Project: Pretty Hate Machine (4 seater buggy build)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Back to the chassis. There were a couple spots that I felt like needed better triangulation and/or connections. The A and B pillar zones were the major ones. I added this extra spreader in behind the 'door' of the B pillar, now you can imagine any energy being transfered down that bar instead of into that open space.

O42k.jpg

And a similar situation up front below the A pillar.

OKR9.jpg

Much better!

OpLU.jpg

This pretty much catches everything up except I was able to do some work on the front axle brackets for the last couple days. :cool:

DAA

I like how you change up your footwear to keep the internet guessing on your political persuasion.

The buggy is pretty rad too.

Long time ago, back when I was doing all the hiring and firing in SLC for my company, I used to pray for a front end guy (web) that wouldn't show up for the interview driving a Subaru and wearing sandals. Something about those creative types...

- DAA

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Long time ago, back when I was doing all the hiring and firing in SLC for my company, I used to pray for a front end guy (web) that wouldn't show up for the interview driving a Subaru and wearing sandals. Something about those creative types...

- DAA
Hey, I'm a front end developer! Must explain my sandals... :oops: Still hiring? :D

• Haha
Reactions: DAA

DAA

Hey, I'm a front end developer! Must explain my sandals... :oops: Still hiring? :D

I KNEW IT!!! :rofl:

But... Ehhh... The company is hiring. I'm not at all involved in it though. Except, they are offering huge referral bonuses. But, I wouldn't refer anyone I liked.

Acquired by a big corp a couple of years ago. And they are in the process of shutting down and freezing out small offices - like mine. And they have a strict policy that doesn't allow remote work. So, I have 30 years with the company, longest tenured employee - in the whole effing 5,000 employee parent corp, and they are going to put my feet out on the road at the end of the year, just because my cell on the spreadsheet doesn't align with policy. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I'm sticking around until they push me out because they are dangling six months severance. But I'll be looking for a job myself in another six months or so...

- DAA

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I KNEW IT!!! :rofl:

But... Ehhh... The company is hiring. I'm not at all involved in it though. Except, they are offering huge referral bonuses. But, I wouldn't refer anyone I liked.

Acquired by a big corp a couple of years ago. And they are in the process of shutting down and freezing out small offices - like mine. And they have a strict policy that doesn't allow remote work. So, I have 30 years with the company, longest tenured employee - in the whole effing 5,000 employee parent corp, and they are going to put my feet out on the road at the end of the year, just because my cell on the spreadsheet doesn't align with policy. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I'm sticking around until they push me out because they are dangling six months severance. But I'll be looking for a job myself in another six months or so...

- DAA
I hear ya. I’ve been with my current place for 10 years now and they were just purchased by a larger corp out of Texas. It’s been good but I much prefer the smaller business atmosphere. Still, pretty happy though as they were pretty good at embracing some remote work even before last year.

Reactions: DAA

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Back to the rust bucket! Took a long break and collected parts which I'll hopefully be putting together soon.

Rear shocks positioned

bfu6.jpg

Having fun with the lower mounts. I'll get the other half made tomorrow.
bPT3.jpg

baN9.jpg

Also still waiting on an Atlas that I ordered from Sexton Offroad a few months ago. Come on AA, ship it! :D

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Are you going to add another tab on the side of the coilover? The single shear doesn't have the feng shui I desire.
Fixt it for you :D
bHCn.jpg

Front axle parts getting the paint...
bIuq.jpg

I need to replace the king pins and lower C bearings on the front D60. Any tips other than heat and a huge breaker?
What about the lower bearings? I've never changed those out, looks like they just press out but there's not much room for a press. Might have to make something.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I didn't want to buy the Stoopid expensive giant Allen wrench to loosen the old kingpins on mine, so I welded a 5' long piece of pipe to the upper kingpin. That seemed to work. :p
Once the upper is out you can use a ball joint press on the lower bearing with some creativity.

Also are the rear shocks touching the rear subframe? Or am I missing something?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't remember having any issues changing the lower bearing. The kingpins on the other hand, are usually REALLY happy to remain in place. :) Good luck

Asbjorn

Fixt it for you :D
bHCn.jpg

Front axle parts getting the paint...
bIuq.jpg

I need to replace the king pins and lower C bearings on the front D60. Any tips other than heat and a huge breaker?
What about the lower bearings? I've never changed those out, looks like they just press out but there's not much room for a press. Might have to make something.
For the lower bearing cups, weld a couple of beads on the inside of the races, then knock them out from the top using a hammer/punch.

Just saw a sweet trick for the upper kingpins - take a scrap piece of 1/4” (2-ish inches wide by 6-ish inches long) and drill a hole about the size of the base of the kingpin. Drop it on top of the kingpin and weld the plate to the kingpin. Let it sit for a few minutes, then take a BFH and hammer the plate to spin it loose. There’s a YouTube video of a guy doing it, I’ll see if I can find it.

RockChucker

I needed a large allen socket for some project. Can't remember what it was for. Might have been this. I'd have to look at the size of the allen socket in my tool box. I thought I got it at lowes, but maybe it was amazon. Found this 7/8" allen socket for $10. Not sure if an impact with heat would work or even if this socket would survive. If mine is a 7/8, you're welcome to borrow it. I'll look tonight when I get home from work.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I needed a 6 foot bar and a big torch to do my kingpins, horrible job. I used a big one ton ford lugnut for the allen key, then just the 13/16 or whatever socket

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
For the lower bearing cups, weld a couple of beads on the inside of the races, then knock them out from the top using a hammer/punch.

Just saw a sweet trick for the upper kingpins - take a scrap piece of 1/4” (2-ish inches wide by 6-ish inches long) and drill a hole about the size of the base of the kingpin. Drop it on top of the kingpin and weld the plate to the kingpin. Let it sit for a few minutes, then take a BFH and hammer the plate to spin it loose. There’s a YouTube video of a guy doing it, I’ll see if I can find it.

I'm gonna try this method first.

Thanks everybody!