Project Built for Towing

Does anyone want to see a project like this?

• Total voters

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
There is a way to get your fuel pressure gauge to work without introducing Diesel fuel into the cabin on your rig. Here is a site to help explain.
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...ressure-gauges-3-color-options-30-100psi.aspx

I think I am going to go with the A-pillar gauge set up. The only thing I don't really like about it is that the A-pillar is already a big piece on the truck. I really don't want to block any more visability but, it seems to be the most cost effective and easy to install way. I have looked at the pods that mount on the dash but, I have a custom dash cover on the dash already and I really don't want to have to re do it just to cover the dash pods.

You will have to let me know how you like them after you get them installed. I am curious if that is the way to go.

LT.

I'll check that isolator out. Thanks for the link!

mbryson

Supporting Member
http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/CMS3-gauge/CMS-gen3gaugeinstall.htm

Good info from Dieselmanor.com re: installing gauges on thirdgen Dodges.

IMG_1177a-1.jpg

Here's a picture of the three hole overhead pod. I bought a four hole.

Last edited:

LT.

I have always toyed with the correct way of drilling the hole in the manifold. On the last truck I chickened out and drilled the hole in the cast piece just after the turbo. I knew it would not be as accurate but, I thought it was better to be safe than sorry. On every other manifold I ended up pulling the manifold and drilling the hole on the bench. That way I could ensure there was no way to get any debris in the turbo.

What they have said on that site does have some merit. I mean, they do this for a living they should know what it is that they are talking about. I like their idea but I think I will still pull the manifolds just to be sure.

LT.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I got the EGT gauge operational. Boost gauge needs a fitting (ordered from Diesel Manor since they were nice enough to have instructions I can follow) and the trans temp gauge is 75% done. It's COLD out there.

Edit: Note: I don't think I've ever done a full throttle take off before. I was trying to see how the EGT gauge would respond and matted the throttle from a corner. HOWLY black belching cloud of soot. I need to check into that Edge EZ gadget and see what the deal is on it? I don't know if it's adjustable settings or if it's just a programmer with a set program?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Mine's stock except for the Edge EZ. It will be getting a BHAF and likely an exhaust over the next 6 months or so?

Are you going to replace the full exhaust or just do some muffler swapping? Those 3rd Gen Dodges have 4" exhaust IIRC, which will flow well enough for a decently modified truck. Just have to ditch the 55 Gallon drum muffler. :D I really like the Magnaflow and the Aero Exhaust Diesel mufflers.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Are you going to replace the full exhaust or just do some muffler swapping? Those 3rd Gen Dodges have 4" exhaust IIRC, which will flow well enough for a decently modified truck. Just have to ditch the 55 Gallon drum muffler. :D I really like the Magnaflow and the Aero Exhaust Diesel mufflers.

That muffler is quite prodigious. I LOVE the Magnaflow on my Jeep, but might look into an Aero for it. It is a decent sized exhaust system. I was thinking it was about 3.25" but I really haven't measured it at all. I don't know what kind of advantage a bigger exhaust would have after spending a little time around the turbo/exhaust manifold today. It seems like the exhaust after the turbo (I believe that's called a "downpipe"?) is the same size as the output. It does look 4" there, but I really didn't look to hard. I will be putting in my sensor for my trans temp gauge tomorrow. I'll take a look at the exhaust while I'm down there.

LT.

You had said earlier that you had an early 04 model. You truck should have a 3.5" exhaust system from the turbo all the way to the tail pipe. A 4" would do some for the EGT's and may also help the black smoke. I don't think the larger exhaust will do much for your black smoke. An intake would help more though. Here is the info on your Edge EZ. http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=53&pvk=156

It says that it has a three different power levels on it. I hope this helps you.

LT.

mbryson

Supporting Member
You had said earlier that you had an early 04 model. You truck should have a 3.5" exhaust system from the turbo all the way to the tail pipe. A 4" would do some for the EGT's and may also help the black smoke. I don't think the larger exhaust will do much for your black smoke. An intake would help more though. Here is the info on your Edge EZ. http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=53&pvk=156

It says that it has a three different power levels on it. I hope this helps you.

LT.

I'd believe the 3.5". Looks pretty plausible to me. I've just been out checking out my programmer. It's an '04 build programmer and does NOT have the adjustability that the newer ones have. I wonder what the setting is for this chip. I might have to call Edge tomorrow (if I get a minute at work) and check this out a little more thoroughly.
The model # is 2003 EZD1000C. Serial # 40015884 ver 3.1

There's another number on the side 2307212. I don't know what that pertains to.

