Phatfoto --- The man of steel

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Here ya go Brother LT!

I'm beat. Yesterday afternoon the vendor responsible for my brace came to alter it, and took it away. Which lead to lots frustrations yesterday and This morning. The brace was returned just before noon today. SOOOO much better fit. Which lead to a highly compressed OT session and back to back PT sessions. So I was exhausted afterwards.

But I covered lots of distance, managed a lot of time standing, lots of getting up and down from chairs. But the biggie today was STAIRS! I climbed their short stack several ways. I still have some strength to gain, some extra work getting myself dressed. Wife and daughter get me in and out of the brace very well. No way I can get it myself.

While this recovery is seriously different than my knee recovery, at least I'm not dealing with that instability. So I feel much stronger and confident having gone through some of the same exercises just a few months ago.

So I've run the gammut of emotions today. In the end, I'm doing very well as a survivor. Today has been a breakover day day no doubt.

LT.

That is awesome! Keep it up and you will be back on the mountain bike in no time. Keep the faith and keep working on the recovery. We can't wait to see you back in fighting shape.

LT.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
so i went to see Roger today, he is in fine spirits-- and a lot of gear! As fate would have it, he was about to head to another PT session, so our visit was cut short, but he is doing great, and will be home ASAP. His family was up there with him, which was nice to see. :D

I had to bring him a couple magazines to pass the time-- 4Wheel & Offroad, and the latest Mountain Bike Action.... with a helmet comparison heh heh

See you soon, Rog!!

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
so i went to see Roger today, he is in fine spirits-- and a lot of gear! As fate would have it, he was about to head to another PT session, so our visit was cut short, but he is doing great, and will be home ASAP. His family was up there with him, which was nice to see. :D

I had to bring him a couple magazines to pass the time-- 4Wheel & Offroad, and the latest Mountain Bike Action.... with a helmet comparison heh heh

See you soon, Rog!!

helmets are good things :)

If anyone wants to help me get parts to build Rog a Recumbent trike

Last edited:

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Well the general consensus for the last couple days, I've checked off everything major needed to go home. Occupational and Physical therapists have worked with my family to make I'm able to do what I can and for them to keep me safe. What this breaks down to, is I could go home Monday.

sorry I couldn't spend more time with you Tacoma, I found out you could have come down with us after you were gone. Damnit. And I got my ass kicked too.

This brace is from the back of my head to my waist, and wrapped all around me. Without it, I can't sit above a 30* angle, and I have to have it to walk. And at night I sleep in a neck brace. These will be my fashion statements for the next couple months.

So yesterday I called myself a survivor. I'm ready to start living again. This is going to take a lot longer than my knee did though. Almost time to get moving. After everything I've been through this year, knee, other injuries now this, just don't even think about getting in my way!!!

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I got home yesterday. And with this brace keeping my head looking up, getting on the net isn't easy. But I think we got it figured out for now. Lots to do. I've been out walking a few times, trying to get my distance and stamina up. More as I get going...

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I've been home now for 2 weeks. I'm doing pretty well I suppose. I don't know how folks in my condition should feel 5 weeks after this major of an accident.

Scott ran me down to the WERock event Saturday. It was a blast but 2 hours was the end of me. I might have managed longer but I broke my lawn chair. No way I could stand long enough to last much longer...

My physical therapist beat the snot out of me today, upping all my exercises today by 33%. Good thing I trust the guy, he also did the rehab on my knee as well. Funny thing, I'm looking forward to getting back to therapy on Thursday... Weird, I know.

I have a couple doc appointments this week. Hope to get the neck brace off, or at least down to a cervical collar. That will help my mood drastically. Then I might be able to drive myself too.

So for the most part, I'm able to do a lot for myself. But bending down to get the dishes from the bottom rack of the dishwasher is tough, and the stuff in the crisper drawers of the fridge isn't any easier. I can't get in and out of the brace myself. I still need assistance with a few other things. But I could be worse. I do know how blessed I have been...

Just thought a little update would be good for everyone..

