Recovery gear test session (feeler thread)

RogueJeepr

Here!
Went out today for testing and.......
Actually got stuck. [emoji15]
It was icy under the snow making it very slippery.
As I tried making it up this hill with 2 big holes dug out I kept sliding over to the right.
That's Ok. Keep clam and winch on.

926e7818db40e4b47be46eab4754e25e.jpg

0fdc26d5984e72251275877cf4753abf.jpg

The ground is frozen solid so I stuck the pullpall on the other side of a hill and it dug right in.[emoji2]
72ea86acf97ff8312739f68b66012ee4.jpg

0b29ad5c9d49468414db65e65108c614.jpg

This would be a good location for some recovery practice. Even has some junk cars to pull on.
705b52b5e7c137887348a3a3e97cd2ee.jpg

4c7f95ae10187465cb7d2c7bb7db6243.jpg

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yes it did.
I went back to my existing hole and made sure the rear shackle angle was forward and down. Helped big time.

Still want to do a pull on flat terrain but the dirt was frozen and packed down hard. Tried digging a hole, only got an inch down.

Here's another pic.

6a7b5e9fff11b1126d37a19083d0fdeb.jpg

RogueJeepr

Here!
Any pics of your winch yet Kevin ?

Found a new location for flat ground testing, took a shovel to it. Looks promising.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I mean, it's behind the bumper, there's not much to see :D. Here's a pic I snapped during the test fit, it looks a lot like this except painted and with shackle mounts. I still need to figure out what I'm going to do about the open frame rails.

xgFXKUX.jpg

I need to see about getting a wireless remote or setting up controls in the cab, because reaching up behind the bumper to plug in the remote is sort of a pain in the butt.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You could maybe move the solenoid box somewhere more accessible? If it's a separate box, anyway....I put mine in front of the battery on my 80. I have to pop the hood to plug in the controller now.

What did you do for your clutch handle? I have to reach up under my bumper to move the clutch lever--still need to figure out a different system for that.

I like having it hidden behind the bumper though. :cool:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Your install is much cleaner than mine! There was no way for me to deal with the weird swoopy bumper valance besides cut it all out so mine is more blatant than I'd like. I'm thinking I might rig up a hinged bracket for the license plate to try and hide it.

I have just enough room to slip my fat hands in there and reach the clutch handle. How did you get yours underneath, clock the gear box?

RogueJeepr

Here!
I had to clock mine to get the handle right.
Here's a pic. Hope it helps somehow.
ede1a7ec6121e7e8445b404b1ca46612.jpg

Just undo the Allen screws on the side and pull the case about a 1/2"or so, just enough to rotate it.
Put back together.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
OK guys I bought the stock (green and gray) before heading out of town for the weekend. I'll be back on Tuesday; want to plan a run or something for next Saturday so I can get them to you all?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Did you still wanna try a quick run this weekend ?
Maybe that trail again. That hill climb keeps calling to me. Pretty sure it's a total winch fest.
Black rock canyon could be an option.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have just enough room to slip my fat hands in there and reach the clutch handle. How did you get yours underneath, clock the gear box?

Yep, clocked the end. Mine is also mounted feet-forward, and is "upside down" which is why the clutch is on the passenger side.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Did more flat pull testing. Kinda hard to find a location since the ground is frozen.
1st location it went down about 6" but below that was frozen. Still pulled the jeep with slight pressure on the e-brake.
2nd location was softer dirt since they just demolished a house and filled in the hole.
This time it went down almost 10" and more pressure on the e-brake (dragging the back wheels).
Id call that a success.
[emoji106]

I'd have to say during winter on hard frozen ground maybe some stakes pounded in the ground is a better option.

Im sure spring will bring some muddy conditions and I'll really get to test it.

DAA

My store bought one LOVES hard frozen ground. Little bit harder to get it started, but once it does, it bites and holds hard in frozen stuff. Put it this way, I've had it fail to pull me out on frozen ground, because the winch stalled. But the Pull Pal held.

This spot right here.

IMG_6058.jpg

Old compacted, really dense snow drift. Winch just wouldn't even move the Jeep through it. Like trying to pull it through a brick wall. But the Pull Pal held like a mutha.

Have used it in frozen ground other times and it got me out or through. It doesn't dig deep in frozen. It's never had to go much more than half the blade deep before the Jeep started moving. But even above, where it was holding hard enough to stall the winch, it was only about two thirds of the blade deep. But I think the blade on the store bought version is a lot bigger than the one you are using, too.

Soft ground, I've had it go so deep before the Jeep moved it was a trip. PITA it get back up!

- DAA