redbulltj

I'm a cutter
what are the specs on the wheels you are currently running (BS,width, and total track)? I am looking at a set of 17x9.5 wheel with 4"of BS, but want to make sure it will fit in the garage.

I found my receipt: 17X8 5" backspacing. They come 4.5 backspacing but Tim from WildWestOffroad had Allied shave the mounting surface 1/2 inch. If I remember right outside tire to outside tire is 80.5ish.

I will double check the backspacing in the morning...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Markus, I'm not sure if this helps, but my Chev 60 with H2s and 40" MTRs still fits on my trailer but just barely. Fenders are right at about 82.5" or so? I think I have about 1/2" to spare on each side as I put it on the trailer

mierdota

i ran stock dodge wheels on mine and they worked out awesome ill even be able to keep her on the street

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I currently have some H2 wheels that redbulltj hooked me up with, but they are a bit narrow and have too much backspacing. My rig sits so low that I'll need more offset so that it will turn and flex with these massive tires.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I currently have some H2 wheels that redbulltj hooked me up with, but they are a bit narrow and have too much backspacing. My rig sits so low that I'll need more offset so that it will turn and flex with these massive tires.

Dem are big (I bet you don't hear that often? )

mierdota

ill take the h2's when your done with them if you get rid of them

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*update*

I finished up the crossmember and welded it in. It turned out super beefy and will have just enough drop to keep my A/S numbers in line.

008-3.jpg

010-3.jpg

016-1.jpg

014.jpg

018-1.jpg

017.jpg

Started welding my 3/8 truss to my 5/8 tubes, and after a few passes the 180 amp hobart said no more pie. Going to tack everything on and then have a buddy finish welding it up for me instead.

020-1.jpg

021.jpg

I will have the axle bolted in tomorrow!

GOAT

Back from the beyond
That crossmember is looking great

Thanks.

*update*

I mocked up the upper and lower links today to get an idea of what is going to have to be moved around.

I welded the lower axle brackets too far outboard, placing the frame side JJs at a high angle. On the plus side, the lower links are almost parallel to the ground.
005-3.jpg

006-5.jpg

007-5.jpg

008-4.jpg

It was not fun plasma cutting those brackets back off the housing, and then having to order another set from ballistic:rolleyes:

I also had to cut a section of the rear crossmember off to get the axle to sit at ride height. To clear the arms and truss, I will probably have to cut some of the floor out and raise the gastank as well. This thing sits low:cool:
009-2.jpg

mikeh

I remember how you you trashed the build that i did for my buddy. but i cant do that yours looks good keep up the work. PS. the build i did ant broke anything in 2 years tracter linkes and all.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
What wheels are you thinking of getting? Inquiring minds wanna know!

possibly the allied or spyder customs. they are both aluminum and are 9.5" wide, but have shallow offset. it may not fit in the garage. I will sell the h2 rollers when the beadlocks get here, and donate the proceeds to the rehabilitate timmyK back into wheeling fund.......

:greg:

I remember how you you trashed the build that i did for my buddy. but i cant do that yours looks good keep up the work. PS. the build i did ant broke anything in 2 years tracter linkes and all.

thanks, i think. what build?

Last edited by a moderator:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*Update*

I finally ordered my Fox 2.5 airsocks from mike @ summit. They are in the 14" & 16" flavor:cool:

With the momentum behind me, i headed to the garage this weekend determined to cut the "misplaced" lower brakets off and get the rear welded in. What instead ended up happening was a complete exercise in futility that would have certainly resulted in me pushing the jeep outside and lighting it on fire had i not been too tired. Ever had one of those days?

Lesson learned
002-4.jpg

Got the uppers and lowers mocked up. Even with the adjustability, im not happy with upper angles.
006-6.jpg

007-6.jpg

The truss has nearly 11" of separation from the lowers and a gap of around 3" to the pumpkin. I am going to cut the truss off, shorten the crap out of it and, go from there-_-
009-3.jpg

PS, thanks for the encouragement kiel;)

redbulltj

I'm a cutter
possibly the allied or spyder customs. they are both aluminum and are 9.5" wide, but have shallow offset. it may not fit in the garage. I will sell the h2 rollers when the beadlocks get here, and donate the proceeds to the rehabilitate timmyK back into wheeling fund.......

I have been thinking about a Pickles II project. Looking at my jeep I realize how bad my fab work is and I cannot believe it has stayed together as long as it has. With two full rolls and countless flops on it's side, somehow it has stayed together.

My plan is to redo the back frame section with something I can be proud of.

I got the Cayman S sold and I am going to order knuckles from Wayne. Then I will redo the rear with possible air shocks. I am watching you build yours and I wish I was there to dig into it. I will be looking close at your rear;) to see how the shocks come out.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I have been thinking about a Pickles II project. Looking at my jeep I realize how bad my fab work is and I cannot believe it has stayed together as long as it has. With two full rolls and countless flops on it's side, somehow it has stayed together.

My plan is to redo the back frame section with something I can be proud of.

I got the Cayman S sold and I am going to order knuckles from Wayne. Then I will redo the rear with possible air shocks. I am watching you build yours and I wish I was there to dig into it. I will be looking close at your rear;) to see how the shocks come out.

Don't feel bad, that was almost 8 years ago. Considering the circumstances, it looks pretty damn good. Building a rear frame in MUCH easier when you are ditching the factory coils. Tube and go.......

Sold the porsche. why?