Project "Full Restoration" 1983 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel 4x4

spencevans

Overlander
About 5 months ago I received a call from a good friend. He asked me if I knew any one that would be interested in purchasing his nearly fully restored 1983 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel 4x4. He needs to make room for two other Mitsubishi Diesels he is planning to restore this winter. To his surprise I told him I was interested even though I have the highly modified 1985 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel. The truck is located in SoCal but over the past 4 years I have helped with some of the restoration and I have driven it on many occasions. It is one beautiful pickup

He said it was still in need of a few items to complete the restoration. It needed an engine, rear bumper, and a few other odds and ends like AC and wheels and tires. In July I ordered a brand new 2.5L Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel Crate Motor and had it imported. After several months of waiting the engine finally arrived yesterday and is ready to be installed.

This was a complete frame off restoration of a clean SoCal truck. Every nut and bolt was replaced with OEM hardware, the suspension was completely replaced with Sway-A-Way torsion bars and Alcan leaf springs. All the ball joints were replaced with Moog's. The interior was completely redone including a new dash carpet and door panels. All the glass was recently replaced. It was recently painted inside and out and received a fresh set of the original graphics on the sides and tailgate. A spray in bed liner was added so it will be a functional pickup. All the chrome and bumpers was sent off and returned to their original luster. All the rubber and seals and gaskets have been swapped out and all the plastics have been replaced. Ultimately so much has been done it is hard to list everything.

So what does this have to do with RME?

Well, the plan is to keep it stock use it as a daily driver for 9 months of the year, but I want it to be set up for mild overland use. To bad it does not qualify for the relic runs but I have another truck I am looking at for the relic runs. I plan to add a rack so I can mount my RTT over the bed. For the most part I am just planning to use it to get out and spend time with my kids.

Here are a few teaser pics for ya.

This is what she looked like after 30 years of exposure to the sun, prior to the restoration
pre restoration.jpeg

Here's a beautiful shot of her restored to her original glory. I love those bright graphic from the 80's.

post restoration.jpg

This is the new 2.5L Mitsubishi turbo diesel that came in yesterday. It makes about 100hp and 150ft lbs of torque. It will have no issue motivating this pickup. In 1983 these were the fastest production pickup sold in the US and that includes all the fullsize big block pickups.

4d56.jpg

Beautiful water cooled Garrett Turbo
Garrett Turbo.jpeg

dual V-belt.jpg

pELYgroso

'Merica
question: how much did that engine run? Why wouldn't that be a regular swap for toyota guys, etc. who want more power and mpg's? does it get decent mileage? Cool truck!

spencevans

Overlander
question: how much did that engine run? Why wouldn't that be a regular swap for toyota guys, etc. who want more power and mpg's? does it get decent mileage? Cool truck!

The 4D56 crate motor runs about $4200 shipped to your front door through www.maxoverdrive.ca

The engine comes with Bosche injection pump, Garrett Turbo, heavy duty alternator, clutch, fly wheel, and water pump. It does not come with a fan blade or starter. The engine is brand new from the factory and not a re-manufactured of rebuilt engine.

The 4D56 is a solid engine and all of the issues have were addressed and corrected back in the early 80's. Since then it has provided 30 years of reliable service around the world. While it is an IDI design, this version of the 4D56 makes good power at about 100hp and about 160 ft. lbs. of torque. Depending on vehicle weight, gearing and tire size one can expect to get anywhere from 25-35mpg with mixed driving.

I know there are quite a few guys in the process of using this engine to swap into other vehicles like Susuki's, Mazada's, Ford's, Mitsubishi's and Toyota's. It is becoming a very common swap because it it reliable and powerful yet efficient.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
all I saw on that link was relic-run stuff which is pre-1980. I would be all over a 1980's run though

The Retro Ramble is being discussed/planned on the forum, only 1980's vehicles allowed. Dates TBA but it will continue to be planned and announced on the forum.

Back to thread, great build Spence... excited to see this in person someday! :cool:

spencevans

Overlander
The Retro Ramble is being discussed/planned on the forum, only 1980's vehicles allowed. Dates TBA but it will continue to be planned and announced on the forum.

Back to thread, great build Spence... excited to see this in person someday! :cool:

I will have to a watch out for the Retro Ramble. I hope this vehicle is capable enough off-road to keep up with everyone. I already have the retro stove, tent and lantern.

I am also excited to see this thing done. It seems like I have been going a million miles per hour the past two months. I just finished the Mercedes build and I was flying completely solo on that one. I also just finished adding 1700 sq ft of concrete pad for a future shop. Getting that ground ready just about killed me. Just soooo many things to do before the snow flies. I need this little pickup asap so I can finish my next project of finishing my basement. I think I have too many honeydo's, but if it means gettin' a new truck I am all for it.

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
The engine has found a new home. While it has not been smooth sailing, the install has been straight forward. The oil pan needed to be swapped out for an original oil pan to clear the differential. The oil pan the engine came with was for a Montero configuration. The exhaust had to be adjusted and slightly shortened because this engine uses a Garrett turbocharger instead of the Mitsubishi TD04 turbocharger found on the original engine. Other than that it has gone smoothly.

Here are a few teaser pics.

BD3BBF48-8C2D-42DF-9F60-A8AFC6271197.jpg
BA6E8C6A-2630-47FF-B20A-E830D380EB34.jpg
BFB52479-BF5F-43AA-833C-5D17E5E9DE58.jpg

spencevans

Overlander
This is such a cool build. How many people have asked why the US market lacks diesel compact trucks.

That's why I had to snatch it up when he said he was looking to sell. I didn't even bother haggling the price. If you want a nice compact diesel here in the states getting a hold of a restored truck from the 80's is about your only option. There is definitely a need for a compact diesel in the american market. I know GM plans to put a 2.5 Duramax in the 2014 Colorado/Canyon but that's not a compact pick up in my opinion. The american compact pickup died when the Ford Ranger went the way the Dodo a few years ago.

It's sad because over a dozen different compact diesels were offered during the 1980's. Everyone from Chevy to Volkswagen offered a compact pickup with a diesel option. Even the Jeep Comanche was offered with a 2.1L Turbo Diesel from 1985-87.

Last edited:

zukgod1

Senior crawler
If you can I would make a plate for the egr but leave the valve in place. Sandwich the plate in there. That way if for some freak of nature reason in the future you needed it..
Your truck reminds me of a 84 Toyota TD I had once. Bought it off a RME member then proceed to throw money at it. Ended up selling it due to getting a job too far from home.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
The engine is installed and the truck is ready for pickup. I fly out to SoCal on Friday to scoop it up. Now I just need to decide if how to register it. I am thinking of registering it as a Vintage Vehicle. Does anyone have any insight on registering a vehicle as a Vintage Vehilce?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What are your hesitations with registering it as a Vintage? I've got a few registered that way and don't have any complaints at all in fact I'm absolutely thrilled.