Pics and Bandwidth

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Jeremy
They don't come out the other end bad. Just the intake.:D

They really are great tasting...its just the pain in your mouth five minutes later that prevents you from eating more...

harkinoff

something to do...
to bad to hear this Greg!!! sticker sales didn't cover much I take it.... if you make more stickers would you have some with the sticky side to the outside of sticker(so you can put sticker to inside of windshield), just a thought!!!! I agree delete some of those stupid old threads.. and I could care less about smilies, and spence, how do you put more than one pic on a thread? that would be cool to learn!!! I'm just a brainless Electrician that could wire your steering wheel with 220 volts to get your attention...so a step by step essay about how to post more than one pic on a single post would be cool.and Greg I would be glad to pitch in a 20 to your board to help you out with growth... I say yes to red star..................

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Shawn and etc.,
Smileys aren't all bad unless like I and Kurt said, you gotta click on every damn link to follow a thread only to find that the link you clicked on is a farting hippo or pissing calvin or a smiley showing his crack or pulling his pants down, what a waste of time. If they appear on the post then who cares, the more the merrier. Right now I've got ten browser windows minimized trying to follow all of the pics of your trail run yesterday.

1) Delete all old threads. Particularly "chit chat", etc. Clean out the "for sale". No one cares if XYZ wanted a power wigit arm last August.

2) Banner ads. Make em small. My company will buy one! this month's web hosting sponsored by ABC motorsports.

3) no pop ups.

4) Membership. Make it cheap, $5-$20 or so. You get a window decal for your rig or etc. for it as well.

5) Friends of RME.com trail runs. (fund raising). $5 per vehicle. (goes to web hosting). This means Greg would actually have to show up!

6) RME pizza parties. Every month on the 3rd Wed or whatever. Everyone that comes puts $4 into a jar or whatever. Make it cheap enough that no one minds parting with it.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by EZRhino

5) Friends of RME.com trail runs. (fund raising). $5 per vehicle. (goes to web hosting). This means Greg would actually have to show up!

I like this Idea, there was too many people yesterday, but I wouldn't have cared at all if they were pitchin in 2 bucks towards RME just for the honor of runnin with Britney:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great ideas EZ... RME trail run dontations would be great, and deleting for sale and wanted adds from more than 4 months would be a savings as well....

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
As far as for sale and wanted ads go, they could be deleted as soon as the originator posts them as sold (or acquired). If they stay on the board for a period of time (say 3 or 4 months) and they have not been sold (or acquired), then trash them.

If the user still needs to have that post going, he/she needs to update it and bring it back to the top to keep it active.

I agree with getting rid of unnecessary posts in other forums as well. General 4x4 discussion, and especially chit chat. Once they get to be a certain age, they are gone.

Let the moderators decide if a thread should be kept when it is time to delete it. Maybe move it to an archive.

For example, the thread on Utah lift laws seems to surface every couple of months, so that might be one they keep active or keep in an archive. At least until the laws get changed.

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by Jeremy
if they were pitchin in 2 bucks towards RME just for the honor of runnin with Britney:D

Dude I thought that we had to pay to wheel with Britney, didn't you see the five spot that I left you?;)

Anywho, I would think that a membership charge would be good; but, would that drive away newbies?

I don't think that I would have payed anything to become a member when I first started out here.

Also like what has been said before, I like this site because it is local, user freindly, and relativly small. I signed up on the POR board but there are WAY to many people there, IMO.

I think that the RME trail runs would be a good idea, but like Jeremy said, with that many people there the trail would be congested and not be any fun.

Maybe do something like the Red Rock 4-Wheelers club where there are multiple trails, varying in difficulty, lead by moderators or members.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
ok lets put this down once and for all.

having 1 million posts on a board DOES NOT TAKE UP BANDWIDTH!! it takes up disk space which is not at issue right now.

first and foremost PICTURES take up bandwidth. transferring a post is like 1 or 2 kilobytes of information every time it is accessed.

Pictures can be up to 60 kilobytes per access. it adds up fast and with multi picture posts PICTURES ARE THE PROBLEM. hosting them remotely is the key and see the other post in this forum for information how to do so.

I don't see this board as needing to be a pay board if we just remotely link our pictures.

here is the problem with re-linking things from inside the board from previously uploaded pictures, it still takes up bandwidth. The only way to nto take up bandwidth with your pictures is to remote link them from another website.

imgbuttonisyourfriend.jpg

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
...like Jeremy said, with that many people there the trail would be congested and not be any fun.

Actually Jeremey said there was too many people out there yesterday...But if they had been each payed a buck or two... he wouldn't have cared... I'm with him... tons of vehicles on a trail isn't always the coolest, but if its for a good cause...let it ride!:D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I must say that I appreciate everyones concern and input. Large amounts of Bandwidth use hasn't been a problem before, so it's never been addressed. This is new territory for me, too.

I'm seriously considering the idea of Donations. Here's my general plan. It's still in the works, so it may change-

Donating members and Moderators will be able to attach pics, since they paid for or work on the Forum. Non-donating Members can post, but won't be able to attach, untill they Donate (There's always the option of Remote Hosting, like Spence mentioned.) That way, those that pay reap the benefits.

I think there would need be a minimum donation, say $10 for a year??

Over $40 would get Donating members a 'you@rockymountainextreme.com' email address and a RME Sticker.....??

Anyone who contributed to the Winch Raffle will be included in the Donating Member list. I think thats only fair....

Thoughts?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
sounds like a good idea to me. I want to keep this board up and running and I want people to learn how to use all the resources availible through this BBS. Internet savy people are at a premium in this world and I think Internet savy 4X4 enthusiasts are even more rare!! lets get organized and in control!!

Greg

Admin
Oh, yeah.... I've been busy deleting old posts. So far I just been messing with the Chit-Chat Forum and For Sale. I won't delete any of the Trips threads.

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by muleskinner
How about more raffle's? I'd be in for another winch raffle, beadlocks,rockram steering, or whatever.:)

I'm not sure if Raffles are enough. Mabey in addition to the Donations? We'll see.......

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm quite stupid when it comes to lincing, hmlt, bla, bla, bla,,,.

I would rather help out the board with cash then to try and link this with that. However, if I must I will.

I will also kick in another $50.00 if Spence will get off his "I'm Holier Than Thou" Attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Shawn
I will also kick in another $50.00 if Spence will get off his "I'm Holier Than Thou" Attitude.

Bahahahaha!! You might as well hang onto your money then!

Oh, and Spence is Holyer than Thou..... :p

Last edited by a moderator:

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Wow this is the first that I have heard of this problem. Half of gregs bill is probably my fault. I have always thought the more pics the better. Guess I know better now. The big problem I see with remote hosting is that half the time they don't work or they don't stay working and then you get that annoying red box. I am no internet genius so maybe I'm doing something wrong???