RME Land Owners Group??

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Respected or implied claims? Unfortunately the FS and/or counties very commonly don't honor, respect or list patented mine claims on their county tax records. For example, AFC. Utah Counry land ownership records don't even remotely show who owns what and therefore don't tax it correctly. The same for Big & Little Cottonwood, etc. It's pretty wild situation.
Not sure on the respected or implies. We pay property tax every year on them.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
140 acres on the Fremont and a stones throw from the Swell, Henry’s, Roosts, Capitol Reef, etc. :cool:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
140 acres on the Fremont and a stones throw from the Swell, Henry’s, Roosts, Capitol Reef, etc. :cool:

I would buy in on that

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member

Can we divide it up 10 ways? 😁

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
OK friends, I need your collective advice. I have found a property that I think I really like. I have super hard concrete evidence that the low end value of the property is less than $1100 per acre. I can prove that similar properties in the area listed for Around $1500 per acre don’t sell after a year or more on the market.
The sellers of this property must believe there is gold under the dirt because they have it listed at over $2500 per acre. After a lot of back-and-forth and many weeks I will not get them any lower than $1465 per acre.
I am used to buying things well below market value. I rarely pay market value. And I have never bought anything for more than it’s worth. My stomach is in literal knots over the price. I can definitely kiss any hopes I had of buying a tractor to play with on the property goodbye.
But as I soon as I try to walk away, I get the same knots in my stomach because I am missing out on what I think is a great property.
I argue with myself that it won’t take too long before the property reaches the value. And I believe there are options for me to be able to increase value in the future. And if I think really long-term, there are huge benefits, both for my kids and grandkids.

But also, paying myself back in a reasonable period would probably take me close to 8 years, which means even using the property monthly would cost me about $100 each time I camp there. That’s IF we actually use it that often.

But also, I’m close enough to @Hickey that we could launch beer and Mountain Dew at each other with homemade cannons. That’s got to be worth something, right?

I doubt there is much ‘risk’ involved for me, or my family. Financially, physically, emotionally, I am pretty sure we can handle all the potential issues.

But, is there really enough upside? Is land one of those things that everybody wants to own, but really isn’t that great to do? Sort of like a boat? I’ve had grand visions in my head over a decade about owning property.

I’ve also sold every boat, and WaveRunner I have ever bought quickly because of the headaches associated. But I still look at buying new boats occasionally.

What say ye?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
OK friends, I need your collective advice. I have found a property that I think I really like. I have super hard concrete evidence that the low end value of the property is less than $1100 per acre. I can prove that similar properties in the area listed for Around $1500 per acre don’t sell after a year or more on the market.
The sellers of this property must believe there is gold under the dirt because they have it listed at over $2500 per acre. After a lot of back-and-forth and many weeks I will not get them any lower than $1465 per acre.
I am used to buying things well below market value. I rarely pay market value. And I have never bought anything for more than it’s worth. My stomach is in literal knots over the price. I can definitely kiss any hopes I had of buying a tractor to play with on the property goodbye.
But as I soon as I try to walk away, I get the same knots in my stomach because I am missing out on what I think is a great property.
I argue with myself that it won’t take too long before the property reaches the value. And I believe there are options for me to be able to increase value in the future. And if I think really long-term, there are huge benefits, both for my kids and grandkids.

But also, paying myself back in a reasonable period would probably take me close to 8 years, which means even using the property monthly would cost me about $100 each time I camp there. That’s IF we actually use it that often.

But also, I’m close enough to @Hickey that we could launch beer and Mountain Dew at each other with homemade cannons. That’s got to be worth something, right?

I doubt there is much ‘risk’ involved for me, or my family. Financially, physically, emotionally, I am pretty sure we can handle all the potential issues.

But, is there really enough upside? Is land one of those things that everybody wants to own, but really isn’t that great to do? Sort of like a boat? I’ve had grand visions in my head over a decade about owning property.

I’ve also sold every boat, and WaveRunner I have ever bought quickly because of the headaches associated. But I still look at buying new boats occasionally.

What say ye?
Buy it, improve it, decide you're "over it", and sell it to me for a big loss. Sorry, that's all I've got. I do totally understand the wanting land of my own feelings... I have had them for a long time too. I've passed on a few spots and it's turned out to be the right move at that time, but I feel ya not wanting to miss the right one...

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
How long until you could break even on the property if you had to sell (all taxes and fees, total investment)?

Next month or in 5 years?

If I felt confident that I could get my money back in a reasonable time, I would do it. Throw up and do it.

After purchasing a second property, land, Cabin, condo or whatever there is a powerful, nagging feeling of obligation to be there and use it. All the time. It has made it hard for me to want to vacation other places.

