Power Train Swap On A Budjet????? CJ-8

Scram7

I have a 83 cj-8 that was born with a 258 and a t-5 I have been reasearching different swaps and would like some opinions on a Engine +Tranny and coupling capabilities to my existing 300 t-case. Keep in mind I am a poor strugling family man building a Trail Rig. :greg:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Scram7 said:
I have a 83 cj-8 that was born with a 258 and a t-5 I have been reasearching different swaps and would like some opinions on a Engine +Tranny and coupling capabilities to my existing 300 t-case. Keep in mind I am a poor strugling family man building a Trail Rig. :greg:

If you would like to come and see what I did with my cj8 I'd be glad to show you. I put in a 4.0 from a 99 TJ, AW4 auto from a 95 cherokee, and dana 44 axles from a couple of wagoneers. I kept the dana 300 since it only required a simple adapter/clocking ring to bolt up to the aw4. The 4.0 uses the same motor mounts and brackets as the 258 and will bolt up and fit just fine. I used XJ cherokee wiring for the engine compartment and half of the interior wiring so that I would have cruise, delay wipers, light dimming and wipers on the column. I know the 4.0 isn't as cool as a V8 but I wanted to be able to pass a gas station now and then (unlike my 360 v8 cj7 that I used to have). Now if I could just finish the body work.
Dave

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
83 means no visual IM. What that means to you is that you can do whatever you want as long as it can pass the sniff test (any V8 in good tune will be cleaner than your current engine, even with no polution control devices in place). My suggestion for a man on a budget is a Chevy 350 and a 350 or 700 trans (or a Chev SM465 if you want a stick) along with an adapter to your 300, or an AMC 401 or 360 mated to either a TF727 or a Jeep T18.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I know a guy selling a TBI 350 low miles that is mated to an NV4500 with extra low 1st gear. It's a 2wd setup, but I believe it can be mated to the D300. His price is real reasonable.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Scram7 said:
I would like to see what you have done dave. How is it on power?

It seems fine on power for what I have been able to do. It isn't quit ready for the road since it is in the middle of body work and has no paint. I have also been putting in gears and lockers so the axles have been missing for a few weeks. It also hasn't been registered yet. Let me know when you would like to come on by.
Dave

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
The least expensive swap I think you can do in to buy a chevy truck with engine/trans/transfer case and swap it in. You can do it all for about $2000 or so. There are a lot of little things to do but you wont be disappointed. I did this in my scrambler and really love it. The 4.0 swap cost about the same but you don't the power. I get about 14/mile gallon with a carb 35 inch tire and alll the stuff loaded. it really is not that bad. If you want to see whar I did you can come look too.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
DaveB said:
If you would like to come and see what I did with my cj8 I'd be glad to show you. I put in a 4.0 from a 99 TJ, AW4 auto from a 95 cherokee, and dana 44 axles from a couple of wagoneers. I kept the dana 300 since it only required a simple adapter/clocking ring to bolt up to the aw4. The 4.0 uses the same motor mounts and brackets as the 258 and will bolt up and fit just fine. I used XJ cherokee wiring for the engine compartment and half of the interior wiring so that I would have cruise, delay wipers, light dimming and wipers on the column. I know the 4.0 isn't as cool as a V8 but I wanted to be able to pass a gas station now and then (unlike my 360 v8 cj7 that I used to have). Now if I could just finish the body work.
Dave

hey would you have time to show mw some tricks with the wireing/gauges with the 4.0L swap on my "86 CJ7?

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Hey Tom,

My pig is 4500 pounds fully loaded, eventually you'll need a couple more cylinders. I think I know where there is a TBI 350 and 700r4 togather for cheap. My old neighbor is a trans rebuilder and can go through the 700 for ridicu-cheap. (Assuming it needs it). What sucks is you'll spend a lot more having new life breathed into your current mill than swapping something else into it. I may have mine mobile again this weekend! Yippee!

EZ

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
OCNORB said:
I know a guy selling a TBI 350 low miles that is mated to an NV4500 with extra low 1st gear. It's a 2wd setup, but I believe it can be mated to the D300. His price is real reasonable.

That'd be sweet. I'd love an NV4500 in the Sub/tow rig.

Now that I'm in on this post. I vote for the Chev powertrain. Get a TBI or Vortec setup from a pickup and swap it in.