RME Land Owners Group??

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't know that I've ever underpaid for anything. Ever. I also don't have the tools available to me to know how "bad" of a deal this property is.

I have this conversation every time I camp with my brother. I don't believe that I'll ever have the disposable income to buy property. He is in a different position financially and seems to think my parents will be leaving enough money that it could be a possibility.

If I had the money I know where I'd buy and I know I'd be pretty happy with it. It's the place we always seem to head now and where we've gone since I was a kid. I wouldn't mind doing some maintenance but lawn wouldn't be a thing. Doing tree work would be most of what it'd take. It would take a decently nice cabin to join us, another reason why I don't see myself ever owning property.

shortstraw8

44acres for under 90K... Thats not terrible imo, I know it was probably 10k 5yrs ago.
If I wasn't stuck on property in Alaska right now I would probably buy that.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
44acres for under 90K... Thats not terrible imo, I know it was probably 10k 5yrs ago.
If I wasn't stuck on property in Alaska right now I would probably buy that.
Right? I think it would be fun I just need friends to pitch in. Partially for the purchase price (duh) but mainly to have someone share in improvement costs, elbow grease etc

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Well, my family now owns a little dirt. We are excited to see how this chapter in life goes. I think we will have a good time, especially as the older I get, the more I want to sit in a chair and not be able to see other people.

IMG_5001.jpeg

As part of our negotiations, I ended up with these 4 wheelers. As long as they can be sold for $10,000 each, I think we did ok on price 😳😬

IMG_5022.jpeg

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Congrats sir! The people want to know where. Details!

Off Big Hollow Rd near Fairview. The photo isn't actually my land either.. but don't tell anyone.
The road is right behind my trailer in the photo, and our land is in front of my truck.. but it's all the same sage brush, junipers, and wild flowers/grasses.

I think we are going to attempt to plant some aspens and ponderosa pines on the land and see if they take. We are right at 7,200 ft, so both are supposed to flourish well at that elevation.

I'm also interested in a 4 wheeler it they are getting sold.

I'll sell you the first one for $10,000, and throw in the next 2 and trailer for free!

But they will most likely have to get sold to help my wallet feel better. I haven't actually picked them up yet, and that photo is a year old, so I have no clue what they are actually going to look like or if they even run.. but I will keep you posted.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
You should look into ordering seedlings from the Idaho State Nursery. This is a quantity game. I have planted probably 40 water birch seedlings from them and I think its a pretty slick deal. They are native and whatnot. I'm not seeing the current catalogue has been uploaded yet for next season but it should be up soon and you can see what kind of plants they offer. They are CHEAP.

Found the list:
Pitkin Forest Nursery Seedling Species List Fall 2023 and Spring 2024

5 cui Conifers
Fir, Douglas Larch, Western Pine, Lodgepole Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Western White

20 cui Conifers
Cedar, Incense Cedar, Western Red Fir, Canaan Fir, Concolor Fir, Corkbark Fir, Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, Grand Fir, Subalpine Hemlock, Western Juniper, Rocky Mountain Larch, Western Pine, Austrian Pine, Limber Pine, Lodgepole Pine, Pinyon Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Scotch Pine, Western White Redwood, Dawn Spruce, Blue Spruce, Engelmann Spruce, Norway

20 cui Shrubs
Alder, Thinleaf Bayberry, Northern Ceanothus, Redstem Chokecherry Cinquefoil, Shrubby Currant, Golden Dogwood, Redoiser Elderberry, Blue Hawthorn, Black Huckleberry, Mountain1 Lilac, Purple Maple, Rocky Mountain Ninebark, Common Plum, American Rose, Rugosa Rose, Woods Sumac, Oakleaf Syringa, Lewis Willow, Arctic Blue Willow, Drummond

20 cui Deciduous Trees
Apple, Common Wild Aspen, Quaking Birch, Water Birch, Western Paper Cherry, Black Maple, Bigtooth Maple, Sugar Oak, Bur Oak, Bur-Gambel Poplar, Idaho Hybrid Walnut, Black

