Recovery rig thoughts

LT.

I should have noticed Los Alamos by your name on the post.

Is the NMVJC still around, those guys always had so many wheeling trips going on. I remember one three day weekend I wheeled with 3 different groups on 3 different trails in 3 days. (I think it is dead they haven't updated their site in a while. funny thing is there are 2 pics of my now gone bronco on this scrolling pic thingy http://nmvjc.org/about.htm)

I was raised in Abq NM moved to Salt Lake in 2005. I have been in Utah long enough that I am not used to seeing hippies anymore, when I see a hippie I am like "really" then I realize that Utah doesn't have many hippies. Not saying hippies are bad or good just something you don't see much of in Utah.

I miss the cover band Vanilla Pop, they are from Taos but play all over NM.
http://vanillapop.com/

-Nathan

I did not know about the nmvjc. I guess because I don't own a jeep. In their opening page it states that you must own a jeep. I have seen Vanillapop once I think. Every Friday night during the summer here in town they have a summer concert. I think that is where I saw them.

What took you away from New Mexico?

LT.

thenag

I did not know about the nmvjc. I guess because I don't own a jeep. In their opening page it states that you must own a jeep. I have seen Vanillapop once I think. Every Friday night during the summer here in town they have a summer concert. I think that is where I saw them.

What took you away from New Mexico?

LT.

I took a job in SL. worked out for me I met my wife up here and am very happy.

Yeah I didn't have a jeep it was actually pretty funny I was like the token non-jeep. I made a hell of a winch anchor with the 6500lb bronco.

Nathan

LT.

I made a hell of a winch anchor with the 6500lb bronco.

Nathan

I'll bet.

On another note. I had decided on the tires and now I am stuck trying to find a suitable replacement. Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar is on a nation wide back order. I had decided to go this route because of the long history Dodge has had with Goodyear. So, what am I going to do. I was pretty set on them because they offer larger diameter sizes and a narrow width. I guess since I have had such great success with my Pitbull Rockers I should look at the radials. My only problem is the sizing. They offer a 37 and then they skip to a 41.5 but, the width is within the range I was considering.

Overtime has been plentiful and I almost have the money together for the front Dana 60. But, now I am thinking that I should have the wheels and tires here first so I can start planning the build. Spring placement, how much spring to use, work on storage room, approach and departure angles, drive lines, and the like. I always run into problems but, I was really trying to only do everything one time again. We all remember how well that philosophy worked on the Beater. Lol. So, what would you do?

LT.

Last edited:

UPNO4

Addicted
The memories this brings up reading this post sent me back to the days when I built my Ramcharger. I had a amallblock with an auto but the axle combo and the capable reliable go get anything quality of it made it a good rig to have on the trail with us excellent anchor in a number of situations

I have an RB block, cranks and some other parts just, I would need to decide if it is ok to part with them. But if not I may be able to help find a RB if you are struggling

LT.

The memories this brings up reading this post sent me back to the days when I built my Ramcharger. I had a amallblock with an auto but the axle combo and the capable reliable go get anything quality of it made it a good rig to have on the trail with us excellent anchor in a number of situations

I have an RB block, cranks and some other parts just, I would need to decide if it is ok to part with them. But if not I may be able to help find a RB if you are struggling

WOW, THANKS! Let me know.

LT.

thenag

I'll bet.

On another note. I had decided on the tires and now I am stuck trying to find a suitable replacement. Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar is on a nation wide back order.

LT.

Wow that sucks. I have kind of turned into a goodyear snob for anything that you are going to run at 70mph and take off road.

good thing I won't need tires for a while unless I start shredding my old mtr's

nathan

LT.

Yep, I had decided on the 40x13.5x17 Goodyear and now I am looking towards the Pitbull Rocker in a 37x12.5x17. I really want to run a radial and the 37" is a little small but, the Pitbulls run a little large anyway so I might be okay.

LT.

LT.

