Project run around.

LT.

I have been thinking about what I wanted to do next for another project. I was thinking I wanted to build a street truck but, that really is not my style. Besides, finding what I wanted and what I was willing to pay were two different things.

On Saturday after noon I went up Forrest Road 100 scouting for elk. About 5 miles in on a gravel road the dash light on my little Ram 1500 Hemi went off. Signalling I had a tire that was loosing pressure. I pulled over and found I had an impact break on the drivers rear on the tread surface of the original equipment tires. I was not too upset as they had been on the truck for 4 1/2 years already and had over 36,000 miles on them. I started to come back down the road so I was not changing the tire on an uphill gravel road. While on my way to the black top the light came on again and chimed again. Thought it was just telling me the tire was going flat fast. Once on the black top I checked the pressure and decided to push through to the next town. After a long while I was able to come home, change the tire with the spare and checked all the pressures on all the tires. I found the spare was a little low so I went to the gas station to fill it. While there I checked the other tires and found the passengers rear tire was also low. When I started to fill it I found I had another impact break on it as well.

This is what forced my hand when it came to my next project. I go hunting in Wyoming for antelope, Nebraska and Iowa for deer, and maybe even Idaho for elk. I was needing a truck that was still daily drivable, highway friendly, and would not have problems when I go up a gravel road. Welcome to project run a round.

I have to attend schools for shooting and tactics and they are almost always a drive and off road somewhere. I wanted to keep all the trucks stock abilities like comfort, fuel mileage, and highway abilities in tact. But, I also wanted something that looked better, worked better off road, and would still take me to work every day.

This project started when I was just trying to buy tires. I wanted a tire that was a little taller but, I really wanted some extra width. After looking at what was available and thinking about it over night I went back to the shop to order the new tires. The supplier could not get them. Figures, after I had set up all night making sure that is what I wanted. Next trip to the shop I looked at what was available to me for the truck. Nothing really blew up my skirt so back home I came to do more research. What I ended up deciding on, after two more days of thinking, was some Toyo Open Country MT's. The stock size for the truck was a 275-60-20 and the Toyo's I ordered are 275-65-20. Only 1.2" taller and the same width with more aggressive tread. I hope that by keeping the width the same my fuel mileage won't suffer quite as bad. Also, changing the width of the tires meant I would either need new wheels, or a spacer to clear the upper A arm on the front suspension.

I call it project run a round for a couple of reasons. First, the truck still needs to run me around everywhere and second, it took me four full days to find the right tires for the truck. If this project is anything like every other project I do then I suspect that nothing is going to be easy for this one either. I have a few plans for the truck in an effort to improve fuel mileage and it's off road capabilities as well. Time will tell.

LT.

LT.

Thought I should add some stock specifications. Height under the front bumper is 13 1/4" rear bumper is 23 3/8" and on the test loop for fuel mileage I got 18.1 mpg. This will be for comparison as the parts make their way onto the truck.

LT.

driver920

good luck LT i kinda have the same thing in mind have the yoda for extreem stuff but would like to build a nice little daily driver i can more of the milder stuff with and not have to trailer it everywhere will be watching the progress

LT.

Thanks diver920. I am sure this project is going to take quite a bit of time. Christine is first on the list and it should be done the weekend after labor day. This one is in the bull pen til then but, I did want to have a good starting spot.

LT.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
If I were looking for a truck for DD duty that sees dirt roads and mild trails I would go for a Tacoma double cab, or a Tundra if towing is on that list.

LT.

Towing is not on the list but, not out of the realm of possibilities. I am a Dodge fan and the Hemi does really well. I have owned the truck since it was brand new. 4 1/2 years later and it only has 36,000 miles on her. I have done literally nothing to the truck. Fluid changes and that was it. It has not even been in the shop for an alignment yet. Still on the factory tires, alignment, belts, everything. I could not ask for more out of any vehicle.

LT.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Towing is not on the list but, not out of the realm of possibilities. I am a Dodge fan and the Hemi does really well. I have owned the truck since it was brand new. 4 1/2 years later and it only has 36,000 miles on her. I have done literally nothing to the truck. Fluid changes and that was it. It has not even been in the shop for an alignment yet. Still on the factory tires, alignment, belts, everything. I could not ask for more out of any vehicle.

