Pics and Bandwidth

<-------------Look, I got rid of the leg-humping-dog avatar just to help!
I like this forum, I'd gladly send my $. Tell me when and where.
I think donations are a good idea.
On top of that, I'm a new guy here and I like it. Newbie friendliness is great here.

I think I should add that I probably wouldn't have paid to join having not known what it would be like. It's deffinitely worth it. When I get back to Utah I'm in for $50 too. Just give me a couple months.

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Shawn
I'm quite stupid when it comes to lincing, hmlt, bla, bla, bla,,,.

I would rather help out the board with cash then to try and link this with that. However, if I must I will.

I will also kick in another $50.00 if Spence will get off his "I'm Holier Than Thou" Attitude.

so you would pay to eliminate your competetion in that category huh shawn? it sucks when people horde in on your turf :)

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Shawn

No it Sux when people try to blame rather than resolve.

Your and a$$hole and I'm an a$$hole I get that, you just tend to come off harder than you need to as a moderator.

understood.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
<---------------AVATAR hosted remotely....uses ZERO RME resources :)

Originally posted by crimsonride
<-------------Look, I got rid of the leg-humping-dog avatar just to help!
I like this forum, I'd gladly send my $. Tell me when and where.
I think donations are a good idea.
On top of that, I'm a new guy here and I like it. Newbie friendliness is great here.

I think I should add that I probably wouldn't have paid to join having not known what it would be like. It's deffinitely worth it. When I get back to Utah I'm in for $50 too. Just give me a couple months.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Originally posted by spencurai
first and foremost PICTURES take up bandwidth. transferring a post is like 1 or 2 kilobytes of information every time it is accessed.

Pictures can be up to 60 kilobytes per access. it adds up fast and with multi picture posts PICTURES ARE THE PROBLEM. hosting them remotely is the key and see the other post in this forum for information how to do so.

the problem with re-linking things from inside the board from previously uploaded pictures, it still takes up bandwidth.

QUOTE]

So I am almost savvy but not ever near hosting/ creating.
Why is it that if you relink to a pic already hosted through RME that it takes up space? Other that speed on a thread?

I also want to know how if the memory is already used in an RME pic and we link to say a photopoint pic that is visible as a JPEg through RME that it doesn't take up space? It still is a pic that you can see regardless of wether or not it's hosted here or elswhere.
How is it that linking to a pic thats already hosted here (as apposed to just showing the pic) saves bandwidth and if so how much does it really save?

So greg can you do a BB system like you can do a truck? Just buy the biggest and the best right away and quit screwing off with pennies and spend a few bucks? I'm in for 50 on shawns rig with spence being a 3rock underdog... now wheel... :)

BTW I'll donate some calendars (like there gonna sell now :) ) to the first ten people to pitch in ten bucks to RME.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
re linking withing the sight still transfers the picture from RME webspace to your computer taking up BANDWIDTH. re-linking internally only saves web space not bandwidth.

when you upload a pic to RME it goes on the ISP hard drive. every time you view it, it is transferred from the ISP hard drive through the internet to your computer. this uses bandwidth. When you re-link, you point to the same picture without uploading another copy of it to the RME web server. saving web space but not bandwidth.

lets get some terms straight before we continue

web space is like storage on your hard drive.

bandwidth is a measurement of transfer of files.

getting charged for web space is like paying rent on a storage shed.

getting charged for bandwidth is like a toll booth on a highway, you get charged more money for more travel back and forth on the highway.

When you link from another site, all RME does it open a hole in the post for the picture to fit into. the picture from another site does not get downloaded to RME, it skips RME and is put together on your computer by your internet browser.

for those of you familiar with logistics and ordering let me give you an example of how linking works,

when you order a part from 4wheel parts, they might have it there in the warehouse or they might have to ship it to your house from the supplier, instead of getting it shipped to their warehouse and then shipping it to you, they do what is called drop-shipping where they ship direct from the supplier to your house and unbeknownst to you, it appears that the item came from the 4 wheel parts warehouse instead of the supplier.

when you link, you are drop-shipping your image straight from a remote site to the individual that views the post. the image never hits RME, it goes straight from the remote host to your computer. so RME does not get charged for the traffic.

