overhead garage storage solutions

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have just over 4' in my loft. The hoist has a harbor freight ATV winch on it, wired to a riding lawn mower battery. I only charge it every other year, and I can lift 2 waggy Dana 44's up there at once.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Look, Costco copied you!
http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=saferack

500-11773136-847__1.jpg

sixstringsteve

My friend helped me paint my garage this past weekend, and I'm ready for some more shelves. I have a super tall ceiling, so I'm going to take advantage of it. I'm hoping to get a shelf up tonight.

Here's the spot it's going in. 11' tall, 16' wide:

2012-11-05_07-54-11_481.jpg

Wood is easier to source and cheaper, so I'm going to go with something similar to this:

Here is my BIL's shelving.

russ's BIL's garage.jpg

I'm trying to decide on one giant shelf 4' tall, or two 2' tall shelves. I don't really have any huge things I need to store, so I'm thinking of making it two rows of storage.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking of using 2x4's. It's not as robust as Rholbrook's but I think it should be fine. I'll be using lag bolts into the studs.

garage%2520storage%2520shelf.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm a total noob when it comes to building stuff like this.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The main problem I have with these suspended shelves is that it is difficult to securely fasten 2x material that is under tension. If you put much weight up there, there is a tendency to pull apart. To help with that, I'd put the ceiling 2x on edge, drill part way through with a hole big enough for a washer on the lag screw, and use good long screws. This gives you a full 4" (ok, 3.5) to bolt the vertical hangars to, keeping the bolt much farther from the end of the hangar 2x. For even more security, use plumbers tape (the metal strip with holes in it) between the lag screw into the ceiling and the bolt through the hangar 2x. That, or just put a couple legs on it....

Oh, and just because you want to, about 10,000 screws :D

sixstringsteve

THanks for the feedback, I think that's what I'll do. I'm going to get this thing built tonight so I can get the garage cleaned.

I'd rather not have legs on it if I don't have to.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Here's a very-temporary storage area I built about 2 years ago. (still temporarily in use today, although a lot of the weight is gone from it now) It's 2 2x4's, a sheet of 7/16" waferboard, and 3 smaller width-wise braces that won't do much for strength. I used ratchet straps to lift it into place, then screwed steel strips between the 2x4's and the roof trusses. I left the straps in place just because.

You can see the 2x4's have bowed over time....I don't like that too much. Because of that, I'd maybe double up the front-side 2x4's on yours? I'm assuming the back one will be bolted to each stud, so there should be no bowing problems there.

But what do I know, wood and I don't get along very well. :greg:

IMG_2702.jpg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
When I saw this thread pop up it inspired me to solve the problem of needing more space in my garage. As it is my garage offers me about 1000 square feet to park and store all my junk. But as we all know, there is no such thing as enough garage space.

The ceiling in my garage is 14 high and the third car side is 35 feet deep with the final 15 feet being walled in. I used 2x10 for the wall plates and trusses and 3/4 OSB for the floor. In all it took me 2 full days to do this by myself (with the exception of my wife helping me hang the wall plates ) and clean up the mess.

239CA41D-4143-46C8-9D52-17592B702438-7127-000006E50A56C08F.jpg

93D42753-05BC-4CE2-9B6E-DC15DBDD2189-7127-000006E51049852A.jpg

There is about 5'10" of space in the loft......so for someone short like me (5'8") there is enough room to stand up.

Since desert racing has taken up a lot of our time, I am needing more space to work on bikes. Therefor I am planning on making this loft my bike work space. I am still working on a design for a ramp that I can winch up out or the way that the bikes can be ridden up.

One piece or folding? Right now leaning towards 1 piece.

YOUKNOW

When I saw this thread pop up it inspired me to solve the problem of needing more space in my garage. As it is my garage offers me about 1000 square feet to park and store all my junk. But as we all know, there is no such thing as enough garage space.

The ceiling in my garage is 14 high and the third car side is 35 feet deep with the final 15 feet being walled in. I used 2x10 for the wall plates and trusses and 3/4 OSB for the floor. In all it took me 2 full days to do this by myself (with the exception of my wife helping me hang the wall plates ) and clean up the mess.

239CA41D-4143-46C8-9D52-17592B702438-7127-000006E50A56C08F.jpg

93D42753-05BC-4CE2-9B6E-DC15DBDD2189-7127-000006E51049852A.jpg

There is about 5'10" of space in the loft......so for someone short like me (5'8") there is enough room to stand up.

Since desert racing has taken up a lot of our time, I am needing more space to work on bikes. Therefor I am planning on making this loft my bike work space. I am still working on a design for a ramp that I can winch up out or the way that the bikes can be ridden up.

One piece or folding? Right now leaning towards 1 piece.

Voted best garage of the forum!!

My wife and I were just talking about garage storage yesterday then I saw this. She loved all the ideas you guys had. Great info.

blznnp

there are a good amount of houses in my development with the 3rd bay thats a RV size bay, I would love to have something like that for the storage space like anderson750 and throw a lift in there.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Now that I have some more storage I would like to improve the lighting. Any suggestions? I only have two lights right now and they just don't cut it, especially cause the new shelf blocks some of the light from one of them. My real concern is wiring up new lights. Can I reuse my current wiring for some bigger, brighter lights?

I think I'd like to add a couple big 500 watt halogens in the corners and just plug them in to the wall but I need more overall lighting too

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Those 500 watt halogen lights will take more power and not give as much light as a couple fluorescent fixtures will. They will act as nice 500 watt heaters though....

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
see, this is why i ask :D

i always thought a couple of them in the corners would be nice and still might do that regardless because they are $12/each.

what fluorescent fixtures can i run in place of my incandescent bulbs/can i use the "stock" wiring :rofl:
they had the dual 4' T8 shop lights at walmart and lowe's for pretty cheap but i'm not sure they're very bright without having a ton of them.

okay, go

Those 500 watt halogen lights will take more power and not give as much light as a couple fluorescent fixtures will. They will act as nice 500 watt heaters though....

sixstringsteve

what fluorescent fixtures can i run in place of my incandescent bulbs/can i use the "stock" wiring :rofl:
they had the dual 4' T8 shop lights at walmart and lowe's for pretty cheap but i'm not sure they're very bright without having a ton of them.

I just did this in my garage this past weekend, and in addition with painting the walls semi-gloss white, it makes a HUGE difference. I have 3 total 8-foot tubes and my garage glows. It's crazy how much more light I have in there. With the help of some great friends, I pulled out my regular light bulb socket and wired in my florescents into that wiring. They draw less power, so the wiring is plenty for those. I do know that some bulbs putt off different color light. At the recommendation of a friend in the know, I got 6500K bulbs and I love 'em. Even my neighbors notice how much brighter my garage is.