I now have a confirmed deadline on this build. I need to have this truck ready to rock by the first week of June. The truck will see its first real recovery job at that time. I really cannot begin to thank the RME folks enough for giving me so much good advice. Hopefully this truck will not take so many turns like the Beater did. I am going to try and stay focused on the build and not change my mind so many times. Here is a list of what I am shooting for.

1. Dana 60 front axle with 5.13 gears and a Detroit.
2. 14 Bolt FF with 5.13 gears and a spool.
3. NP-203/205 doubler again from Off Road Design.
4. New clutch.
5. Rebuilt motor. If anyone knows of a big block Dodge please let me know.
6. 17" beadlocks.
7. Radial tires in the neighborhood of 37" to 40".
8. Big winch on the front and maybe even one off of the rear. 12,000+
9. Pre runner styled bumpers front and rear with a full sized spare tire in the bed.
10. New exhaust. I don't have a reason for liking to work on exhaust so much but, it is important to me to have a great sounding/working exhaust system.
11. Replace the wood on the bed floor.
12. If time allows I would like to address some smaller issues. Electrical, interior, and the bed.

Some things are still up in the air for now. I have not yet decided on the wheels or on the tires I want to use. I am currently looking at the Allied bead locks that are styled like the old wagon wheels of yesteryear. I am also on the fence for tires. As far as lift size goes it will depend on the tire size. Once I have that figured out the lift springs should be easy. I almost have about half of the cash stashed for the front axle from Boyce Military Equipment. I figure once that is bought that is the largest one lump sum of money. Other things can be bought as money allows. I have decided on not cutting up the truck. I really don't want to hack up classic sheetmetal. This is one of the reasons I bought this truck. Classic, good looking, solid, and a little stylish (at least in my opinion). Another problem for any Dodge or Chevy is the wheel well size on the front. I may try and shift the front axle forward an inch or inch and a half to try and keep the tires out of the fender at full compression especially while turning. As a rule I would also like to address smaller issues as I work on it. Say, the front shackles and maybe even the rear shackles. Perhaps greaseable bolts and bushings as I do the suspension.

Please don't be afraid to offer up advice and your thoughts about this project. So far I have tried to listen to y'all and think this is what most were trying to convey.

LT.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Sounds like a solid plan. One question--any reason for getting the front axle from Boyce? I haven't priced them, but when I've looked their prices are fairly steep. (might be reasonable once you figure on paying labor to rebuild and stuff, but if you can do it yourself....)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Sounds like a solid plan. One question--any reason for getting the front axle from Boyce? I haven't priced them, but when I've looked their prices are fairly steep. (might be reasonable once you figure on paying labor to rebuild and stuff, but if you can do it yourself....)

This

LT.

I am a little behind the curve on setting up gears correctly. The ease of ordering from them and having everything done makes it all to easy for me. I ordered my last Dana 60 that is on the beater from them. Easy to just bolt it up and go. The other thing is that Dodge Dana 60's are a little tougher to find. Chevy 60's and Dodge 60 are just a touch different. The spring pad location is off by about an inch and a half or so. While you can muscle the springs over enough to make them work it causes some quirky handling on the street.

If anyone has a front Dodge 60 I would be more than a little interested. I have already received a PM for parts for the front axle. Please let me know if anyone has one. I really am going to need it.

LT.

Bart

I like it too, except for the rear spool. I'd stick with a 37" tire if it will see much road driving. If you're not going to cut sheet metal it will have to be TALL to fit 40s.

LT.

I like it too, except for the rear spool. I'd stick with a 37" tire if it will see much road driving. If you're not going to cut sheet metal it will have to be TALL to fit 40s.

The 40's would make for a tall lift. I was figuring on a 10" lift or there abouts for the 40's. I think the 37's will fit with about an 8" lift maybe I can get away with a 6". I am a huge fan of spools on the rear axle. Biggest reason is cheap, but I also really like that it is as simple as you can get and indestructible. It is a little hard on rear tires but, with the longer wheel base of the truck and no funny handling like you can have with a detroit and I think it will still be the winner for me. Detroits can cause some funny handling on the winding roads we have here in New Mexico. Especially while getting on the throttle exiting a corner. Add to that the sand and dirt we have on all our highways and it does not make for a real good combo. I am hoping to order the front axle here in a few minutes.