LT.

Mr Bryson, in regards to your exhaust, since you live in Utah I would suggest a stainless steel system instead of an aluminized steel one. The amount of salt used on the roads in Utah would chip the aluminized coating away in just one season. Leaving your newly aquired system to rust through the next season. When I started looking at exhaust for my rig I was curious as to which was really better. Everyone claimed to have the best but, I wanted to get through all the BS and find the best one. What I ended up doing was reading every vehicles spec sheet in Diesel Power magazine and 8 Lug Diesel to see which was the one most used. At that time MBRP was the most common system used. I don't know if they are the best but, they certinly were the one used more often than not. I have no complaints about my system and would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone who is willing to put up the money.

LT.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I'd believe the 3.5". Looks pretty plausible to me. I've just been out checking out my programmer. It's an '04 build programmer and does NOT have the adjustability that the newer ones have. I wonder what the setting is for this chip. I might have to call Edge tomorrow (if I get a minute at work) and check this out a little more thoroughly.
The model # is 2003 EZD1000C. Serial # 40015884 ver 3.1

There's another number on the side 2307212. I don't know what that pertains to.

Mine's old enough that I need to pull the end cap off the chip and I guess there's three position switch.

60 HP
63 HP
65 HP

Kind of funky HP change numbers. I might experiment a little with the settings.

LT---sorry to take over your thread. I can have a mod make a similar one for my truck if this detracts from your original intent.

LT.

No worries. This is what this thread is for. Projects or trucks that are built for towing. I may have started it but I should not be the only one writing in here. Your input along with all the others is what makes this work as well as it does. Besides, I have taken so much information from this site that it is only fitting that I do something in return.

LT.

LT.

A little update. Here are some pictures of the new programmer that I picked up. This little bundle of love is good for an extra 170 hp on a stock motor. With some simple upgrades folks have been reporting much more.

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 10

mbryson

Supporting Member
A little update. Here are some pictures of the new programmer that I picked up. This little bundle of love is good for an extra 170 hp on a stock motor. With some simple upgrades folks have been reporting much more.

LT.

COOL! I'm interested to see if that lives up to the hype. Seems like folks are very satisfied with those.

LT.

The Smarty is an awesome product. This is now the second one that I have owned on this truck. The Jr. is great but, anyone may quickly out grow it once you have been bitten by the Diesel bug. The Smarty Sr, has many, many, options on it. Check it out here. http://www.madselectronics.com/Smarty06PoD.html

Crazy amount of horse power and torque. Enough to break 50 inches of rubber on the rear of the truck loose.

LT.

LT.

Well, I have now had the Smarty Sr. set on kill for almost 10 days so I thought that it would be a good time for a report. First, I have noticed a slight drop in fuel mileage. I attribute this to the extra fun I have been having. The truck is getting high teens for mileage but remains about 1 MPG below what it used to get. Hand figured I am getting about 17 MPG whereas I used to get just a tick over 18 MPG before. The extra horsepower is just too much fun not to use and abuse.

As of now I am looking for the next upgrade and I think I have the gauges figured out. They will go on the A pillar and they will include a boost gauge that will read up to 60 pounds of boost. An EGT gauge that will read up to 1600 degrees F. And last but not least an electronic fuel pressure gauge that will read up to 100 pounds of pressure. The gauges and the pod will run around $600.00 and I can install them myself if needed. I will most likely end up having them installed instead.

Anyone who is curious about the Smary for their Cummins I would highly recommend one in either the Jr. or the Sr. Both are well worth the money and the Sr. has so many possibilities that you will never out grow it. If you were to choose the REVO updates this makes the downloader completley up to user as to where you want your power and how you want to make it. A perfect product for an already fantastic motor.

LT.

jeffsclan

http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/CMS3-gauge/CMS-gen3gaugeinstall.htm

Good info from Dieselmanor.com re: installing gauges on thirdgen Dodges.

IMG_1177a-1.jpg

Here's a picture of the three hole overhead pod. I bought a four hole.
Are they still around ? I've dealt with them in the past and was totally happy. Last year I was putting gauges in my brothers truck and I could not get a response despite leaving a ton of messages. So I assumed they were heading out because of the economy

mbryson

Supporting Member
Are they still around ? I've dealt with them in the past and was totally happy. Last year I was putting gauges in my brothers truck and I could not get a response despite leaving a ton of messages. So I assumed they were heading out because of the economy

I just got a boost bolt from them a couple weeks ago. I just ordered off the website.