10 cui Forbs Milkweed, Showy

20 cui Forbs Mallow, Globe Sage, Purple

Seedling Costs
Size Regular (0-199 per species) Bulk (200+ per species)
5 Cubic Inch $ 1.40 $ 0.65
8 Cubic Inch $ 2.35 $ 1.15
10 Cubic Inch $ 2.75 $ 1.45
20 Cubic Inch $ 3.55 $ 2.95

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
You should look into ordering seedlings from the Idaho State Nursery. This is a quantity game. I have planted probably 40 water birch seedlings from them and I think its a pretty slick deal. They are native and whatnot. I'm not seeing the current catalogue has been uploaded yet for next season but it should be up soon and you can see what kind of plants they offer. They are CHEAP.

Found the list:
Pitkin Forest Nursery Seedling Species List Fall 2023 and Spring 2024

5 cui Conifers
Fir, Douglas Larch, Western Pine, Lodgepole Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Western White

20 cui Conifers
Cedar, Incense Cedar, Western Red Fir, Canaan Fir, Concolor Fir, Corkbark Fir, Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, Grand Fir, Subalpine Hemlock, Western Juniper, Rocky Mountain Larch, Western Pine, Austrian Pine, Limber Pine, Lodgepole Pine, Pinyon Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Scotch Pine, Western White Redwood, Dawn Spruce, Blue Spruce, Engelmann Spruce, Norway

20 cui Shrubs
Alder, Thinleaf Bayberry, Northern Ceanothus, Redstem Chokecherry Cinquefoil, Shrubby Currant, Golden Dogwood, Redoiser Elderberry, Blue Hawthorn, Black Huckleberry, Mountain1 Lilac, Purple Maple, Rocky Mountain Ninebark, Common Plum, American Rose, Rugosa Rose, Woods Sumac, Oakleaf Syringa, Lewis Willow, Arctic Blue Willow, Drummond

20 cui Deciduous Trees
Apple, Common Wild Aspen, Quaking Birch, Water Birch, Western Paper Cherry, Black Maple, Bigtooth Maple, Sugar Oak, Bur Oak, Bur-Gambel Poplar, Idaho Hybrid Walnut, Black

10 cui Forbs Milkweed, Showy

20 cui Forbs Mallow, Globe Sage, Purple

Seedling Costs
Size Regular (0-199 per species) Bulk (200+ per species)
5 Cubic Inch $ 1.40 $ 0.65
8 Cubic Inch $ 2.35 $ 1.15
10 Cubic Inch $ 2.75 $ 1.45
20 Cubic Inch $ 3.55 $ 2.95

Most excellent!! I think I can risk a couple hundred bucks to try it out.
Maybe tomato cages around them for the first couple years would help keep them safe..

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Tomato cages won't help much. There are grow tubes that work well at keeping foraging off of them and encourage the seedlings to grow height. Something like this: growtube.com I bought some of them to keep my inlaws dog from chewing mine up. I had to buy a minimum quantity so I am pretty sure I still have some if they didn't get thrown away.

I edited my last comment if you didn't see that. I added the species and pricing.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We’ve had the best luck with Austrian Pines. We’ve tried some Aspens, but they haven’t done well so far. The winter is long and the weight of the snow seems to really crush the smaller saplings.

Foraging is definitely a big problem. Deer for sure, but I suspect the rabbits do damage as well, especially after a long dry spell.

Planning each planting location for a very large drainage/water collection area is super helpful.

I tried one Sycamore blend, which grew like mad, but it would freeze and die off every winter.

The big liquid totes have been awesome for releasing small amounts of water to several trees over a longer time span.

N-Smooth

I also think of trees first when it comes to property: Pines would be great for cutting down wind and whatnot.

Then I think of a storage container compound obviously!

N-Smooth

I was going to ask what acreage you got but I pulled up a site to check out the area and found it. Looks like a cool spot, I’m stoked for you!

N-Smooth

I’d love to have a hundred containers. I’d definitely build a container castle like Andrew Camerata.
100%!
I was just planning on borrowing Ryan's big gooseneck to get them wherever I need them. Then a welder on a generator and you're in business! One day...