Toyota Project runner up

krany

kranberry
Yea, I am in no hurry to change the engine and trans, the one I have is perfectly fine.

Here are some pics of the conversion
6eb1b9b6.jpg

60c02f5e.jpg

e1262687.jpg

krany

kranberry
Hooked up my front rock lights.
With low beams on( oh and the trucks been on playing music for 4 hours with radio on and about a half hour on and off with lights, low beams and rock lights)
They are super bright specially the drivers side one which is what matters right?
4495b6b1.jpg

308f5d10.jpg

01XJ

I have a bit of a delima. Should I have keep the 5:29 in the front and match the rear or match it up with 4:10's front and rear.
Rig is looking sweet and your Rock Lights look nice and bright what kind are they? And if it was me i would have stuck with the 529's but thats just me;)

sixstringsteve

I have a bit of a delima. Should I have keep the 5:29 in the front and match the rear or match it up with 4:10's front and rear.

4.10s is going to suck with 35s. Yes, you can do it like colton, but it's brutal to bog the engine down so much. Once you're moving it's not too bad, but starting from a standstill is brutal.

I'd go with 4.88s or 5.29s with 35s. Since you've already got 5.29s in the front, I say put 5.29s in the rear. Just my 2 cents.

Taco4life

In my eyes it's a no brainer, 5.29's all the way. Sweet find, that will be a fun truck/4runner.... whatever you want to call it.

Coco

I havent had any issues with mine, and for offroad, surprisingly, it is pretty dang low with just the single case w/ 4.7s.

I dont know how well you will be able to move down the freeway with the lower gears, but I hear a lot of ppl saying it will do better, which just seems out of place to me.

I do love how well mine does on the freeway

krany

kranberry
Yea free way driving is a must. I am still cruising around in front wheel and at 65 I am in city gear a put 3k to 4k. Maybe 4:88s may be way to go and some 4:7 t case gears?

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
5.29s as you found out at a little to deep for people that drive the freeway if colton does alright on the road with 4.10s (as i do also) then i think you would be better off just getting a set of used 4.10s for the front for cheap( got mine for $25). especially with the 4.7's you plan.
Then if you still feel like you need lower axle gears get the 4.88's front and rear, since youd have to buy them front and rear either way.

With 4.10s and 4.7's in the t case your crawl is 76:1 and you would be crusing on the freeway at about 2300 rpms at 70mphs

With 4.88s your crawl is 90:1 and you cruise at 70mphs at 2800 rpms

With 5.29s your crawl is 98:1 and at 70mph your at 3000rpms

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
5.29s as you found out at a little to deep for people that drive the freeway if colton does alright on the road with 4.10s (as i do also) then i think you would be better off just getting a set of used 4.10s for the front for cheap( got mine for $25). especially with the 4.7's you plan.
Then if you still feel like you need lower axle gears get the 4.88's front and rear, since youd have to buy them front and rear either way.

With 4.10s and 4.7's in the t case your crawl is 76:1 and you would be crusing on the freeway at about 2300 rpms at 70mphs

With 4.88s your crawl is 90:1 and you cruise at 70mphs at 2800 rpms

With 5.29s your crawl is 98:1 and at 70mph your at 3000rpms

Where are you getting your numbers from? and does that factor in tire size? talking about the rpm's

Last edited:

Marsh99

Yea free way driving is a must. I am still cruising around in front wheel and at 65 I am in city gear a put 3k to 4k. Maybe 4:88s may be way to go and some 4:7 t case gears?

let me know if you are going to swap to 4:88 we might be able to make a deal... but I want to see how mine does with 4.88 and 37's first.

Last edited:

Marsh99

I havent had any issues with mine, and for offroad, surprisingly, it is pretty dang low with just the single case w/ 4.7s.

I dont know how well you will be able to move down the freeway with the lower gears, but I hear a lot of ppl saying it will do better, which just seems out of place to me.

I do love how well mine does on the freeway

all I know is you burn clutches up with stock gears and big tires I ran 4.10 with 33's and I hated it. I smoked up 2 clutches in about 1 year. Given I was in high school and drove like a bat out of hell, but I was much happier to have 5.29 and 35's. I could actually have get off the line power. I do understand the freeway situation but unless you have the horsepower to spin your wheels with 4.10's you will be stuck in 4th gear. In my 4.10 33's I loved going down hill with the wind. As soon as there was and incline or wind I was back in 4th.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
5.29's, or 4.88's.. Since you already have one diff with 5.29's - you know my answer. 5.29's shouldn't "bog" the engine down at all. The lower gearing will help alleviate any "bogging" when running larger tires. I'd say if you're having issues with city driving, to ditch the automatic transmission and get a manual. Better fuel economy, and better power selection at your command. The autos in those trucks are crap, IMO... But we've had that conversation it looks like.

sixstringsteve

for offroad, you'll be fine with 4.10 diff gears and 4.7s in the t-case. If you're taking it on the road (which sounds like the case here), then you'd be best off with the right gearing. The toyota engineers designed the engine to work within a certain RPM range. When you throw 35" tires on a truck that originally came with 30", you're forcing it to work harder at lower RPMs.

I've driven Colton's truck, and it's a nice truck, but the first thing I would do is regear it. Just putting it in first from a standstill and the engine bogs way down. If you want it to drive like stock, like the engineers designed it, then 4.88s would be ideal, followed by 5.29s. I agree with SAMI though, if you already have 5.29s in front, get some for the rear. Then, if you think it's too low, sell 'em. 5.29 thirds are really easy to sell, assuming they're in good shape and they've been set up correctly.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Where are you getting your numbers from? and does that factor in tire size? talking about the rpm's

The info is from a gear ratio calc, www.grimmjeeper.com and yes that accounts for tire size.
I see Brandons point about burning up clutches, i dont have to worry because i run a auto but if your doing this on the cheap like most are then i would have to go with the 5.29s like others said.
But if you have the money and time id say over all you might be happier with 4.88's but its your call Krany either way get the same gears in both axles and wheel the thing:greg:

Last edited: