Phatfoto --- The man of steel

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Phatfoto (AKA my friend Roger L) seems to be spending the last year becoming the man of steel. Last fall Rog got a knee replacement done and has shown phenomenal recovery. As part of that we decided on Sunday to ride down Middle Canyon on bikes (pedal).. unfortunately about 15 minutes into the ride Rogers front tire lost all pressure while we were doing around 35-40 MPH down the hill, I was behind him and saw his front end wobble quick and he went onto the soft shoulder and took flight... he landed head, shoulder, back. When I got back up the hill to him after stopping I knew he was messed up, his helmet had left him and was a few feet away and all he could do was moan through his mouth filled with dirt. I did a quick assessment and forced him to not sit up or move and had the one person that stopped out of about 20 that drove by head down the hill and call an ambulance.

Long story short he is at the U right now after being life-lighted from the Tooele Hospital. Major concussion (he would forget how everything happened not 10 seconds after I would complete telling him) and at least 2 broken vertebrae and bunches of scratches etc... Yesterday they did surgery and pinned from T7 to T12, he also has a break at the base of his skull and a crushed artery. His memory is getting better and he is no longer in the critical care unit.

It looks like he is in line to make a great recovery and is in good spirits.

Anyhow for those that know Rog I know that if you wanted to visit him up at the U he would appreciate the support.

Here is the what his helmet looked like after he landed on it :eek:

Attachments

• 2011-08-21 11.47.56.jpg
    2011-08-21 11.47.56.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 128

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Man, that's awful. Everytime I'm on a steep decent and hit speeds like that I'm always paranoid about how bad it would suck to go down.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It doesn't take much sometimes to wreck us. :(

I've wrecked going that fast on the road with nothing more than bad road rash... and I've wrecked going a third of that speed and uh.. broken my collarbone and torn up my shoulder. :mad:

The Fates were very unkind to Roger this past weekend. :( Hopefully he'll recover in a hurry. :D

DOSS

Just got back from Visiting Roger.. Guess I need to add 4 broken ribs to the tally.... sigh..

I read him everyone's replies and he says thanks :)

Taco.. why do you have to put me on the list.. that wasn't cool

DOSS

I haven't been able to get him to answer his phone today.. so I don't know but that doesn't mean much.. he is enjoying his morphine drip and goes in and out of being awake anyhow.

DOSS

Well Just talked to Rog (Guess I posted a bit too quick) he is doing well.. not a lot different from yesterday, he did take a few steps today so that is a good sign.. If you know Rog give him a call and wish him well if you can't visit ;)

I gotta say, that helmet looks terrible. thank god it took the beating it did
yeah.. I would hate to see his head without that helmet on...

M

muddyjeep

Ive been gone for a week or so. How is Roger doing? Hopefully some improvement?
P.s. I just bought a Helmet for the Bike!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
talked to him the other night, he is in sort of clamshell brace, and has been transferred to the rehab unit at the U... having a little memory trouble and everything hurts, but much improvement. Will be up there until abut the 9th... :(

one of those freak accidents... be careful, wear your helmets!!!

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Typing isn't much fun with the angles I'm limited to. The crushed vein now puts me at risk of stroke. How Long? Unknown. The great big road rash scab on my right shoulder is all gone, but the rash is still visible. Due to the break at the base of my skull, I'm in a neckbrace for up to 15 weeks or so. Though any time I wish to sit more than 30* upright, or get out of bed, I have a huge clamshell brace I have to wear for at least 8 more weeks. Overall, I'm messed up. But I have motion where I should and feeling too. I am having real memory issues still. But my strength is returning and rehab hasn't killed me yet. In the area, come see me... Could be here as long as the 22nd.