Project run around.

Bart

I really liked the bed cover on my Dodge, but I"m not sure it made any difference in mileage. The only thing I didn't like about it was losing the ability to haul tall items, even a set of large tires.

LT.

I really liked the bed cover on my Dodge, but I"m not sure it made any difference in mileage. The only thing I didn't like about it was losing the ability to haul tall items, even a set of large tires.

I hear ya there. This truck still does not have many scratches in the bed because I don't haul anything in it. So far, I am a little undecided on the cover. I think it will be a great addition for the longer trips and it would keep animals out of sight while taking them to the butcher. This is important so that those folks who are anti-hunting don't have to see the kills.

LT.

LT.

Yesterday Project Runaround went on a 150 mile trip. 50 of those miles were off road with a mix of gravel roads, and some minimally maintained roads. I took forest road 100 to forest road 99 to forest road 144. 144 is minimally maintained where as 100 and 99 are gravel roads. The trip took me from my home to Abiqui Lake to where I picked up forest road 100. 144 ends up dumping out on State Road 4 near Fenton Lake in the Jemez Mountains. It was such a great ride that I am going to take my wife on it today and maybe I will find the time to take a few pictures along the way. Kind of like a mini trip report.

LT.

LT.

Here are some pictures form yesterdays run through the mountains. Enjoy.

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 14

LT.

More.

LT.IMG_1289.JPGIMG_1290.JPGIMG_1291.JPGIMG_1293.JPGIMG_1295.JPG
These two pictures are of some wild turkeys. They may be hard to see but, they are there.
IMG_1296.JPGIMG_1297.JPG

In these two pictures is a big bull elk. He sure was talkative.

IMG_1298.JPGIMG_1300.JPGIMG_1292.JPG

LT.

Project run around got a good workout in today. I just finished 630+ mile trip and with three fuel stops it took me 9 hours 50 minutes to the Pruiett's door step.
I am tired now so, I am gonna catch a few winks.

LT.

LT.

Project run around finished the trip with a little more than 1,400 miles total. I was able to knock down 17.4 mpg on the way up but, on the way home I only got 16.5 mpg. On the way up it was night time and the roads were dry. On the way home the roads were wet from Clinton, Utah all the way to Wellington, Utah. And the roads were off and on snow covered from Clinton to some time before Price. They were snow covered through Salt Lake and again over the canyon pass. I am happy to report that the Toyo Open Country MT's did very well the whole trip. I have been so impressed that I actually thought about putting them on Project BFT as well. The bed cover kept everything nice and dry and the only thing that really sucks about it is when you need to get into the bed after a wet and heavy snow fall.

Thus far about my only complaint about the truck is that with the larger tires it sucked some fuel mileage (I knew that they would) and with the larger tires it makes it look like a two wheel drive. The tires really filled the wheel wells maybe even too much. The truck could really use a two inch lift front and rear to gain some space between the tires and fenders again. I still want to install a cold air intake and a cat back exhaust in an effort to gain some mileage back. Another thing I would still like to install is a rear receiver hitch. Just so I can tow some light trailers around instead of driving the dually for every trailer. I may even look more seriously into a programmer for the engine as well.

While the truck is not done (is any project) it is doing a great job. I would like to see the mileage in the higher teens but, you really cannot complain with Hemi power, 390 hp, crew cab, slightly larger mud tires and other than that completely stock.

LT.

Bart

You bring up some interesting points on the tires and mileage. My 03 GMC is so low it looks like a 2wd but I'm so reluctant to lift it or add larger tires knowing that it will reduce my mileage. At this point in time mileage is winning out over looks. 20+ mpg on the freeway is hard to lose.

LT.

You bring up some interesting points on the tires and mileage. My 03 GMC is so low it looks like a 2wd but I'm so reluctant to lift it or add larger tires knowing that it will reduce my mileage. At this point in time mileage is winning out over looks. 20+ mpg on the freeway is hard to lose.

Yeah, the tires cost me in mileage, bit gained me some in other areas. I would have been in some trouble if i had not been on them. The rear of the truck is light and the factory tire offerings were very limited. You have to give up something to gain something. In this case i am happy with the trade off.

LT.

LT.

I just ordered a cold air intake with a ram air scoop for Project Run a Round. They should be here this coming week and I will be able to test the improvements out in a week or two. I will be headed back up to Utah again in two weeks and I will be able to give a good assessment at that time.

LT.

LT.

Betty now has her cold air intake installed. I ran the test loop again after the install and picked up an honest 0.3 mpg. This weekend i hope to have the ram air scoop installed. Then a quick test loop again to see if there is any improvement.

LT.

LT.

Betty now has the ram air scoop installed as well. The scoop was good for a 0.1 mpg maybe 0.2. This would bring the cold air intake to about a 0.4 maybe even a 0.5 mpg increase. Not bad for a few hundred dollars in parts.

LT.

LT.

Project run around or, Betty as I call her, has been doing well. The tires now have about 12,000 miles on them and they have done really well. The front tires show little tire wear but, that is due to not ever having the truck aligned. When I put the tires on I was on the fence about a leveling kit. A year later and I still don't know if I want one or not. I need to figure it out so I can get the truck aligned and the tires rotated. Never aligned it because I didn't want to align it and then level it just to have to realign it again.

LT.

LT.

Well, I thought another update was in order. The truck has been doing well and it still has not been in the shop for any kind of repair at all. The Toyo's now have 20,000 miles on them and they are about half gone or maybe a little less. I suspect at their current rate of wear they should last 45,000 to 50,000 miles. Still have never aligned the truck and I still have not even rotated the tires. I know, shame on me. I did buy a leveling kit but, I am on the fence as to which way to go with this truck. Basically, I am just using it and waiting for the inspiration to strike. If I found another truck that was set up and it really struck me I would try to copy that build. But, no such luck for me as of yet.

LT.

LT.

That was a nice truck. What direction are you moving now? Did the Ramcharger sell yet?

Nope. The beater still occupies a spot in front of the house. I traded Betty and our Ford Escape in on a new 2014 GMC Yukon XL for my growing family. We didnt fit too well in anything but, Rosie the dually.

I had bought an old GMC pickup truck about a year or so ago.

LT.

Last edited: