Project Built for Towing

Does anyone want to see a project like this?

• Total voters

LT.

I think it is time for an update. My 2006 Dodge will be getting traded in this next week for the truck I have already brought home. I need to strip all of the aftermarket goodies or I need to sell the truck before next Monday. I was concerned with the weight of the new trailer, camper, and beater. Turns out that no matter what you do to a rig you can never increase the capacities of it. If you want more capacity you need to change trucks all together. So, this thread may still live on but, it will have to adapt to a new platform.

Now, for the new truck. I bought a 2010 Dodge, 4x4, mega cab, 3500, dually, with an auto, and manual over ride, exhaust brake, nav system, bucket seats, and is all stock for the moment. Of course it is packing the mighty Cummins just in a little different flavor. It has more towing and payload capacity than the 2006 Dodge does. The 06 could tow 15,000 and the 10 can tow 17,600. It may not seem like much of a jump but, this keeps me within the limits of the truck. Also, this gives me a chance to start from scratch as there were a few things that should have been done a little bit different on the last one. This time I will see if I can keep the truck to just towing duties.

LT.

LT.

I just took a trip to Santa Fe and back with the new truck. I reset the mileage at the house, drove through town, and hit the high way. I drove down the truck by pass, turned around and headed home. I think this is a good test since it is a round trip and the only town driving was here in my home town. About an 80 mile round trip with high way speeds between 55 and 65 mph. This is about as good as it would ever get in stock form. The truck managed 17.7 miles per gallon on this trip. Nothing has been done to the truck and it only now has 200 miles on her. Every modification I make from here on out will be followed by the same test loop and the mileage will be checked again to see if it was improved or not. The only thing that I noticed on the way back was here in town. The truck was hunting for a gear as I was going up a small hill. I was following a car and was not able to go the speed I wanted to go. As soon as I was able to get around the car the hunting stopped. I was just between gears and with a 6 speed auto tranny there are a few gears to choose from.

LT.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
whats the plans for the new truck ???? Those 6.7 liter cummins motors are a very powerful mill once you get rid the DPF and EGR stuff and the fuel mileage will greatly increase after you get rid of the DPF

LT.

The new truck is going to pick up the slack after the other one is gone. The bad news is that the DPF will have to stay for awhile. I am looking into some parts and pieces that will increase the MPG's and still keep it legal. It dawned on me that most folks have to keep their tow rigs legal. Inspections and the like are part of the game. I am going to try and showcase products that do exactly that.

LT.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have an '09 6.7 w/6spd auto. I'm guessing it was hunting gears around 40 mph? That's when mine does it, I just lock it down to 4th or 5th gear.

I've had my EGR unplugged since about 700 miles on the odometer. I have an Edge Insight to monitor tranny temps and clear codes. It also tells me when the truck is doing a regeneration. The EGR unplugged keeps my EGT's down about 150-180* lower than with it plugged in, and It definitely helps my fuel mileage when I'm empty.

LT.

Exactly 40 mph. Which seems to be the speed limits around here in town. A little frustrating to say the least. Also, the aftermarket seems to be a little slow for performance parts on this model. Cold air intakes are almost non existent. AFE is the only company that I have found and I think that there should be some better options coming up soon. Exhaust systems are slim and really don't do much because of the DPF. Removal means non street legal on public high ways. Where I live there are no checks on this but, still. Programmers are also tough to find if you want to keep the stock pieces in place. Fuel mileage is not what I think it should be. I have read many forums saying this but, always thought that I did not know how others drove their trucks and did know that I drive easy. Others had reported 15 mpg at best while driving conservatively. I though I could do better. WRONG! Today on a round trip to Albuquerque and back I managed 16.7. Bad news. Seems like if you want more you need to delete the EGR and the DPF. These are options that were not considered until today. My last rig with a six inch lift and 35" tires knocked down 18.5 regularly. There are some pictures coming up I just need the wife to take them off the camera for me.

LT.

LT.

Some pictures. The side view of the truck looks a little funny to me. Something about the cab length versus the bed length. The truck has eight speakers in it, back up camera, navigation, and all the bells and whistles.

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

LT.

First on the list of modifications for the new and improved BFT. Today I had the truck undercoated, interior scotch guarded, and the paint sealed. I figure that I am going to own this truck for awhile and it is best to start with some protection for her. She does not look any different so, no new pictures.

LT.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
The truck is absolutely beautiful!!! I really look forward to following the build-up of BFT, and the real question here is if you will let me take her for a spin next time we get together?!?! ;-)
Later brother!
- Matt

LT.

