Project Built for Towing

Does anyone want to see a project like this?

• Total voters

LT.

Here are some pictures of the new toy hauler. One thing that I may have overlooked was the weight when I have everything on it. The trailer empty without any additions was at 8,480 lbs. After I put my cab over camper on it and the Beater I should be around 16,000 lbs. Well within the trailers capacity but close to the max on Sally.

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 36

Bart

You're gonna love the new set up. I'm jealous. I pulled that much many times with my old Ford. It did great. I'm sure nifty difty sweet sweet Sally will have no problem whatsoever.

LT.

Thanks y'all. I have it hooked up to Sally now and I cannot get over just how big the new trailer is. I can walk under the goose neck and not even come close to hitting my head on it. The hitch clears my tail gate by about two feet. I will try and get some more pictures up so y'all can see what I am talking about.

LT.

LT.

Here are the pictures I promised. This is with the trailer hooked up to Sally. Overall length is just under 62 feet. I can walk under the goosneck hitch and not hit my head.

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 35

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
that is AWESOME Rob!

That clearance is amazing! Looks like you could lift Sally a bunch more and have no worries! Dont get any ideas tho.

Congrats! I think you are going to love that setup!

LT.

Thanks y'all. I am starting to think about making Sally's legs a little longer and going with an 8" long arm system and some 37's or 38's. I really like the way she is now though. The trailer is perfect. I bought this because I really liked the way Cheston had his set up before.

LT.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Rob.. you need to check out this month's Diesel Power Magazine. They have a triple turbo version of your truck!!! IT MADE ME DROOL!!!! Definitely the set up you need on Sally!!! You will not be a man unless you do that!!! hehehehe

LT.

Rob.. you need to check out this month's Diesel Power Magazine. They have a triple turbo version of your truck!!! IT MADE ME DROOL!!!! Definitely the set up you need on Sally!!! You will not be a man unless you do that!!! hehehehe

Yeah, that truck is also on the cover of Diesel World magazine. The kit is available to the public at at price tag of just $8995.00. Small price to pay for all that cool stuff under the hood I guess. I would be happy with the stock trubo over an Aurora 4000 or 5000. Right now I am working on stacking my programmer with a TS Performance MP-8 box. I already have an over fueling problem now and this would only add to it but, I think I can dial down the fuel volume and increase the pressure and have more power with less smoke. I will take out my big injectors and install the 40 hp injectors back in. I think that may help. We will see anyways.

LT.

Last edited:

LT.

Project BFT is moving slowly. Turns out that when you are trying to find the funds for two projects one usually get a little left behind. Who knew? Tonight that changed for Sally. I just ordered a new programmer for her. Remember I am not as good as I thought I was when it came to writing my own programs. So, this new programmer promises an honest 170 hp at the rear wheels on a stock truck. They also claim that with some modifications to the motor like I have that I can expect more that the advertised 170. One thing to remember here is that horsepower is an added benefit to what we are really after. Torque. Torque is what gets the load moving and horsepower is what we will call on to keep the load moving. Torque should be close to double the HP levels. Case in point, 100 extra HP is usually good for almost 200 lbs. of TQ. Not always but usually a good rule of thumb. Every motor is going to respond differently. Good to know. Now I am starting to research some gauges the will match the interior better than what I have.

LT.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Project BFT is moving slowly. Turns out that when you are trying to find the funds for two projects one usually get a little left behind. Who knew? Tonight that changed for Sally. I just ordered a new programmer for her. Remember I am not as good as I thought I was when it came to writing my own programs. So, this new programmer promises an honest 170 hp at the rear wheels on a stock truck. They also claim that with some modifications to the motor like I have that I can expect more that the advertised 170. One thing to remember here is that horsepower is an added benefit to what we are really after. Torque. Torque is what gets the load moving and horsepower is what we will call on to keep the load moving. Torque should be close to double the HP levels. Case in point, 100 extra HP is usually good for almost 200 lbs. of TQ. Not always but usually a good rule of thumb. Every motor is going to respond differently. Good to know. Now I am starting to research some gauges the will match the interior better than what I have.

LT.

Which programmer did you get? I've got an Edge EZ (?--came with the truck) on my early '04. Stock intake and stock exhaust.

I need to get a warm place to put my gauges in. I keep telling myself I'll do it outside, but haven't yet (brrrrr). It's been over a month now. I did get the 4 gauge pod installed (over the rearview mirror), but that's as far as it's gotten.

LT.

Which programmer did you get? I've got an Edge EZ (?--came with the truck) on my early '04. Stock intake and stock exhaust.

I need to get a warm place to put my gauges in. I keep telling myself I'll do it outside, but haven't yet (brrrrr). It's been over a month now. I did get the 4 gauge pod installed (over the rearview mirror), but that's as far as it's gotten.

I ended up getting the Smarty S-06 PoD. I just paid a smoking deal of $500.00 for it. Brand new, never installed and still in the shrink wrap. Too good of a deal to just let it go. Isn't it amazing that when there is a project that needs to be done the weather can either make it or break it? It has been getting down to about 10 degrees here. I can't imagine working outside during those kind of temps.

How do you like the gauges over the mirror?

OOH!!! I did! I did!!! That's why my Cummins K30 is still sitting on the side of the house, Cummins-free. :(....:D

This is one of those times when I just smack my forehead and say, "Damn." I should have known but, I really did want to get both done before EJS this year. The Beater is coming along well enough that I thought I could spend some money on Sally. Well, that should teach me to think, right?

LT.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
....How do you like the gauges over the mirror?

I think I'll like them quite a bit. I've never been overly fond of the pillar gauges and this is in a place I usually look anyway. I've got a boost, EGT, and trans temp gauge. I also have a fuel pressure gauge, but it's mechanical and would introduce deezel into the cabin if the hose splits or has an issue. Likely not a good gauge to install?

I had a BHAF on the F*rd. I think I'll do that again. I've got a 400 lb muffler on this truck. That needs to hit the garbage one of these days as well.

LT.

I think I'll like them quite a bit. I've never been overly fond of the pillar gauges and this is in a place I usually look anyway. I've got a boost, EGT, and trans temp gauge. I also have a fuel pressure gauge, but it's mechanical and would introduce deezel into the cabin if the hose splits or has an issue. Likely not a good gauge to install?

I had a BHAF on the F*rd. I think I'll do that again. I've got a 400 lb muffler on this truck. That needs to hit the garbage one of these days as well.

There is a way to get your fuel pressure gauge to work without introducing Diesel fuel into the cabin on your rig. Here is a site to help explain.
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...ressure-gauges-3-color-options-30-100psi.aspx

I think I am going to go with the A-pillar gauge set up. The only thing I don't really like about it is that the A-pillar is already a big piece on the truck. I really don't want to block any more visability but, it seems to be the most cost effective and easy to install way. I have looked at the pods that mount on the dash but, I have a custom dash cover on the dash already and I really don't want to have to re do it just to cover the dash pods.

You will have to let me know how you like them after you get them installed. I am curious if that is the way to go.

LT.