Isuzu Project: Stratotrooper

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Probably good to give an update in that there is no update. Most of my time has been spent on getting the new house situated. Trooper is running strong though, so hopefully this fall I can get back on schedule!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As I'm sure many of you have been waiting with baited breath for an update on my Trooper, you don't need to wait any longer! Since the last major update, I've recovered from a major injury/illness, bought a house, and got married. So the Trooper has understandably taken a bit of a back seat. That said, it hasn't just been sitting collecting dust. No, it’s been out on about a dozen trips of varying lengths since last summer and has performed admirably. Which brings us to today’s update.

Phase II:

On a couple of my recent trips I’ve come close to my fuel limit between the 22 gallons in the tank and the five gallon’s out back in the Scepter can holder Carl built for me years ago. A double Scepter can holder was always in the plans of upgrades I wanted in this project. Back before the world ended, a friend and I bought six Scepter cans off a guy on KSL. Included in that purchase were two holders that were, shall we say, extremely over built. Each one weighed in at over 20 pounds, for comparison the single holder that I already had weighs only 9 pounds! After having them sitting in my garage for a few months, I finally thought I’d do something with them. Now, I am no fabricator like Carl or spaggyroe; I’m just a guy with an angle grinder, reciprocating saw, a 110v Craftsman Mig welder, and a free Sunday!

I wish I had thought to take a before picture, but basically each holder had a ton of unneeded metal on the sides. And this isn’t light stuff, its 1/8th inch steel. By cutting them down to an “L” I shaved 10 pounds out of each holder! After hacking them up, I flipped the ol’ buzz box on and did a really ugly job of welding them together (that’s what flap wheels and paint’s for, right?). Once they were solid, I pulled the old holder off the back of the Trooper and started the process of mounting the new one.

49932815156_28d91b2dbb_b.jpg

49932302843_be4029fcf8_b.jpg

Since this setup is significantly taller than my old one, I had to drill holes into the top and bottom of door in addition to the old license plate holder holes I’d been using before. All told, I used ten mount points, connecting all of them with steel bars on the inside of the door for rigidity.
Once I’d drilled all the holes it was time to clean up the door panel, plug all the old excess holes, and paint it with some bed liner.

49932302768_8cb999e9df_b.jpg

49932302743_f3711d12a8_b.jpg

49932302733_9db7094224_b.jpg

49932815201_dc9ec40fb2_b.jpg

After everything had dried, I mounted it and loaded it up with two full cans. My biggest worry was if the door could handle the weight. But I’ve seen other Troopers out there with similar setups and honestly, that door is pretty stout. So far, everything seems sturdy and solid!

49932302853_0ba2b00f77_b.jpg

49932815126_6700b49330_b.jpg

49932302823_6bf561d800_b.jpg

49933126402_fbc8219089_b.jpg

Aside from where the plate is mounted, I'm happy with how the "recycling" project turned out. I thought about mounting the plate down low, but I really didn't like how that looked. And if I have to open both sides, meh, no big deal.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Looks good, I think it will be fine that small door doesn't have that much weight for the size of the hinges. I always wondered why they didn't just do one big door back there.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Looks good, I think it will be fine that small door doesn't have that much weight for the size of the hinges.

I agree, like most things on 2nd Gen Troopers, they are over built for their application.

I always wondered why they didn't just do one big door back there.

A style choice, I'm sure. I always liked the look.

Is there room underneath to put an extra fuel tank? Or is the tank under the rear?

The fuel tank is in the rear. Long Range Automotive builds a 35 gallon replacement tank, but it ain't cheap!

I don’t have any feedback on location but I would wire a light to it to avoid being pulled over.

I ran my old set up for ~6 years with no light and never got pulled over. If I do I'll figure out putting a light back there, but for now I'll live on the edge!