Good luck.😄

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Yeah I love the idea and feel super drawn to it at times... but since none of the properties I've seen (and that I can afford) are great "destinations" I can't pull the trigger. I have a camp trailer I'd love to park at a property less than 2 hrs from home with big trees and maybe a creek or lake nearby but those criteria make it too expensive. A place in the middle of nowhere in the desert just doesn't quite have enough appeal for me. Maybe as the valley fills in more and camp grounds become even more of a hassle to get spots in it will be my only choice...?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
How long until you could break even on the property if you had to sell (all taxes and fees, total investment)?

Next month or in 5 years?

If I felt confident that I could get my money back in a reasonable time, I would do it. Throw up and do it.

After purchasing a second property, land, Cabin, condo or whatever there is a powerful, nagging feeling of obligation to be there and use it. All the time. It has made it hard for me to want to vacation other places.

Good luck.😄

I think It would be pretty quick, especially if it was marketed better and had a more responsive agent.

I have thought about the requirement to be there.. But truth is, I started looking again because EVERYWHERE we try to camp, vacant trailers are parked in all the sites. I'm getting so angry and anti-people that I think the benefit of having a place is growing in me.

STAG

On my grind
My ex gf’s parents had 5 acres in Duchesne, touching the border of the state park reservoir land. They had a smallish cabin (2 level; lower level had a half-bath, kitchinette and fouton pullout couches. Upper level was a loft with a bed)

They also parked their 5th wheel there full-time which was where my ex and I stayed every time we went out there.

He had some minor improvements; a covered pavilion with park bench tables, a dedicated firepit, some atv trails around the lot, and room to enjoy.

My only problem with that, is I love camping. And when I say I love camping I mean I love going and seeing new places now and then too. But with their investment of the property, it meant that that was the place we went 99% of the time for weekend trips. It got to be a little mundane after the 83rd weekend trip to the property in the 2 years we dated😂

That’s what has personally been my red flag on buying a property in the middle of nowhere like that. I’d rather have the freedom to feel like I could go to a different destination and not be cheating on my property.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
It got to be a little mundane after the 83rd weekend trip to the property in the 2 years we dated😂

That’s what has personally been my red flag on buying a property in the middle of nowhere like that. I’d rather have the freedom to feel like I could go to a different destination and not be cheating on my property.

I think this is a real consideration for us also.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
There is some property in my family that I can access like it is my own. I have treated it as my own many times and dedicated a lot of time there. It is awesome when I want a quick get away to go there. The downside is the upkeep is like a house to do it right, which is more than I want as I hate yardwork at home, I don't want essentially 2 yards to keep up.

I have determined that my long term solution is property, I can get my travel trailer to, with something interesting near by. That way I can take my trailer other places, but have it on the land for those quick get aways. Then when the trailer wears out, I buy a new one. A cabin is a TON of work, especially when keeping it rodent/issue free year round and the pressure to use it.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have determined that my long term solution is property, I can get my travel trailer to, with something interesting near by. That way I can take my trailer other places, but have it on the land for those quick get aways. Then when the trailer wears out, I buy a new one. A cabin is a TON of work, especially when keeping it rodent/issue free year round and the pressure to use it.

I know a guy who started building his cabin when he got married. He's kids were getting married recently, and he was still installing baseboard.

I have also decided a trailer is the right answer. :rofl:

Pike2350

To me, the bigger question is, how much land are you talking about? You are roughly $350/acre more then you think it's worth at bottom dollar. Is this 100 acres, therefore costing you $35k, or is this 10 acres costing you $3500? Those 2 things are very different. For 10 Acres and $3500, I don't know that I would be that concerned.....but that's me. For $35k, that makes it too much for me to consider

You are looking at a 32% increase in what you feel it's worth (at bottom dollar) Since you go low, I would assume the real market for the property is closer to $1300/acre. So i think I'd offer that and walk away. Let him know you'll buy it at that price, and leave it at that. If you get it, great, if not, keep looking.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Buy it. Take your family there often. Involve them in as much I the work as you can. This will teach your children a valuable work ethic, while spending time with their family. That alone is worth the squeeze.

I’m not convinced a cabin is the greatest thing ever. To me, a cabin increases the maintenance of a property like this and also makes you feel like you have to use it. Recreational property is great because it will be the same this year as it is next year. Don’t develop it for anything that complicates it’s use and maintenance. Cut in a gravel driveway and RV pad, add some type of shade, a bitchin fire pit, and just go enjoy having a permanently reserved camp spot that no one else can use. If you wanna camp somewhere else from time to time, your dirt will always be there waiting for you.

My favorite time of year down there has just started. The Persied meteor shower peaked last week, and the stars were so bright that it wakes you up at night.

IMG_5970.jpeg