Toyota Project runner up

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have your same set-up w/ the auto, 5.29's, 35's, and it does fine on the freeway. the problem at high speeds isn't whether or not it's revved to the max going 65, the problem is whether or not the motor will push it up to 65-75. If I had 4.88's, the torque at freeway speed would be less, causing lower speeds. I WOULD NOT DO 4.88'S. Sure, you're at a lower RPM at 70mph, IF the motor will get you to 70mph. I can cruise usually between 60 and 75 no problem depending on incline and wind. It'll go up the point of the mountain at 60 mph. w/ 4.88's THAT WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE, IMO. If you had the 5 speed, the 4.88's would be ok, but with the auto, 5.29's are the only way to go!

Also, w/ the auto tranny the 4.7:1 gearing in the t case is NOT possible unless you spend $$ on an adapter for a gear driven case, yank the stock chain driven case, and fiddle a bit w/ the parking pawl in the tranny.

Also, the toyota tranny is pretty much the same tranny (AW4) that comes behind the 4.0 in Jeeps. It's a great tranny!! The difference is the t case, which sucks away some of the power in the toyotas. That's why people don't like it......but you don't need to worry about the tranny itself being a piece of crap. It'll last if you maintain it and never pull a trailer w your 22re/auto combo :eek:)

please correct me if I'm wrong w/ any of this info.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
His wording can go either way, actually. There was no clarification as to what transmission he does, or does not have. So, chalk it up to poor communication. ;)

pELYgroso

'Merica
gotcha.......in that case either the 4.88's or the 5.29s will work. My bad, I should have looked a little closer.

And if you have the 5 speed, I'd stick (nice pun huh!) with it!

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
well i guess we were all just feeling around in the dark so untill krany says what he has i dont think anyone can give advice at this point

krany

kranberry
Been away from a computer all day and haunt had time to check this thread, it's the stock 5 speed trans. I guess 5:29s are gonn be my route besides, it leaves room open for bigger tires say 37's

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Yea. If I go 37's then I have no choice but to do ruf's I rub as it is already at full flex.

Ruf is a sweet upgrade, but can be super expensive.. Everyone thinks that using rear springs is the cheap way, but they are mistaken: you will need a one if not two sets of 84-88 rear, springs drop hanger, new shock mounts, Hy steer, and a new drive line, and probably longer shocks. It is sweet because it pushes the axle forward not only giving you a better approach angle but makes it so you don't have to cut and tub fire wall. I know you are on the cheap build ,but just be aware. You can do it cheaply if you have stuff already, but just beaware

Before on my 1980 w/31 tire
palm021-1.jpg

After w/31 tire
eb30f429.jpg

on my new 4runner
Before w/31 tire
7954821-1.jpg

After w/ 37
IMAG0434.jpg

Last edited:

krany

kranberry
i like how that looks, do you have enough clearence in there that you dont rub at full flex? currently i hit the fender wells( the back side by the doors and not in the front) i almost ripped off my fender flare when i flexed it out.
i under stand its not cheap i have a long spline drive shaft and also already have shock hoops, they arnt made of tube but they are still pretty beffy. correct me if iam wrong but dont you have to move the steering box forward along with buying an ifs steering box?

Last edited:

iamsparticus

RUF's can be spendy but if you use the ford shock towers for upper shock mounts thats only 15 bucks each brand new, high steer you can get used or buy new and the hangers you can make your self, so i guess its all how much work you want to do krany. As for the tires rubbing you proably just need to set your bumpstops better

sixstringsteve

if you're worried about rubbing the 37s, there are a few things you can do:

1) re-drill your spring center pin a couple inches forward
2) tub your fenders
3) get a new spring that moves the center pin (RUF, Allpro, Marlin, etc)

I've always been a big fan of huge tires with fender trimming. i like big tires, but I don't like limiting uptravel until my springs are totally flat. I want to use all the suspension I can.

sixstringsteve

i wanna get ahold of a forklift or something to lift it to just before where the tires rubs and then set them.

I know, wouldn't it be nice to have a forklift in your backyard?

I'm sure you already know this, but I thought it was worth mentioning. You should set your bump stops based off the spring position rather than tire-to-fender clearance. There's a chance your spring goes flat before your tire rubs. In that case, it'd be best to set your bump stops right where your spring goes flat, rather than where the tire hits the fender.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
i like how that looks, do you have enough clearence in there that you dont rub at full flex? currently i hit the fender wells( the back side by the doors and not in the front) i almost ripped off my fender flare when i flexed it out.
i under stand its not cheap i have a long spline drive shaft and also already have shock hoops, they arnt made of tube but they are still pretty beffy. correct me if iam wrong but dont you have to move the steering box forward along with buying an ifs steering box?
I haven't flexed it yet so I don't know. You are correct move steering box forward and switch to a ifs box. I am doing that on my runner right now actually just pulled old box and I m getting ready to do the clearance to move new box forward and mount it

iamsparticus

my bumps are set just a hair past flat but thats only because they are almost flat just sitting there because the weight of the V6 i never have bothered making the pack stiffer because i like the soft flexyness