Project "Full Restoration" 1983 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel 4x4

spencevans

Overlander
What are your hesitations with registering it as a Vintage? I've got a few registered that way and don't have any complaints at all in fact I'm absolutely thrilled.

I have never registered a vehicle as a Vintage before. I really don't know what to expect. I plan to just use it for some Rambles, expeditions, car shows, going to and from the store and stuff like that. It will be a fair weather vehicle because I do not want it to drive it in the salt during the winter. From my understanding it would be exempt from emissions and safety inspections which is a huge advantage seeing how it is a diesel and I live in Davis County. I also hear it is cheaper to register a Vintage vehicle which is a major plus. I just wanted to make sure I was not getting into something that would limit me. For instance, I don't want to be limited to only being able to drive it 5000 miles per year or something like that.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have never registered a vehicle as a Vintage before. I really don't know what to expect. I plan to just use it for some Rambles, expeditions, car shows, going to and from the store and stuff like that.

And that is exactly the type of used they are intended :cool:

It will be a fair weather vehicle because I do not want it to drive it in the salt during the winter. From my understanding it would be exempt from emissions and safety inspections which is a huge advantage seeing how it is a diesel and I live in Davis County. I also hear it is cheaper to register a Vintage vehicle which is a major plus. I just wanted to make sure I was not getting into something that would limit me. For instance, I don't want to be limited to only being able to drive it 5000 miles per year or something like that.

(3) (a) "Vintage vehicle" means a motor vehicle that:
(i) is 30 years old or older from the current year;
(ii) displays a unique vehicle type special group license plate issued in accordance with Section 41-1a-418; and
(iii) is primarily a collector's item that is used for:
(A) participation in club activities;
(B) exhibitions;
(C) tours;
(D) parades;
(E) occasional transportation; and
(F) other similar uses.
(b) "Vintage vehicle" does not include a motor vehicle that is used for general, daily transportation.
(c) "Vintage vehicle" includes a:
(i) street rod; and
(ii) vintage travel trailer.

It is much more affordable to register both initially and annually which is only fair as they see far less time on the pavement.

spencevans

Overlander
That's good to hear. I really wasn't even thinking about it but a buddy of mine said he bought a 1974 Highboy this week. He had to register it as a Vintage Vehicle because he could not get it to pass emissions due to the 460 engine. He recommended I try to register my 1983 Mitsubishi as a Vintage. This is Larry's Highboy he hopes to bring on an upcoming Relic Run.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Right on, that would be right at home on the Relic Run. There is no try on the vintage, if it meets the requirements above you simply walk into the DMV and register it as such. If it has never been in Utah before it will require a VIN inspection, you can print off the form from the DMV and have an officer come over and sign off. Alternatively a Utah state safety inspection counts as a VIN inspection.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So if a vintage vehicle is not safety inspected, does that mean it does not need mud flaps and the tires can hang out a few inches?

Not really, it is still required to adhere to all state safety laws so you can get pulled over and you can get a ticket. You simply just don't have to bolt the mud flaps on for the inspection ;)

zukgod1

Senior crawler
You will still need a Safety Inspection to get it licensed even your going the vintage route and as you will need a VIN inspection as well your golden. Bring it by the shop and I'll gladly get you the Safety.

sent via morse code

spencevans

Overlander
You will still need a Safety Inspection to get it licensed even your going the vintage route and as you will need a VIN inspection as well your golden. Bring it by the shop and I'll gladly get you the Safety.

sent via morse code

I think it is exempt from safety and emissions inspections if it is registered as Vintage. At least I hope it is.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

sent via morse code

I've not needed safety inspection certificate on the few I've done, VIN inspection only. A safety inspection is a defacto VIN inspection as I recall no?

spencevans

Overlander
I guess I will see. It should have no issues passing safety or emissions. It is just the pain of having to do diesel emissions testing in Davis County.

Here are a few pics taken today and 30 years ago. The ones without the topper are today. The pic taken with the white topper is a pic of my friend in front of his fathers 1983 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel 30 years ago. They had to re-enact a few shots with his son. These are not the same truck but they are the same model, color, year etc. He is including a set of the original 15" rims with the truck but I plan to ride on the 16" rims and tires for a while. Big thanks to Mike Warme for completing this project.

