contentious as they are if both sides weren't using them to rile up their respective bases instead of looking for a compromise and a resolution, and having companies like Patagonia fanning the flames so that they can sell more tshirts doesn't help at all. So any time I see a company weigh in on either side, they go WAY down on my list of companies to patronize, and when they act like REI and Patagonia have, they're off my list entirely.

I don't care where the Outdoor Retailer Show does it's thing, to be honest, but if Patagonia et al don't want to play in Utah that's their loss and I approve 100%.

DAA

Yeah, I have gear from at least half a dozen of those companies. Most, bought years ago and have long since decided not to buy anything from them again. Unfortunately, bought a pair of La Sportiva boots fairly recently.

I do try to avoid supporting those on that list. They're giving us the middle finger. So eff them too.

- DAA

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have gear from almost every company on that list. I buy at least one pair of Keen shoes a year because they make the only bearable ESD shoes on the marked and I have to wear them at work for 12 hours a day.
I have shifted most of my outdoor gear money to motorsports companies who have improved their quality of outdoor gear. I have a bit of gear from KLIM, big agnes, Lone Rider and other moto centric companies that have started to fill the gap left by these ass hat's posturing. The ADV motorcycle market has really helped to produce light weight camping gear for non hippies. The market decides and I hope these and more companies take the bait.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Honestly, not sure I have the space in my brain to track the political views of companies.

I don't make it a mission to do in depth research on every business I support, but I do go out of my way to avoid companies that are on my "known offenders" list, or have an asshat at the wheel.
REI, Northface, Patagonia all top my list. I don't care if they have good products. My cash won't go to support their agenda.

The same goes for local businesses (the Bayou for example). I like(d) their food, but Mr. Alston can continue to suck it.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I nearly exclusively buy fuel at maverik because they advertise to my type of recreation. I don’t know if they actually care, and I don’t know what other companies think about land use.. but maverik claims to be my friend, and they have ethanol free fuel to back it up.