Please teach your kids road safety

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

Riding a dirt bike on a State highway after dark, without any lights.

It’s somewhat rural out here, but people all over Utah let their kids ride/drive offroad vehicles as a routine. I love the freedom it allows them, but they need to be taught the traffic rules, for their own safety and the safety of others.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
We’ve had two 13/14 yr olds in our neighborhood in the emergency room with serious head injuries recently because of e-bike accidents. More distracted drivers + more access to “motorcycles” is a dicey combo for these kids.

Good reminder for all parents.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Had a couple situations in Eagle Mountain last year like this. One where a 14 year old on a dirt bike killed a pedestrian at a sidewalk, and another where a couple 12 year olds ended up in the emergency room after running into a car.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Good reminder.
It's can be as easy as pointing out to kids why we do things when we're driving so it's intuitive when they get to that age.
I was just doing this last night with my boys in the car and I agree, a basic understanding goes a long way. When we ride our motorbikes to church I stop and correct them every time they do something wrong. It feels tedious at times but pays off when I see them not repeat the behavior.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
What happened to us? Yesterday I was the 16 year old that always tried to hit 60 in a 25 driving down my buddies street to his house to pick him up and today I’m yelling at punk kids, including my own, that are doing stupid things on e-bikes on my street.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What happened to us? Yesterday I was the 16 year old that always tried to hit 60 in a 25 driving down my buddies street to his house to pick him up and today I’m yelling at punk kids, including my own, that are doing stupid things on e-bikes on my street.
In the dark? Without any lights? Your situation is just teenage stuff. No lights in the dark is a habitual stupid act.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was just doing this last night with my boys in the car and I agree, a basic understanding goes a long way. When we ride our motorbikes to church I stop and correct them every time they do something wrong. It feels tedious at times but pays off when I see them not repeat the behavior.
This is how you raise good drivers, too.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Saw a guy park his 5 year old on a 3-wheeler (yes, I'm that old). The kid hit a telephone pole at WOT. Ambulance did not have the sirens going when it left with him.