The truck is absolutely beautiful!!! I really look forward to following the build-up of BFT, and the real question here is if you will let me take her for a spin next time we get together?!?! ;-)
Later brother!
- Matt

Thanks Matt. This truck is really coming along very slowly. The old Ford, Betty, has taken a back seat lately. I just picked up a Jeep for the wife and it seems to have trumped all the other projects. It also looks like if you really want any mileage out of these trucks the EGR needs to be deleted along with the DPF and Cat. When all those deletes are done these trucks are capable of 20+ mpg's. If anyone is looking for a new truck be warned about the lower than expected mileage. Both Chevy and Ford are using a UREA injection in the exhaust. Funny thing about UREA, it is nothing more than purified urine that is injected into the exhaust system to reduce the toxic fumes coming out of the tail pipe.

This is the scene I expect to hear of when going to the parts house looking for exhaust fluid.

Customer: Do you have any exhaust fluid?
Autozone cashier: Sure do, it is between the muffler bearings and the blinker fluid.
Customer: Thanks for nothing.

LT.

LT.

Just a heads up. I am going to Iowa either tonight or tomorrow with the race trailer fully loaded, actually over loaded. The new truck will be pulling somewhere between 12,000 and 14,000 lbs on the way out and will be pulling an empty trailer on the way back. The trailer empty is around 4,000 lbs. I'll give an update when I get back and give a full report of fuel mileage on the way out and on the way back as well as speeds and distance traveled on the way back. This should give y'all a good idea of what this truck is capable of in bone stock form.

LT.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Mine started out averaging 14 mpg when brand new. 8,000 miles on the engine now and I calculated 18.13 mpg today on a tank with no towing. I think I could squeeze out 20 on a road trip if I kept it at about 70mph.

LT.

Thanks, I'm curious what the numbers will be. Do you have a standard transmission?

Mine started out averaging 14 mpg when brand new. 8,000 miles on the engine now and I calculated 18.13 mpg today on a tank with no towing. I think I could squeeze out 20 on a road trip if I kept it at about 70mph.

Thanks y'all. I did not think anyone was reading my thread anymore.;) On the way out it took 18 hours to go almost exactly 1000 miles. This ends up being about 55.55 miles per hour and was loaded at 12,000 lbs behind the truck. I averaged between 11.6 and 12 mpg on the way out there. It should be noted that I was traveling slower and had the wind either at my back or from the passanger rear corner the whole time out. On the way back I drove the same 1000 miles but, finished the trip in 14.5 hours for a average of 68.96 mph while fighting a head wind or cross winds the whole time. The trailer was empty but, still weighs about 4,000 lbs and is an enclosed type. A little aerodynamicly challenged to say the least. On the way back I only averaged 10 mpg but, was going faster and had unfavorable winds. The worst I got was 9.3 mpg and the best was around 12.2 or so.

The truck has the 6 speed auto, 3.73, 6.7 Cummins, and is all stock, for now.

LT.

sixb

Will work for beer!
I once headed to Boise in my old Dodge diesel with a loaded gooseneck deck over and got around 11 but on the way home with an empty trailer I got 9 but had one heck of a head wind. My new tow rig is lucky to get 9 with a tail wind:sick:but it sure is comfy, and I don't have to worry about my ars hurting at all, since I have to stop for fuel every 200 miles:rofl:

LT.

I once headed to Boise in my old Dodge diesel with a loaded gooseneck deck over and got around 11 but on the way home with an empty trailer I got 9 but had one heck of a head wind. My new tow rig is lucky to get 9 with a tail wind:sick:but it sure is comfy, and I don't have to worry about my ars hurting at all, since I have to stop for fuel every 200 miles:rofl:

This is the most comfortable truck I have ever owned and I guess that if I have to deal with crummy fuel mileage then so be it. The new Dodge is a truck that is comparable to the Ford and Chevy interior wise. Dodge has always been a generation behind all the others. Finally Dodge has a nice interior. This truck also can bring on the speed. The other trucks motor would run too fast for my liking after 65 mph. This rig will turn 80 mph at the same rpm's the last truck would run 65 at.

If anyone currently has a 2003 to 2009 Dodge and you think the interior is lacking and the seating is less than comfortable then you really need to sit behind the wheel of a 2010 Dodge.

LT.

jeffsclan

This is the most comfortable truck I have ever owned and I guess that if I have to deal with crummy fuel mileage then so be it. The new Dodge is a truck that is comparable to the Ford and Chevy interior wise. Dodge has always been a generation behind all the others. Finally Dodge has a nice interior. This truck also can bring on the speed. The other trucks motor would run too fast for my liking after 65 mph. This rig will turn 80 mph at the same rpm's the last truck would run 65 at.

If anyone currently has a 2003 to 2009 Dodge and you think the interior is lacking and the seating is less than comfortable then you really need to sit behind the wheel of a 2010 Dodge.

LT.
Yes, but that could be dangerous. I think mine spins too fast on the freeway. I've got the 6 speed manual. Oh yeah the seats really suck.