GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
You can pick up just about any front dana 60 for around 700 bucks. way cheaper if you go with a balljoint 60......Your looking around 300 bucks for a high pinion dana 44. definately worth the money to go with a 60 under a fullsize rig.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You could make your own "SAS kit"....it looks like they're just a front crossmember, and shackle hangers. You have the skillz....

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
When my brother did his he used the stock rear shackle mounts (the ones that are riveted to the frame that hold the shackle) and flipped them upside down for front hangers. Using an aftermarket shackle designed for a lowering kit (longer) he was able to get the length he needed for the front. Does that make sense? It worked out pretty slick and looked great.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There is a 14 Bolt locally that is already built with 4.88 gears, a Detroit, discs, etc. I'm waiting to hear back on that one, as it will essentially bolt in and be just what I'm looking for.

Stupiduty axles would work, D50 front, Sterling 10.5 rear, since you'll want to replace the 10bolt anyway.

I'd probably do it like I did my blazer: 10bolt front and sf14 rear. In your case, f*rd D44 front with chevy/jeep outers to keep the 6 lug pattern. Leave the front open and lock the rear (or find a gov-lock) and run 35's. With the lift from the SAS you'll have plenty of clearance, especially for the intended usage.

Love the tent, looks like a fun project!

Brett (subscribed, and ended up writing this post twice)

kawzx10

Not trying to hijack but I got a d50 for sale in the classifieds. I'll give ya a good deal on it. I'm liking the build I like seeing more full sizes. I'm trying to talk my wife into a sas on her 08 silverado.

Greg

Admin
I appreciate the offer, but I'm not interested in a Dana 50 or SuperDuty axles. I already have H2 wheels, so I need a standard 8 lug pattern.

Chevycrew

I had originally built my wifes truck that way, sf14, hp44 with 6 lug outers. Sf14 factory takeout e-lockers can be had off ebay.

neagtea

Supporting Member
I saw a few sets of used fenders on Race Dezert.
I think the 44 would be fine for a driver. If it has the SF 14 in the rear that will be fine. If it has a 10 bolt make scrap iron. Although I did run a suburban with a 10 for a few years.
It is not like you are doing a 4-1 case and heavy rock crawling. How about doing a long travel IFS? if any one makes one. I know they have some cool stuff for the dearborn crowd.

Greg

Admin
I had originally built my wifes truck that way, sf14, hp44 with 6 lug outers. Sf14 factory takeout e-lockers can be had off ebay.

I've decided on a '78-79 Ford Dana 60, just have to find the right one. Rear will be the standard full-float 14 Bolt with a Detroit. Gears will be 4.88's and I will be running 37" tires.

I've researched the Eaton e-lockers and they seem pretty questionable. I would love to have selectable lockers F & R, but it's just not in the budget. The front axle will stay opened for now, until I can spring for an ARB.

The reason I've decided on 37's verses 35's is due to the 142" wheelbase and large amount of rear overhang. I do want this truck capable of traversing some difficult terrain, but think 35's just aren't going to get the job done.

Maybe we should bet on which build thread will have more pages this one, or Steve's Tacoma.:D

No kidding, I just hope this isn't a long build!

I saw a few sets of used fenders on Race Dezert.
I think the 44 would be fine for a driver. If it has the SF 14 in the rear that will be fine. If it has a 10 bolt make scrap iron. Although I did run a suburban with a 10 for a few years.
It is not like you are doing a 4-1 case and heavy rock crawling. How about doing a long travel IFS? if any one makes one. I know they have some cool stuff for the dearborn crowd.

I looked into a long travel IFS and LOVE the idea, but it's way too much money. I think I could build a killer solid axle suspension with coilovers and links for 1/2 of what a long travel IFS would cost. I agree with you, this isn't a rock crawler... I don't need 1 Tons, but to keep it reliable in the backcountry I'm going to run a set of 1 ton axles.

The truck does have the POS 10 Bolt, so it will be replaced with a full float 14 Bolt.

The IFS is expensive to modify. Especially if you want to gain a lot. Solid is simple. Solid is cheap to maintain.

Yep. Simple & cheap.... 2 of my favorite words!! :greg:

The wacky difference in the cost of things was on display during my blazer build, when I spent almost as much on wiring and controls for the plow mount as I did on the blazer itself. Crazy how certain components can cost as much or more than a complete running system.