Colorado Planning a trip from GA - looking for ideas.

You can camp if you REALLY want to, but it's wet and very rocky. I would recommend finding somewhere else to camp.... if you go up a little further, there is a high spot on the left side of the canyon and would make a great spot. It's just several hundred feet up from the overhang.

The only pics I have are OLD.... http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?879-21-Road-Aug-3rd-02
Yeah, the spot I'm talking about must be the second one you refer to because it isn't in any of those pictures either. I remember it being on the left, slightly off the trail and higher up, almost completely protected from weather and with a VERY sandy base - almost like beach sand, but very dark grey in color. But, like I mentioned just a bit earlier, we're trying to get on the trail early so as to return earlier now. Trying to get over to Billing's so that we can do the same routine there Sunday and be back in Moab Sunday night.

By the way, can anyone tell me what time grocery stores and liquor stores are open til Sunday night in GJ and if the beer is normal or low% like UT? We may be doing a beer and supplies run on departure.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
By the way, can anyone tell me what time grocery stores and liquor stores are open til Sunday night in GJ and if the beer is normal or low% like UT? We may be doing a beer and supplies run on departure.

There is a City Market on 24 Road which is open 24 hrs. Sunday night at liquor stores... depends on which one. The Fishers Liquor Barn is one of the biggest (and about 1/2 mile from City Market) and I think they close at 6 pm? And no low % beer is allowed in Colorado... :greg: Colorado has awesome beers.

Pile of parts

Looking like as early Saturday as possible. Maybe 0800ish.

Early Saturday is good and you answered my next question in a later post - Billings Canyon early on Sunday. We would have to head back to Salt Lake Sunday afternoon/evening. I am definitely interested in both trails and will keep in touch.

Pile of parts

Oh yeah, and you're asking about alcohol % in a state where smoking the devil's lettuce is legal. :D

There is a City Market on 24 Road which is open 24 hrs. Sunday night at liquor stores... depends on which one. The Fishers Liquor Barn is one of the biggest (and about 1/2 mile from City Market) and I think they close at 6 pm? And no low % beer is allowed in Colorado... :greg: Colorado has awesome beers.
Great, thanks Greg!

Early Saturday is good and you answered my next question in a later post - Billings Canyon early on Sunday. We would have to head back to Salt Lake Sunday afternoon/evening. I am definitely interested in both trails and will keep in touch.
Cool. I'm sure I'll keep the info current here. And we can swap numbers later if needs be.

Oh yeah, and you're asking about alcohol % in a state where smoking the devil's lettuce is legal. :D
Haha. Didn't even realize that. I'm from the "bible belt" where they don't sell alcohol on Sundays, so it's in my nature to ask to be sure. :usa:

Pile of parts

Cross your fingers for me, I have more to finish on the jeep than planned (should have been done by now but the new transfer case installation resulted in a stretch and floorboard modifications along with all the other things that go with it) To make matters worse, I'm doing a lot of time out of town for work this week and next. If I make it home Friday night, I'll have all day Saturday to pull a marathon and hopefully wrap it up. Unfortunately, there's a chance I won't get home until Saturday night. I'll let you know how I do - I really have my heart set on this trip.

Pile of parts:
I don't know if you're gonna get fixed in time anyway, but it looks like the trip to GJ is going to get moved for a few reasons. I hate to say it, but it looks as though it is NOT going to happen this weekend now. Probably going to happen mid week now, like Thursday-Saturday.

Pile of parts

Well, another week out of town. Needless to say, I'm still behind on getting this thing put back together. Really wish I could have made it but with your changes it wouldn't have worked out for me anyway. I hope your trip is going well and that you'll at least post some sort of trail report. That way I can live through your pictures. I'll keep the Grand Junction area on my list - I have other friends who want to go there as well and maybe we'll meet up on another trail some day. Be safe and enjoy the wheeling.

Trip was awesome! With as many rigs as we had and two weeks of wheeling, there was a LOT of wrenching in between rides - but we expected that and were largely prepared for it.

The Grand Junction trip ended up getting cut short though. Near the end of 21Rd, somewhere in The Gauntlet I presume, I broke a PS rear axle shaft and, during the process of winching out - with a very weak anchor point - I blew the PS front RCV out too. That made for slow going for the last 1/4 mile of the trail, which is unquestionably the roughest part. My buddy towed me up the exit trail to the top and I drove back to camp from there. Rather than trying to fix both axles AND wheel Billing's, we decided it would be wise to just head back home and not tempt fate any further. My buddy's rig had to be loaded up on the transport to head back east from Moab about 48hrs later, so that was a major determining factor too.

For the record, and for future wheelers reading this from web searches, 21Rd is an awesome trail. If you're a hardcore wheeler, I'd highly recommend going out of your way to run this trail. If you're not willing to get body damage or not prepared for major mechanical breakage, don't go too far out of your way since it's such a short trail, but you can still have a great time, just know your limits and turn around when the going gets rough.

Pile of parts

Glad you had a good trip. Sorry about the breakage but I guess you have to expect something with what we put rigs through. I just walked in from the garage, finally finished mine. Took a lot longer than planned. Maiden voyage on a local trail tomorrow and Coyote Canyon on the 21st. I will make it to the Grand Junction area sooner than later.