Colorado Planning a trip from GA - looking for ideas.

To everyone on here that gave me awesome ideas, wonderful tips and those that offered to join me to guide - thank you! Unfortunately, the final decision ended up a no-go. Lots of factors involved, but the final straw was a big Toyota event in my area that I was expecting to be the week after I got back, but instead ended up being the week I had planned for this trip.

So instead of it being now, I will likely plan this trip again after I get settled in at my new duty station up in Washington. Maybe it'll happen next year; we'll see. I think I'll probably just try to remember this thread and maybe restart it if/when the planning begins again.

Greg, this is a very long shot, but what's 21 Road like in February? Too snowy or icy to be fun? I'll be towing my junk cross-country around that time so there's a tiny thought in the back of my mind to try to make a stop or two along the way if possible.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg, this is a very long shot, but what's 21 Road like in February? Too snowy or icy to be fun? I'll be towing my junk cross-country around that time so there's a tiny thought in the back of my mind to try to make a stop or two along the way if possible.

Personally, I wouldn't want to run 21 Road in the Winter. It will be iced over and completely frozen, not fun at all. On top of that, towing cross-country AND over the mountains in Feb doesn't sound like any fun at all to me.

Trip is back on!!

I will be in Moab from October 4th through the 17th with a side trip to 21Rd and maybe Billings Canyon on the middle weekend.

Can anyone explain to me how the whole Billings Canyon payment schedule works? I've read that the first six obstacles are one flat fee and then each of the following thirteen obstacles are "pay as you go".

Greg

Admin
21 Road in October will be perfect! Ideal temps, you may even see a bear or 2!

I haven't heard anything about a payment system on Billings... it's on public land and last time I was there there wasn't any fees. Where did you get that info, out of curiosity?

I haven't heard anything about a payment system on Billings... it's on public land and last time I was there there wasn't any fees. Where did you get that info, out of curiosity?
I know I've read about it being that way a few times in the years leading up to this trip, but here's where I got it today (last updated in 2008 though sooo....): www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=161

"The trail involves "billings" so there must be payments along the way. The first six obstacles are prepayments -- smaller obstacles that will challenge you and give you a good warm-up for the coming obstacles. After the Prepay obstacles come the true payments, Pay 1 through Pay 13."

Is it just some sort of weird play on words maybe and I'm just taking it too literal?

Thanks for the clarification Greg. All these years..... SMH. :rolleyes:

BTW Greg, you gonna have a rig and able to come hit Billings and 21Rd between October 11th and 13th (Sat-Mon)? I know you said you were interested in joining a long time ago.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Thanks for the clarification Greg. All these years..... SMH. :rolleyes:

BTW Greg, you gonna have a rig and able to come hit Billings and 21Rd between October 11th and 13th (Sat-Mon)? I know you said you were interested in joining a long time ago.

No problem!

My only rig these days is a JKU on 35's and I'm not into beating it up on trails like 21 Road and Billings, unfortunately. And a JKU on 35's would be the bare minimum on the easier parts of 21 Road. Billings? Too much for me.

Anyone have any pictures of the sandy wash-out, cave-like area on 21 Road? I'm trying to find pics for my buddies in case we have to camp there (is that allowed?). I can't seem to find anything no matter how I search.

Pile of parts

I can't help with any trail info - never been there but certainly interested. Have you narrowed down what day you're going to run it. I should have the jeep back together and be able to join you if you don't mind.

Greg

Admin
Anyone have any pictures of the sandy wash-out, cave-like area on 21 Road? I'm trying to find pics for my buddies in case we have to camp there (is that allowed?). I can't seem to find anything no matter how I search.

You can camp if you REALLY want to, but it's wet and very rocky. I would recommend finding somewhere else to camp.... if you go up a little further, there is a high spot on the left side of the canyon and would make a great spot. It's just several hundred feet up from the overhang.

The only pics I have are OLD.... http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?879-21-Road-Aug-3rd-02

You can camp if you REALLY want to, but it's wet and very rocky. I would recommend finding somewhere else to camp.... if you go up a little further, there is a high spot on the left side of the canyon and would make a great spot. It's just several hundred feet up from the overhang.

The only pics I have are OLD.... http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?879-21-Road-Aug-3rd-02

Wet? Has it been raining a lot or does the stream just have some water right now? I've only ever seen it bone dry.

And now that we're hoping to be the first onto the trail, we probably won't be camping on the trail anyway.