LT.

LT.

I am having trouble deciding on a ring and pinion ratio. What do y'all suggest? I am stuck on the 4.88 right now but, I really want to get this part right the first time. I have the funds for the front axle and I want to make sure I get it right.

LT.

sixb

Will work for beer!
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=4574049&convertTo=USD

This one is in Nevada but if your patient they will pop up in NM to. Nevada has 3 of them on the auction block right now and they'll probably go for less than 2k. I know from experience that those axles will be free and you'll still put around 1500-2000 in your pocket when your done parting it on steelsoilders. Even if you just robbed the axles and scrapped the rest you'll still come out cheaper than Boyce. The rear will have 4.56s and a detroit and the front will be open.
Just an fyi for ya.
Also did you take the beater out to the chili challenge? If so how did it do?

LT.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=4574049&convertTo=USD

This one is in Nevada but if your patient they will pop up in NM to. Nevada has 3 of them on the auction block right now and they'll probably go for less than 2k. I know from experience that those axles will be free and you'll still put around 1500-2000 in your pocket when your done parting it on steelsoilders. Even if you just robbed the axles and scrapped the rest you'll still come out cheaper than Boyce. The rear will have 4.56s and a detroit and the front will be open.
Just an fyi for ya.
Also did you take the beater out to the chili challenge? If so how did it do?

I just saw this post a little too late. I just ordered my front axle from Boyce. Dodge front Dana 60, Detroit locker, 4.88 gears, eight lug with 9/16ths studs, Warn hubs, and all the u-bolts and u-bolt plates. All total I just spent $3,771 for everything. Mark gave me a good deal since this was my second axle I have ordered from him.

I had to sit out on the Chilie Challenge. I was having some steering line issues because I ordered braided stainless steel lines and aeroquip AN fittings. Turns out they are for fuel line and pressure not hydraulic lines or pressure. Another one of my stupid moments.:mad: I should be getting used to them by now.

LT.

Last edited:

oxbronco

Been reading about your plans for your Dodge, sounds a little similiar to mine. Thought I would share a few pics. It has a 440, auto trans, 203 tcase, Dana 60's with detroits and 4.56 gears, 6" tuff country lift. I had 5.13's and they were way to low for highway use even with 37's. Good luck with your build.

Attachments

• CIMG0117.jpg
    CIMG0117.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 49
  • CIMG0116.jpg
    CIMG0116.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 46

LT.

Been reading about your plans for your Dodge, sounds a little similiar to mine. Thought I would share a few pics. It has a 440, auto trans, 203 tcase, Dana 60's with detroits and 4.56 gears, 6" tuff country lift. I had 5.13's and they were way to low for highway use even with 37's. Good luck with your build.

WOW! That is a beautiful truck. I love it. Are you running the 37's with the six inch lift? Did you have to do any trimming? What are the wheels, size, and back space? That is close to what I had in mind.

LT.

oxbronco

Lt, Thanks, I am running 37's with the 6" lift. I had to trim the front fenders slightly. The wheels are 17x8 black steelies, not sure on the back spacing. I actually might be selling it, I would love to have the exact same truck but a crew cab.

LT.

Check out Mr. Daltons truck that he post up in this same thread. It is yellow and a heck of a killer looking rig. Mr. Dalton is such a cool guy, he and his brother were the folks who offered up their welder, steel, time and plenty of effort to help me, ChestonScout, Casper Customs, and Randy Swartz put my Beater back together at Area BFE during the EJS in 2010.

I have been looking at the Allied Daytona style like I used to have on the Beater. Old school looking and still a bead lock wheel. I am undecided on the width of the wheel to buy. They offer the 17X8 and the 17X9 with a 3.5" back space. The tires call for a 10" wide wheel so, I should go with the 9" one but, I do like the idea of having the tires fit under the fenders a bit more. I guess I will have to use an 8" lift to make them fit without hacking up the fenders.

LT.