1983 Mitsubishi Pickup 3.jpg1983 Mitsubishi Pickup 2.jpg1983 Mitsubishi Pickup 5.jpg

Attachments

• 1983 Mitsubishi Pickup .jpg
    1983 Mitsubishi Pickup .jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 17

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I've not needed safety inspection certificate on the few I've done, VIN inspection only. A safety inspection is a defacto VIN inspection as I recall no?

Yes it is. And honestly wouldn't you want to know that's it's all cool?
Heck most of us know our rigs inside/out but what if we missed something?

Honestly I just want to see this thing person.
That's why I offered :)

sent via morse code

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
I spent the day here in SoCal looking through a warehouse for truck parts and fixing little things on the truck. We found most things we were looking for except for the front mud flaps. I am sure they will turn up. I have all the parts for the AC but I still need to connect it up and have it charged. Overall I am extremely pleased with how nice the truck came out. It is nicer than when it came of the show room floor. It is super clean, has plenty of power and sounds great. The ride is a little rough but it has a brand new set of Sway-A-Away torsion bars and Deaver leaf springs. Once they break in a little that should help the ride quality.

I should be on the road first thing in morning and if all goes well she will be tucked away in my garage by tomorrow evening.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes it is. And honestly wouldn't you want to know that's it's all cool?
Heck most of us know our rigs inside/out but what if we missed something?...

As to whether or not I think it is 'cool', I can assure you I trust my definition of safe to drive more than I trust the median safety inspector. Obviously there are some fantastic and very experienced inspectors out there, there are also some kids that can't tell the difference between an O2 sensor and a spark plug :D If the State of Utah doesn't want me to pay them to tell me the brakes have 11/32" of lining, I'm quite alright with that. I think people need to be realistic, if they are not capable of determining if the vehicle is road worthy, they can/should get a safety inspection but for a 30+ year old vintage vehicle or better yet pay a certified and competent mechanic to do a thorough inspection.

You will still need a Safety Inspection to get it licensed even your going the vintage route and as you will need a VIN inspection as well your golden. Bring it by the shop and I'll gladly get you the Safety. ...

From the mouth of the the person giving you the plate ;)

Vintage Vehicle
Unique Vehicle Special Group

About This Plate

This plate identifies a vehicle at least 30 years old, is primarily a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation. This plate may be personalized with up to 5 alphanumeric characters by submitting Form TC-817 with the required personalization fee. A vintage vehicle, as defined in Utah Code 41-21-1, qualifies for an exemption from safety and emission inspections.

Source: http://dmv.utah.gov/special-group-license-plates#vintagevehicle

Again, let me clarify. This does not exempt anyone from adhering to safety and emissions laws (actual laws) but it doesn't require them to have an inspection.

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
After a short flight to SoCal and a long drive back to Utah, the truck is finally home. I the drive home from Burbank, CA I was impressed with how well the truck handled. The suspension is brand new and still on the stiff side but I can already feel it starting to break in. For the first few hundred miles it was back breaking. Thank goodness it is breaking in. Most impressively the truck was able to do 80mph on the freeway all the way home. It had no issues pulling all those steep mountain passes. I did not even have to floor it. It just purred like a kitten. It is amazing how this 31 year old truck can drive so well. Not only does it keep up with traffic but it has plenty of passing power even at freeway speeds.

I still have to do a few things like undercoat the bottom of the vehicle and add AC. For the most part the truck is ready for Retro Ramble and most importantly, my 7 year old boy loves it.

Here a few pics and a youtube video. The Original Owner asked me to do a Youtube Video for him because he is media challenged.

12739099673_89bddb9741_b.jpg

12739376564_b00398bca3_b.jpg
12739064413_f59fbd7c26_b.jpg

Youtube Video.
[video=youtube;zKuxmuhjBo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKuxmuhjBo8[/video]

Attachments

• 12739064413_f59fbd7c26_b.jpg
    12739064413_f59fbd7c26_b.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 4

STAG

On my grind
Something about your fan just looks off to me. I think it's on backwards? The curves are going the wrong way to me. As far as I can tell from the video, the fan spins clockwise when looking at it from the front, and yes, as the fan would still be pulling air away from the radiator as it is, the curvature of each blade themselves seem that they should be concave towards the motor, not convex, as they are now.

That at would be achieved by flipping the fan around 180°. However, that's just how my head-logic wraps around it, I may very well be wrong and it is likely put on properly.

Also, I'm surprised to not see a fan shroud.

If I am surely mistaken here, just call me stupid and ignore this post :D