LT.

Well I guess I'm missing the point or question being asked, and I don't see a project, was this meant as a rant?

Cascadia

Undecided
Just because it's not a full blown build doesn't mean it's not a project. I consider my tundra a project and I'll I've done is put tires on it. It took a lot of research to figure out what tire I wanted and what would fit without a big or any lift. But then also looking good if it was even leveled. Next are some gas mileage goodies but I don't know what yet. I'm researching, just like anyone would do on a project.

Last edited:

LT.

Well I guess I'm missing the point or question being asked, and I don't see a project, was this meant as a rant?

Just because it's not a full blown build doesn't mean it's not a project. I consider my tundra a project and I'll I've done is put tires on it. It took a lot of research to figure out what tire I wanted and what would fit without a big or any lift. But then also looking good if it was even leveled. Next are some gas mileage goodies but I don't know what yet. I'm researching, just like anyone would do on a project.

This is a lot like Cascadia is thinking. The truck is not going to be much more than a light trail rig, not really just an off road rig. This truck is meant to get me down the highway, continue down the forest roads and through a little mud, snow, ice, desert just about everything you would encounter in day to day life. I have two extreme off road rigs, and a tow rig, I was just wanting something that could be driven more than just to work and back.

The truck already does very well on the highway. I was just wanting to increase its abilities to go where the black top ends. Tires were the first thing that had to be addressed. As I had two go out on me while just driving down a gravel road. A little suspension work is next and later maybe a limit slip for the rear end.

LT.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
It's nice to see just some minor mods just to make a regular DD rig better all around. Not everything is about rock crawling and as much off road performance as possible.

LT.

It's nice to see just some minor mods just to make a regular DD rig better all around. Not everything is about rock crawling and as much off road performance as possible.

Thank you. I have been a huge fan of the builds that SixStringSteve has been doing. This last build he did, with Abner, was more along the lines of what I wanted to copy with this one. Keep the stock strengths and improve upon the weaknesses. I still don't think that this truck will be anywhere near as capable as SixStrings but, I am so impressed with what he did.

LT.

Caleb

Just because black_ZJ misses the point (not the first time and no real surprise) doesn't mean there isn't interest. I bet this project relates to more guys on this forum than a full on buggy build would. Guys might like seeing the buggy builds, but everyone on here has a 4wd that they would like to improve on...even if it's just primarily a DD. Keep the thread going :)

sixstringsteve

Just because black_ZJ misses the point (not the first time and no real surprise) doesn't mean there isn't interest. I bet this project relates to more guys on this forum than a full on buggy build would. Guys might like seeing the buggy builds, but everyone on here has a 4wd that they would like to improve on...even if it's just primarily a DD. Keep the thread going :)

x2. Well said Caleb.

sixstringsteve

Thank you. I have been a huge fan of the builds that SixStringSteve has been doing. This last build he did, with Abner, was more along the lines of what I wanted to copy with this one. Keep the stock strengths and improve upon the weaknesses. I still don't think that this truck will be anywhere near as capable as SixStrings but, I am so impressed with what he did.

Thank you for the kind words. You won't be so impressed when you see it in person. :)

LT.

Thank you for the kind words. You won't be so impressed when you see it in person. :)

It was the idea that impressed me so much. The thought of getting where you needed to go, without a tow rig, and trailer. Making a good truck better suited for what we all like to do. Explore past where the black top ends.

Caleb and SixStringSteve, thank you for all your kind words and enthusiasm. I appreciate it very much.

LT.

LT.

If y'all have followed my other threads then you may realize that I try to buy everything I can that is made here in the USA. Some of y'all may think I was off my rocker by deciding to purchase Toyo Open Country MT's knowing that the company is not based here. Well, Toyo does have a plant in Southern California. Here are some pictures of the tires that were just dropped off. This is another piece of the puzzle for this build.

LT.2012-06-12_14-19-14_921.jpg2012-06-12_14-19-52_694.jpg2012-06-12_14-20-01_151.jpg