PSA check your tires regularly (especially if they are BFG)

85CUCVKRAWLER

I was driving home yesterday and my tire pressure light came on, bring it up on my HUD and watch as the air is leaving my left front tire. Thankfully i am passing my office, which has a shop, so i pull in and get to swapping on the spare. No big deal, figure i picked up a nail or something at the last junkyard i was just at. Look at the tire and see what appears to multiple slices down my sidewall of my 275/70R18 BFG AT2 and air was leaving one of the cracks. Almost like i grazed a piece of glass on the highway. Shocked i checked my other tires and i see the exact same cuts.

20240418_122237.jpg

20240418_115128.jpg

These tires are only 3 years old, almost to the day and spent their entire life's in Utah. They have probably 70k miles on them and were due for replacement soon.

Now, i inspect tires as part of my job as a Crash Reconstructionist and as such have probably inspected 500 tires or more. I have never seen this type of failure, and if i had, my client and i would have had a pow-wow about who is getting sued. After a consult with my tire manufacturing expert, these are age-related cracks due to failure of the tire carcass from deteriorating rubber. This is an extreme risk of tire blow out.

These cracks could be due to sun decomposition of the rubber compound. Which would make sense as my truck stays parked outside. But 3 years of age is a substantially reduced life expectancy of a tire and denotes that there may have been a manufacturing defect in the rubber compound. 6 years is the general rule of thumb for a tire life expectancy but in reality it is the most conservative. My wife's suburban has the same tires, but they are right at 6 years old and do not have any indication of these same type of cracks.

So, in summation, please check your tires regularly. If you see any sidewall cracking, replace the tire immediately. Thanks for joining my Ted Talk.

The_Lobbster

This has been an ongoing thing. If you google it, quite a few other people are experiencing it as well for the last 3 or 4 years. Hopefully BFG get its it figured out.

Glad you caught it in time!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was driving home yesterday and my tire pressure light came on, bring it up on my HUD and watch as the air is leaving my left front tire. Thankfully i am passing my office, which has a shop, so i pull in and get to swapping on the spare. No big deal, figure i picked up a nail or something at the last junkyard i was just at. Look at the tire and see what appears to multiple slices down my sidewall of my 275/70R18 BFG AT2 and air was leaving one of the cracks. Almost like i grazed a piece of glass on the highway. Shocked i checked my other tires and i see the exact same cuts.

View attachment 171897

View attachment 171898

These tires are only 3 years old, almost to the day and spent their entire life's in Utah. They have probably 70k miles on them and were due for replacement soon.

Now, i inspect tires as part of my job as a Crash Reconstructionist and as such have probably inspected 500 tires or more. I have never seen this type of failure, and if i had, my client and i would have had a pow-wow about who is getting sued. After a consult with my tire manufacturing expert, these are age-related cracks due to failure of the tire carcass from deteriorating rubber. This is an extreme risk of tire blow out.

These cracks could be due to sun decomposition of the rubber compound. Which would make sense as my truck stays parked outside. But 3 years of age is a substantially reduced life expectancy of a tire and denotes that there may have been a manufacturing defect in the rubber compound. 6 years is the general rule of thumb for a tire life expectancy but in reality it is the most conservative. My wife's suburban has the same tires, but they are right at 6 years old and do not have any indication of these same type of cracks.

So, in summation, please check your tires regularly. If you see any sidewall cracking, replace the tire immediately. Thanks for joining my Ted Talk.
Great advice on tires. Were you aware of any excessive temperatures on these tires? Not heat from weather, but heat from use under heavy loads or low pressure.

85CUCVKRAWLER

Great advice on tires. Were you aware of any excessive temperatures on these tires? Not heat from weather, but heat from use under heavy loads or low pressure.

Excessive heat from "use", or more commonly, low tire pressure, exhibits a bluing, or blue hue to the tire carcass. Its how we can tell if a tire deflated before a blowout vs an unexpected blow out. My tires show no bluing at all.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I think you should keep driving on them and see how long they last
ferkniqo0fu61.jpg

STAG

On my grind
BFG and Michelin are one in the same. They are well known for drying out and weather cracking.
May be a dumb question; but does a product like a rubber conditioner (I don’t necessarily mean tire shine, unless it’s specified to work as both) prolong the life of tires against dry rot?

I’ve personally never been one to ever use any kind of tire product or tire shine but I mean it wouldn’t be hard at all to start applying a product a few times a year if it makes any prolonging?

Coco

May be a dumb question; but does a product like a rubber conditioner (I don’t necessarily mean tire shine, unless it’s specified to work as both) prolong the life of tires against dry rot?

I’ve personally never been one to ever use any kind of tire product or tire shine but I mean it wouldn’t be hard at all to start applying a product a few times a year if it makes any prolonging?
Honestly, I am not sure. I am not big on tire shines myself. I honestly think they may accelerate the dry rot, but that is just my personal opinion. I have no research to show it either way. I have always hated how the tires look after they get dirty, and if you ever wash it, they always just look dirty from there after. I like my tires all nat-uR-Al!