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Good spirits? I'm on a cloud and still don't quite believe it. At my appointment, new Xrays were taken and the doc was happy with my progress. She took my TLSO brace off! I do have limits. But not many. I do have to wear the cervical collar for two more months. Which leads to my greatest restriction. No driving until the collar comes off. But I can attempt to return to work Monday if I choose.

Without the brace, I feel remarkably vulnerable. I need to start some core work, and have specific directions from the doc to my Physical Therapist. And I hope I gain enough strength in the back so it will stop trying to cramp up on me...

Color me very happy this evening. I don't know if this is a normal time frame after fusion or if I'm special. I still have a follow up appointment tomorrow with physical therapy group at the hospital. I am certain, thanks to my own PT, they will be pleased.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Realized I hadn't updated here in a while. So today is 10 weeks since my wreck. I'm not dwelling on that day as much as thinking about my future. Yes, I have been lucky, and am glad I can walk and use my hands. I know how bad it could have gone.

I must be sick, as I LOVE going to therapy. I treat every session as a workout. I use the time and mileage on the stationary bike towards my winter goals. I've gone back to work at 7 weeks, and put in 2 days the first two weeks and 3 days this past week. Until I can drive, I will be taking one day a week off for therapy. I hope to have the cervical collar off at the end of November. But that isn't a guarantee. I can't drive until I have it off.

Therapy is going well. I keep getting weights added to my ankles and stronger resistance bands... We started doing work on the back muscles and I got a portable TENS stimulation unit to calm the back muscles down. It is obvious to me, that I will be in therapy for some time. But if this goes as well as my therapy after my knee replacement, I'll be done with therapy well before the average. My therapist's goal for me is to be ready for circuit training in the gym when I'm discharged from therapy. I also have to remember, that this isn't something to rush, and just do what I can as I can as I heal.

I've lost weight, which I've wanted to do for some time. A bit over 35 pounds so far. I do NOT suggest this as a weight loss method. The cost per pound is ridiculous! The day I wrecked I weighed 294 pounds. This morning, I weighed in at 258. Less than I've weighed in over 7 years. I need to set some goals though, as I really haven't worked at this loss, the first 20 were in the hospital.

I'm putting my bike on the indoor trainer for the winter. Just as soon as I can get the rear wheel trued. I'd like to get 500 miles on it over the winter. But 1000 would be better... I'll need at least a new front wheel before riding it outside next spring.

So, I'm doing pretty good. I know where I've been, and have a really good idea where I want to be. I'll try to update this more though!!!

LT.

I've lost weight, which I've wanted to do for some time. A bit over 35 pounds so far. I do NOT suggest this as a weight loss method. The cost per pound is ridiculous! The day I wrecked I weighed 294 pounds. This morning, I weighed in at 258. Less than I've weighed in over 7 years. I need to set some goals though, as I really haven't worked at this loss, the first 20 were in the hospital.

This made me laugh. Heck of a way to go on a weight loss program. You can't argue the results but the cost both physically and emotionally must be out of this world. Next time I am in town we will get lunch. Take it easy and it was good to talk to you on the phone.

LT.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I had a reminder today how lucky I am not to be paralyzed. A friend of mine has a cousin that had a seizure last summer, broke his neck in that seizure and is paralyzed. Yes, I am lucky, had a visit with the rehab doctor this week. He is happy with my progress, and I visited the therapists that I saw while in the rehab section. They love seeing former patients return healthy. I still have my cervical collar, but hope to have that off middle of next week when I see the neuro-surgeon. Feeling stronger, but still have a long ways to go. My back still hurts, but its tolerable and I'm off one of the narcotics. Still have another for breakover pain. My shoulder is still numb except for a bundle of nerves right at the collar... And my feet still have that moving nerve pain. Physical Therapy is going very good, yes it makes the back hurt, but its getting the muscles working right again. Still amazed how easy it is to completely murder my back with something as simple as a sneeze.

My therapist is also taking care of Tacoma and that is entertaining.