Phatfoto --- The man of steel

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
will pay for video of said event.

How much? I could use the money. hahahha

there's two things about Roger and I at therapy;

1. When I am stretching my shoulder out and it sucks, I think, "Hey, look at Roger over there, he broke everything and he's going right along. Get on it, Sally".
2. When a guy with everything broken tells you your therapy looks like assault and is difficult to watch, it's a good indicator that it really is as painful as it feels.

Roger shamed the barely-out-of-high-school chick the other day during some leg exercises. That was pretty mint. :D

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I forgot to mention that!!! She really should have used the lesser resistance band. Walking sideways, wide stride with the bands. Its TOUGH!!! Also, remembering to keep your feet pointed straight in front of you. Bend at the hips and the knees. She couldn't keep up, and I had good fun telling her to keep her feet straight, don't let the band relax, don't let the band pull your foot back. Bet she still hurts!!! The therapist did the same thing with me the week before and he was hurting the next day too.

Again, you humble me... I'm just doing what I can and what I need to. Although, I treat the session like a workout. And I still have the cervical collar on. I'm not even half done yet.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
How about an update? Some of you might have seen these pics on FaceBook. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good, considering. I got my cervical collar off Nov.29th, and had most restrictions removed. I still can't participate in high impact activities, no Mountain Biking, no aggressive ATV riding. NO RUNNING! In the past couple weeks I've had a couple very humbling moments, where what could have happened has been driven home. I've never taken for granted any stage of my recovery.

Now for that show and tell. First, my outward reminder.
2011-11-24_14-18-23_428-1.jpg

With the birthmark, my daughter quickly noticed I have an exclamation mark on my back now.

And the damage to the T9, is very obvious.
Surgery004-1.jpg

Surgery003-1.jpg

These show the main damage and some above and below. These are slices from the CT or MRI, not sure which. I had 6 CDs of animated imagery to make screenshots from. No easy way to pull single images off the CDs. I can't see the damage in my neck images though. I just don't know what I'm looking for.

And my new internal hardware (Upgrades?).
Surgery012-1.jpg

Surgery014-1.jpg

There wasn't enough material in the T9 to screw into. Thats the point where you see the bridge between the rods. While I'm lucky my injuries are in the least flexible part of my back, I know I'll miss that flexibilty later in life.

I went back to work in mid October. Part time. It wouldn't have been possible, except I ride in a vanpool. They even picked me up and dropped me off at home. Even my co-workers have been patient with me. My back muscles are very weak compared to before the accident. My neck isn't really weak, but still quite stiff and sore, and I have limited ability to turn my head to the right. Otherwise my Range of Motion in my neck is good.

Since I'm back in the gym, I'm using very low weights just building my strength again. I'm pleased that my pain is reduced to the point I can be off the pain killers. Don't get me wrong, I still have some pain, but its not something I can't manage. I still have meds available if I need them. Again, I take nothing for granted. I also realize I'm still fragile and early in my recovery.

There isn't any way to express how I feel towards all those that helped me. Scott probably saved my ability to walk, the ambulance crew, the first ER crew, the medic on the helicopter, and everyone at the hospital including the rehab staff. I also thank you folks for the well wishes and prayers. This has been an amazing journey. Not one I would have ever taken on my own for sure. Humility has never been a strong point of mine, but I have had to learn how to ask for help and now understand that isn't always a weakness. But especially appreciate my family and closest friends for all they've been through with me.

I'm just glad to be here and able to wish everyone a Happy New year!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not that I am happy that you got wrecked enough to need all that, but those are rad X-rays: and the fact that you're recovering as well as you are-- at all, really!!-- is AWESOME. It's been inspiring to see you getting after it.

Ogre Palowakski

Wow! I just discovered this thread.

I'm glad that you pulled through and are recovering.

I can somewhat relate to your experience. On December 5th I broke my leg (tibia and fibula) in my krav maga class. If that weren't fun enough, during the operation to put a titanium rod in my tibia I had blood clots go to both lungs and another blockage in my heart. I died during the operation. I don't remember anything. No bright lights (or demons, lol), or grandma, etc.

At some point, someone came out to tell my wife that she will need to make a decision regarding life support. They revived me though. Now I'm slowly healing and am on blood thinners.

