suisuki

Chrome Won't Get ya' home
I had some extra 1.25" dom so I decided to sleeve the rock-slides to give them some more strength before welding them up permanent.
Cut off the front of the slider, drilled it for plug welds and slid in 48"s of tubing.
P1010939.jpg

I understand the proper way to do a sleeve is to drill four holes in the end of each tube for plug welds. I also drilled holes farther down where the fender tubes attach. The top holes are inside the upright tube and needed no grinding. Lower 4 holes not visable in this pic.
P1010943.jpg

after sanding down the welds
P1010946.jpg

I wanted the part where the bigger tube is cut to be supported by a joint so I cut the sliders where I planned to add another support. Originally when I made this cage I just welded some plates to the boat sides and welded the cage to that, but now I want it to go all the way to the frame so I added this tube cross support down to the lower link bracket then welded some 1/2''x.125 flat-bar between the boat side and tube to tie it all together, no worries of the A-pillar going thru the floor now.
P1010949.jpg

Finished off the sliders by adding some tube gussetts to each of the four fishplate to frame connections.
P1010951.jpg

Last edited:

suisuki

I know it's not time to make this kind of stuff yet but I needed it for a trip we took in the car over the weekend so here's my 2" receiver-mount gear-rack, it's 36"Wx 24"D and ~40"s off the ground, so it should stay mostly out of harms way and will make getting the camp gear and such to the trail a little easier.
P1010954.jpg

suisuki

Looking good, those slider brackets look strangly familiar

Yeah, I stole those from you :D:D
THANKS!

Crawler12's "Lost Samurai" http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=43956and "Project M.U.T.T."
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=45493
builds have been great inspirations to me in this build, If you haven't checked them your missing out on some really great Fab work. The lost sami is somewhat responsable for me wanting to get my zuk out of the garage last summer (after sitting 2 years) and starting this whole mess.

It's all your fault Mr. 12 :mad:

suisuki

Well It's been a busy week and I broke my finger (pinky on my left hand no big deal) but I did manage to get one inner fender done.
Now I just need to get the other side done and I can patch up the floor.
P1020016.jpg

P1020020.jpg

P1020018.jpg

suisuki

Ok, time to check-in I've been a little busy with another project(for someone else) but thats finished now and I've brought another capable Zuk into to world. I built this other zuk using my old YJ springs and conversion kit and put my old tires and wheels on it. I was a little suprized when I fininshed this Zuk and parked it next to mine, they're nearly the same hight. I was shocked, I thoght I was building some tall monster but apparently it's just an optical illusion. My current belly hight is 24"s and this other zuk is at 21"s. So, It looks like I went from a 33" to a 39.5" tire with zero suspension lift,(but lots of sheet metal removal) if I put the 33''s back on it I'd actually be a 1/4" lower than I was. All my gained hight is due to the tires. anyway here's the pics.

P1020053.jpg

Here's the cage I made for it
P1020026.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
...I was a little suprized when I fininshed this Zuk and parked it next to mine, they're nearly the same hight. I was shocked, I thoght I was building some tall monster but apparently it's just an optical illusion. My current belly hight is 24"s and this other zuk is at 21"s. So, It looks like I went from a 33" to a 39.5" tire with zero suspension lift,(but lots of sheet metal removal) if I put the 33''s back on it I'd actually be a 1/4" lower than I was. All my gained hight is due to the tires.

That right there is a good feeling! You'll enjoy wheeling with that low of a COG and tires that large. My TJ is similar, only a TJ with a 3" lift and 33's is shorter at the belly than my Wrangler, and that's just by a hair.

suisuki

Back to my rig......... I got my inner fenders fininshed and my floor all patched up
P1020142.jpg

got some hood rest tabs made
P1020061.jpg

got some fender side skins and tabs made
P1020069.jpg

got the rocklights mounted
P1020071.jpg

P1020074.jpg

got my tailgate latch finished and cut and dimpled some tail light holes
P1020140.jpg

made a custom mount for some 1157 twelve led lights
P1020150.jpg

P1020149.jpg

They're way bright, this is just the dimmer tail mode not the super-blinding, stop, turn, level (camera didn't like the brighter mode)
P1020152.jpg

Last edited:

suisuki

Thanks guys,

Ya, Greg I can't wait to see what it feels like to wheel a stable rig. With only like 79"s of wheelbase before it seemed I always had a tire in the air or bordered on rolling.

suisuki

got my frame notches all plated up and finnished (that tube is capped now too)
P1020160.jpg

pulled the rear tube work, finished welding it, primed it and painted it. color is Rust-o-leam Hamered Black.
P1020145.jpg

stripped the rig as far as I cared to, masked it off, and primed the frame, axles, and tube work, and suspension. So far I've got the front painted.
P1020168.jpg

P1020172.jpg

Last edited:

suisuki

I finished painting the frame and suspension and got the body primed the other day and layed down a couple of color coats today.
P1020177.jpg

The color of the tube and frame paint (hammered black) is really close to the color I choose as the base color for the body, unitentional but it looks good to me.
P1020185.jpg

I added a flattener to the body paint to take it from gloss to satin. When the full gloss black flames are added over the top the shine of the full gloss should really make the flames "Pop".

Last edited:

Bart

Love the way it's turning out and really like the way you did the tail lights. Where did you get those and do they come in amber? I need to figure out a park/turn signal light for the front of my buggy.

suisuki

Love the way it's turning out and really like the way you did the tail lights. Where did you get those and do they come in amber? I need to figure out a park/turn signal light for the front of my buggy.

Thanks,
I got the lights at Checker for $18 a pair. I don't recall seeing the 1157 in amber but I wasn't looking for it. I know you can get the 194 four led in amber, I like the idea of the bigger one up front for a turn though I'll have to check the next time I'm there, you just gave me an idea ;) Thanks

suisuki

p.s.
Also if you do use them they are exactly 1" diameter so they fit perfect in a 1" hole.
I just drilled a 1" hole in some sheet metal and glued them in from the backside using "The Right Stuff" a form in place gasket making product. I'm sure any silicone would work.