overhead garage storage solutions

airmanwilliams

man thanks for the great ideas guys. im going to be renting a house from my uncle in farmington and it desperately needs some garage shelves. I really like the winch hoist idea too that someone suggested, great way to hoist some old hotrod stuff up to store for future use. Sounds fairly easy to do the shelving if you dont have much building experience, although wiring outlets and light will probably be left to my uncle to do I might get some cheap led light strips to wire into the garage door lighting. Seems like a good place to set up a bed for the inlaws when they come to stay with us too :D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
here is an idea of what i'm working with-
my garage is messy, i spent quite a while working on it before i got distracted
photo3.jpg
photo.jpg

this area above the window is where i want to put the 4x8' shelf but i realized there will be issues with the drop in the ceiling (if i keep it 8' long) and the garage door track. i'll have to figure something out
photo1.jpg

this is the opposite side of the garage where i'll probably build a little shelf too.
photo2.jpg

this is what i was distracted by- my bil's '05 klx300 and my friend's '76 honda MR250 Elsinore. pretty cool to ride a 36 y/o dirtbike.
photo4.jpg

N-Smooth

Nate, you would like my storage room in the basement. I will post up pictures.

please do. most of the stuff on my shelves right now is from my basement. i am framing the basement right now (also on my pre-kid "bucket list") and so i moved everything up to the garage. i have a gorilla shelf unit that i will keep down there in the laundry room so quite a bit of that stuff will go back down there. i'm not sure how much more storage space i'll have down there since it's only 450 sq/ft but i like seeing other ideas

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
My son-in-law built a series of frames from wood and slides plastic bins into them. Very neat clean and accessible. Will try to get a picture to post here. It sits above his garage door when it is open. The only drawback would be size and weight restrictions.

N-Smooth

i've seen those before, pretty cool idea. i just worry about putting too much weight in a bin and having it fall on my truck or car

N-Smooth

finally got it done. here is the only pic i have and it's completed and loaded full of stuff. i used some small square tube i had to build it. i think it's 1.25" for the (2) long pieces and .875" for the (3) cross braces and vertical supports to the ceiling. the wall mounts are some 2" .120 strap that i had lying around. i cut it into 8" pieces and welded it to the back side of the "frame" with half of it above and half below the frame. i put in a bunch of 1/4" lag bolts into the studs. the ceiling mount uses the same strap and i made it just long enough to get into two of the ceiling joists.

making it 4x8' meant it was going to go under the drop in my ceiling but that part of the shelf actually fits my Christmas tree box perfectly so i went ahead with it.

photo.jpg

i definitely could've taken more time (it only took a couple hours) and made it all nicer/cleaner but it's solid and i'm super impressed with how much stuff fits up there!

N-Smooth

that is the side wall of my garage, i have shelves on the wall to the left. the shelves are now half-empty from all the stuff i took off of them to put on the new overhead shelf. i am sure they will fill back up soon. i found all those old band posters and jeep stickers in a tote from years ago and thought i'd throw them up

You could also put in shelves but then you would cover all your pictures.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I built my loft almost exactly like others have posted, but I added a hoist setup for putting axles and other heavy items up there.

Attachments

• 654262d1329775626-using-2-post-lift-get-junk-up-into-attic-space-shop-imag0073.jpg
    654262d1329775626-using-2-post-lift-get-junk-up-into-attic-space-shop-imag0073.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 654263d1329775626-using-2-post-lift-get-junk-up-into-attic-space-shop-imag0074.jpg
    654263d1329775626-using-2-post-lift-get-junk-up-into-attic-space-shop-imag0074.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 26

N-Smooth

your hoist brings the awesome! i remember when you were talking about building that forever ago. i wish i had room for a loft, there is only like 18-19" above my garage door. my brother-in-law has like 6' above his and it makes me super jealous.