I appreciate life now more than ever!

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I hate those pictures... well the one of you in a towel at least :p... Glad you are still trucking along Rog :)

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Yesterday might have been my last day in Physical Therapy. I have a couple muscles in my neck that are tight and hard and aren't relaxing. Might just need more time, but everything else is moving forward well. I'm doing pretty good. Get to the gym a couple times a week, takes a few days to get things calmed down enough to go back. I still have a weight limit of 25 pounds overhead, and that is hard and fast. Besides, I wouldn't want to have more than that right now. Other weights as I can tolerate. Its been a bit shy of 6 months since that bicycle crash. I pushed things a LOT with my knee, but that's not going to happen with my back. Odd, I've had several people ask me this week if the hardware is permanent. Never thought about it, but can't imagine it wouldn't be. The folks asking had broken wrists and such with the hardware removed later. I'm pretty sure mine is permanent.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
A year ago today (well, Tuesday the 21st is a year), I crashed. I'm grateful Scott was with me, or I'd likely be in a lot worse shape. Without going back over the whole story, I'll just state that I'm doing pretty damned good. I have no weight limits beyond what I can tolerate lifting. And so far, I've lifted my English Mastiff... I do still have some nerve issues and my stamina is still lacking. Few days pass that I don't think about how lucky I am. To have good friends around me, family close at hand, and a good physical therapist. And I've been lucky to be able to heal well it seems. After my knee replacement, I pushed things pretty hard. Not so much with my back. I hope to need nothing more than a Tylenol or Aleve for pain in 20 years. So far, I'm on track. Yes, I do indeed get sore, but its just the muscles not spinal pain. Thanks all for reading and well wishes...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That's a pretty impressive recovery. Makes my back ache just looking at the x-ray photos. Glad things turned out as good as they have so far.

LT.

That's a pretty impressive recovery. Makes my back ache just looking at the x-ray photos. Glad things turned out as good as they have so far.

Man, you ain't kidding either. I hurt just looking at the photos. One of these days we are going to hook up at least for lunch or something. I will be in Utah the second weekend of September.

LT.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I can tell you that he did not skimp on the rehab. Very important. Plus, he was very lucky all around--- the right things happened (or didn't) at the right time. :D But the rehab was all Roger pushing through it.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Its not quite 2 years.... First I still think of what could have been everytime I see someone in a wheelchair. Second, the friends around me have been fantastic and I hate that I put you through it at all, but THANKS for everything none the less. Calling out Scott and Tacoma in particular... I just can't express enough. My family, even though they never read this, all the same as my friends. Damn we've had a rough couple years... Of course a good surgeon is a bonus, I was doubly lucky, she is easy on the eyes as well. I look forward to seeing her again in August. Perhaps for the last time. I do know, I hope to never need her professional services ever again!!!!

I was recently asked what MY inspiration was. Easy answer. When I was laying in bed feeling sorry for myself, I thought about my brothers and sisters coming back from Irag and the 'Stan in worse shape than I was in. And maybe never able to walk or even feel things again. And worse. Who am I to complain about MY situation? For those that don't know me, I am retired Navy, retired in 2001 just before the towers fell... I have talked with a few of these brothers and can't even begin to tell you the strength that gives me to carry forward every day. Otherwise, I'm just a guy trying my best to move forward every day.

So I've been in and out of the gym a bunch, but also managed to put back the weight and then some. Jeez, I need to get rid of it. While many can't even tell I was hurt, I'm only about 90%. I get sore and tired easy. If I do too much, I can easily blow right past some invisible line that marks being fine the next day or hurt for a week. Sure, its the least flexible part of my back, but I can tell you I do notice.

I have new fears I've NEVER had. ANd no easy way to resolve them yet. Immersion therapy doesn't help either... Just saying.

And for a bit of fun, I've learned some things I call my 4 Universal Truths...
1. Its better to feel than not.
2. Any day walking on the dirt is better than any day sleeping in it. (Really, I'm not that deep a thinker!!!)
3. It is NOT a sign of weakness to ask for help.
4. Any day you can wipe your own butt, is a good day.
Take from these what you will, I don't own them.

Its been a good year for me otherwise. Slowly getting to some projects I've put off too long and glad I can do them myself. Even if I'm slower than I like. At least, I can...