Central Utah RME August Trail Run; Hanging Tree Trail

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Ok guys, we have a decision to make... I just heard we are the 3rd group planning to run the trail on the 17th. That's going to make it a busy day for HTT and could quite possibly turn into a trail traffic jam. I don't know what time the other groups are starting.

So what should we do, run the trail as planned or reschedule for another weekend?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I might not be able to go another weekend but that shouldn't stop you of everyone else can. I agree. One breakage and it will be at a stand still. The trail is narrow and most places only one vehicle wide can fit. Start earlier in the day?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
How long of a trail is it, how long does it take to get through it properly equipped?
Our group size appears to have dwindled which will make our group pretty nimble getting through, but I've just never ran this trail so I have no idea.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Kind of like pritchett, where you move as fast as the person in front of you with limited ability to go around. Especially in areas where break downs are likely.

My only advice would be start early, be patient, and be careful where you park.

Last time we met up with you know who and paid to park on the private land to avoid trouble and make things easy. With a lot of groups on one weekend parking and parking enforcement might be interesting...

RockChucker

If I remember right, when I ran it bottom to top and turned around and came back down, it was only like 4 miles. Or was it 4 miles each way? Either way the sign says it is longer than it is. That trip I was in my Jeep, a buddy in a Jeep similar to mine and 2 buggies. We finished in like 4 hours at what I would consider a leisurely pace (no winching, strapping, or breakage). The last time I did it, it started raining about 1/3 of the way up and our group consisted of my brother and I in our Jeeps that are almost twins, a TJ on 37s, and 4 TJs on 35s with one of them only locked in the front. The mud made things interesting, but we got through the trail (went out the road up the top) in about 7-8 hours. No breakage or body damage either. But we did have conscientious drivers and strapped after a few attempts to keep things moving along and prevent breakage.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've got a 2.5 hour drive to get there...I can get up earlier, but ask that it be within reason. I am not favorable to moving it to another day as I'm already taking time off to make this date and changes are not always easy. My TJ is on 40's and ready to go - will not be holding up others.

We have the paid/private parking right?

Greg

Admin
I've got a 2.5 hour drive to get there...I can get up earlier, but ask that it be within reason. I am not favorable to moving it to another day as I'm already taking time off to make this date and changes are not always easy. My TJ is on 40's and ready to go - will not be holding up others.

We have the paid/private parking right?

Starting earlier is a good idea, I think it's the best option if we still want to run it on Saturday as planned. How early is a reasonable start? I think most guys will be driving in that morning. How about 7:30 - 8 AM??

Yes, we have permission to park behind the fence, on the private property. Cost is $5/per vehicle. Carl (Ranch Hand for property owner) will be around to collect.

Is anyone planning to camp on the private property? I haven't heard anyone say they were interested. If so, that will cost $10/night.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I can do 8am. I'm not planning on camping. Other than needing someone to help take the spare off the jeep and chain down to the trailer, I can get the jeep aired down and ready to roll pretty quickly.

xjtony

How long of a trail is it, how long does it take to get through it properly equipped?
Our group size appears to have dwindled which will make our group pretty nimble getting through, but I've just never ran this trail so I have no idea.
I've had a group be done and back to the trailer in 4-5ish hours. I was also there until 2am one too though.

Greg

Admin
I can also do 8AM meet up at the Mavericks. Changing the date will not work for me.

I am going to plan on packing more beer to compensate for the trail conditions.

Make sure you look at the first post, the meeting location isn't the Maverik... it's right at the entrance into the private land outside of town, 15 min from Maverik. :D

8 AM sounds good to me, sounds like everyone else is onboard with that. Let's plan on it!

Greg

Admin
Will anyone have an extra seat, possibly two? Carl (ranch hand for the private property) hasn't been up Hanging Tree Trail, it would be great if we had room to bring him along.

PARTYJEEP_JKU

hey whats up yall. i recently completed the hanging tree trail 8/10/19
call the sheriff and ask where to park trailers , or call the college and ask if u can park there , or get in touch with land owner to park on property @ 5$ a tow rig.( at least thats what he charged us )

the trail is dope asf, with that being said..... if u are scared of body damage, dont go. if your scared to break parts, dont go. this trail is technical.
if you do have someone break in the group there isnt to much room to get around , some ares are one way in and very tight. the water falls we found were the winches came in( we used winches twice on the whole run )
bring fluids, tools, spare parts, ham radios, food and water etc etc.

we had 4 rigs with us my jku , a cj , xj, and tj between us four and breaks, trail fixes , spotting, winches etc it took us about about 7.5 hrs to complete. more rigs you have the longer itll take, and the more breaks you have the longer itll take. so be prepared to be there all day. id highly recommend lockers, winches, sliders, recovering gear, tree straps, snatch blocks, c02 or air compressors, tools, spare parts like shafts, a welder hahaha.
ive ran alot of trails across the states from Texas to Pittsburgh, this is easily one of my top 5 trails to run. pack it in and pack it out!!!!! have fun yall , i might see yall there this weekend idk yet lol. still fixing my jeep from the damage i got hahaha

i recently tracked the trail using GAIA GPS, i didn't want to make it public because i dont want people ****ing up the land owners land and abusing the trail. i gave a copy of the map to Jeremy hicks to let y'all use on the run. its not perfect but i edited to where yall can enter canyon, trail head , and exit.