I should write a book or something ?!?

any more questions? I am glad to answer anything!!

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
k- lainmans terms are great. I'll definetly try and upload to web shots from now on.
Can you put down a way to link ealily to a remote host. Not just use the IMG link, but a way for the non savvy to know how to get a pic from one place to the other.

sukaB

Banned
Damn I hate being out of town when I miss out on things like this

GOsh Guys stop being so mean to poor old Spence....

I'll donate 50 bones if people stop deleting my threads and pictures......

BASTARDS-------hehehehehe
You know who you are........

I love RME :D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Skyetone
k- lainmans terms are great. I'll definetly try and upload to web shots from now on.
Can you put down a way to link ealily to a remote host. Not just use the IMG link, but a way for the non savvy to know how to get a pic from one place to the other.

The IMG link is about the only way to remotely link. you could type in the html manually but that is what the IMG does for you automatically. you just have to get good with uploading images. it takes some getting used to but it works. check out the other link that is stuck on the top of the general 4X4 page about the various methods of hosting remotely.

Originally posted by spencurai
<---------------AVATAR hosted remotely....uses ZERO RME resources :)

You mean I can have a leg-humping-dog avatar and use zero RME resources? Hot damn!

I didn't like the dog all that much anyway, I'm looking for something better. Anyway, remote posting is easy, I've opened a imagestation account and all that and it was a piece o' cake. I'm totally computer illiterate too so if I can do it anyone can. I'll still donate if I need to though.

SpeedyVic

Hi All. I am a new member to this board and just wanted to let you all know that I think it is great.

I would definitely be willing to pay/donate to the cause.

Also, have ye ever thought of making a decal to put on our rigs with the RME logo? This would maintain some cash flow, be another form of advertising for the site, and also give the person something in return for the money they would donate/pay.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by SpeedyVic
Hi All. I am a new member to this board and just wanted to let you all know that I think it is great.

I would definitely be willing to pay/donate to the cause.

Also, have ye ever thought of making a decal to put on our rigs with the RME logo? This would maintain some cash flow, be another form of advertising for the site, and also give the person something in return for the money they would donate/pay.

Just a thought.

Yeah, Greg sells them. Check out the classifieds forum.

sukaB

Banned
Greg,
Please fix this crap with the pictures....
can't you at least add some more smily's to the side bar then.
At least flipoff,tree hugger,Moon and pimpsmack cause i can't even put the smack down on Spence or anyone else cause you got it blocked just like the cus words....
I know this board caters to the Mormon and I don't want to affend the Jeremy's or SKYCHROME's of the world or anyone else who doesnt beleive in crawlin on sunday but jeesssssss.........
How about freedom of speech and not bein byass........
I love all people and just want to get along and hand out some smack's every so often free of charge.......

Thanks from the bad boy club of RME.......
No I'm not the president just a member so don't kill the messenger..........:mad:

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
hey jerkoff, just cuz you cant say all the vulgar things that come out of that sh!thole you call a mouth, doesn't mean that you need to cry. If you can't lay the smacketh, with out using a four letter word or using some smiley dude, that uses an obsene jesture to speak for you, then you need to just hand over the crown king smackoff. Bad boy this.... :D

Now back on subject..... We all have been arguing about what can and or should happen with this board.

But the almighty GREG (he did create the board after all so he is our god here :D ) hasn't really said what the basic or final plan is. I am curois also about weither or not the new upgrades will have smiles on the side (been discussed since the boards invention) and how big he plans on going.

Can you fill us in? Oh and what basic timeframe? This pic issue is an issue...