overhead garage storage solutions

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't know what all the differences are in the numbers (T5, T8, T12)....but I know one of them is going away, and bulbs will be difficult or impossible to get in the future.

I have 4 6-bulb T5 fixtures in my garage and it's well lit.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
so you got the fixtures with (4) 4' tubes or (2) 8' tubes? where did you get the fixtures and bulbs and what did they cost? i'm sure you shopped around, that's why i ask. my garage isn't very large, only like 20x23' so i was wondering if i could get away with doing 2 of the (2) 4' fixtures off of each already wired fixture. i know positioning will be an interesting part as well and plan on two of them being where the existing lights are and the other 2 a little ways forward and probably suspended a couple feet down and maybe even angled.

I just did this in my garage this past weekend, and in addition with painting the walls semi-gloss white, it makes a HUGE difference. I have 3 total 8-foot tubes and my garage glows. It's crazy how much more light I have in there. With the help of some great friends, I pulled out my regular light bulb socket and wired in my florescents into that wiring. They draw less power, so the wiring is plenty for those. I do know that some bulbs putt off different color light. At the recommendation of a friend in the know, I got 6500K bulbs and I love 'em. Even my neighbors notice how much brighter my garage is.

N-Smooth

the ones that seemed popular at lowe's and walmart were the t8's but i dunno

I don't know what all the differences are in the numbers (T5, T8, T12)....but I know one of them is going away, and bulbs will be difficult or impossible to get in the future.

I have 4 6-bulb T5 fixtures in my garage and it's well lit.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Finally got around to building the ramp to the loft I built. I built the main running frame out of 3 inch channel with 1 1/2 square tubing for the cross braces and #9 raised expanded metal for the floor.

A864FAEA-FB66-4974-96B5-0EB0C7CB0A51-4531-0000063B693F09B2.jpg

22FC0C69-2DA3-4E8B-8A46-8AC2D8C53014-4531-0000063B5E4F9A03.jpg

1139E073-8C62-4AD8-9820-5D2E8C87DBCB-4531-0000063B6419F21D.jpg

It is hinged where it attaches to the loft. My next project is to rig up the lift so that I can raise it up out of the way if needed.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

i added some lights. i'm not done with the wiring yet but man they are bright and affordable

lights.JPG
lights2.jpg
lights3.jpg

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Looks like all you would have to do is attach a pulley to the ceiling. How heavy is the ramp? Looks like a neat set up for your garage.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Looks like all you would have to do is attach a pulley to the ceiling. How heavy is the ramp? Looks like a neat set up for your garage.

The ramp is probably about 300 pounds. I have pretty much figured out how I am going to hook it up. Since I can get the car backed in without having to lift the ramp, I have not had any immediate motivation to get it done.

N-Smooth

E670C23E-59E0-45BB-B886-BF80A2A631C8.jpegThread revival time! I can't believe how long ago I started this thread and it's one of my favorites so I figured I'd bring it back rather than start a new one.

So my new place has no garage shelves, obviously and I want to fix that. I originally wanted to start shelving on the wall opposite the garage door on the 2 car side but decided I should probably wait until I get tools and stuff situated before messing with that space.

So I came to the conclusion that overhead is the ticket for now- just to get nonsense storage stuff out of my face. So... I need some advice from others that have built out overhead storage/lofts. The space is just a hair over 20' wide, just over 3' from ceiling to the top of the chain and "this" side of the beam hanging down 3" is ~5' making it a pretty simple 20'x5' shelf/loft.
Most of the storage items will likely be totes but of course random crap will end up there too. I'm bummed the height isn't more like 4' so I could stack totes but it is what it is. I think I'm happy with the 5' depth so it's more reasonable to get stuff from the back without having to climb all the way up there. I could of course make it significantly deeper so I'd like some advice based on experiences others have had with similar space.

Now on to the technical portion. For me to run a 20' length like that, would 2x6 construction be gravy? I really wish 2x4 would be up to snuff but I just don't see it. The studs above the door and the beam above the front of the shelf really make upright supports simple so I'm pleased about that.

N-Smooth

This type of storage intrigues me. However, I'm not sure about the weight that could be put in each tote.
It’s all fun and games until a tote falls on my wife’s car and she murders me… and then cuts me up and puts me in the totes.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Amazon. This one, although there are MANY similar options. https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-1...&keywords=yavanu+4+panels+100w&qid=1641524922

Absolutely love them so far. Super bright. I've only had them like 6 months so far though, so we'll see about longevity.
I bought similar ones from Amazon and like them. Also bought a couple of the same type from Costco and see no difference. I'm swapping all my tube lights out for wing lights. Brighter, instant on and capable of being aimed.