Project Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Airbags. I needed to add some airbags since the weight of the tent and all my gear has my springs overloaded and my shackles close to being flattened out. I added 2 extra leafs last spring but still wasn't cutting it.

One of the problems with airbags on a rig like mine is they are not made to travel the amount that the axle will travel. So I came up with a hinge design that makes it so the bag won't be pulled apart when in full droop. The hinge will open up allowing the axle to drop without extending the bag. I have cycled it and so far it seems to work well, in my driveway. Still needs some trail testing. It would be a mess if the hinge fully opened and didn't fold back to its rightful position however it only opens at the most 2 inches (in my driveway) that I've found.

Mount
013.jpg

Mounted bag (no air in bag)
017-1.jpg

YOUKNOW

That is really smart to have a hinge like that. I have been looking at your truck for the longest time, and I really like it! Let us know how the hing works out.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Side view of bag installed. Note: the deflated bag is pulling up on the hinge at the moment which is why its not sitting all the way flat at the moment. Also the leaf spring mount was positioned many different ways and this is the only way I could get it to fit.
023.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Is there anything other than the bag to make the hinge open? Is that amount of tension OK with the bags? (never dealt with airbags, so I really don't know)

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Is there anything other than the bag to make the hinge open? Is that amount of tension OK with the bags? (never dealt with airbags, so I really don't know)

Hmm not really sure what your asking. The hinge doesn't open until the axles drop and the bag has met its limit of how far it can expand. This makes it so there is no axial force applied to the bags which the bags are not designed for that would cause them to fail very quickly. Now as far as cyclic failure that is a different story. By extending them and compressing them like I plan on using them on this rig, they will probably fail prematurely to what they normally would. I knew that going into this and will have to replace them more often. This answer what you were thinking?

Corban_White

The weight of the bag and the hinge? That much tension should be just fine.

Hmm not really sure what your asking. The hinge doesn't open until the axles drop and the bag has met its limit of how far it can expand. This makes it so there is no axial force applied to the bags which the bags are not designed for that would cause them to fail very quickly. Now as far as cyclic failure that is a different story. By extending them and compressing them like I plan on using them on this rig, they will probably fail prematurely to what they normally would. I knew that going into this and will have to replace them more often. This answer what you were thinking?

The bags should last just fine. Usually where bags fail is if they sit for a period of time in the same place. Then the rubber will crack where it is folded. By exercising them they should last as long as they are designed to.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yeah, the weight of the bag/hinge plus any resistance from the hinges as they rust solid. :D

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I loaded the hinge with grease when I put them together which should help with the rust. Also just curious if you have seen my truck? There is no rust under there.;)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I loaded the hinge with grease when I put them together which should help with the rust. Also just curious if you have seen my truck? There is no rust under there.;)

I reside in reality though, which is where your truck isn't. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Lewis, that's a pretty cool idea-- I'm considering lightening the springs on my dually up, but adding airbags for the load capacity. That little innovation you showed us all here would work quite nicely I think. :D

Your truck gets better every time you post. Carry on!

mierdota

i have followed your build since you started it i love your truck you have done a very good job. I am/was a jeep guy but i am sick of jeeps i am ready for something different, my friends older brother is selling me his 2004 double cab for a smokin deal and i am so excited. I already have a front axle for the sas, the truck has a 6" fabtech lift on it so its got a good start. Keep up the good work.

Coco

i have followed your build since you started it i love your truck you have done a very good job. I am/was a jeep guy but i am sick of jeeps i am ready for something different, my friends older brother is selling me his 2004 double cab for a smokin deal and i am so excited. I already have a front axle for the sas, the truck has a 6" fabtech lift on it so its got a good start. Keep up the good work.

I hate you. -_-

sixstringsteve

Off topic, but doesn't the fabtech require extensive cutting of the frame/crossmember? I wonder if that would pose any future problems for a SAS. Probably nothing that some nice frame plating couldn't fix.