RME Noob Run #2: Intro to Four Wheeling Training Day Sept 16-17

sixstringsteve

Noob Run #2
Intro to Four Wheeling Training Day

September 16-17th

Miller Motorsports Park (offroad driving course)

What is Noob Run #2?
Come learn how to drive your 4x4 vehicle offroad with an overnight campout/instruction day at miller motorsports park where you'll get to meet experienced RME members and learn techniques to stay safe and legal on our trails. Most importantly, you'll get to practice driving your rig over a variety of obstacles with experienced wheelers standing by to offer advice.

Who
Everyone is welcome, new members, friends, family, and veteran wheelers. Even if you're not an RME member you're welcome to attend.

Cost
$10 per vehicle (NOT per person). The fee goes directly to Miller Motorsports Park for rental of their facility and associated fees. This is a heavily discounted rate (normally $35/rig), and it's way cheaper than us getting our own insurance for an event like this.

Vehicle requiremets
- 4 wheel drive (but leave the subaru at home)
Anything from a stock 4x4 to a we-rock buggy is welcome to attend. We have obstacles big and small. Expect zero body damage unless you're trying to get it. Getting to know your own rig and its limitations is one of the most important aspects of being a great wheeler.

Link to directions

Remember, this is not a Miller Motorsports Event. They may not know much about our event at the gate. Just tell them you're with the rockcrawling group.

Schedule

Friday, Sept 16th

6:00 PM: Arrive. Set up tents/camp. Eat dinner. Meet n greet.
7:00 PM: Tread-lightly training (Tacoma)
9:30 PM: Intro to 4x4 Opportunities in Utah (Kurt)
10:00 PM: Go to bed

Saturday, Sept 17th
8:00 AM: Recovery/Safety (Kurt).
8:30 AM: Equipment Basics/Intro (Steve)
9:00 AM: Trail Etiquette (Stephen)
9:30 AM: On-course driving, spotting, practice (Bart, Marc, Scott)
12:00 PM: Lunch
1:00 PM: Depart for home. Possible unofficial trail ride after.

Check-in
Proceed to the main gate at the Miller Motorsports Park (next to the museum and the main ticket office). Let security know your taking part in an event at the Off-Road Park. They will direct you onto the grounds and all the way West out to the off-road park where you will see us. Keep in mind we won't have anyone at the park ready for you to check-in until 6PM

What to bring
4x4 rig to wheel
tent/trailer/something to sleep in
dinner Friday night, breakfast Saturday morning, lunch Sat afternoon

To register
Currently we are aiming for 25 available spots for this event. To register, just reply to this thread saying you'll attend. Please check your pm's regularly since this is how we will be getting in touch with you as we get closer to the event.

By attending, you do not hold me, RME, or any other RME members liable for damage, loss, theft, or injury.

By the way, I can't take credit for this event. It wouldn't have come to fruition without Kurt, Stephen, Mark, and Scott. A HUGE thank to MMP, Kurt, and the others involved in planning this.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Volunteers:

cruiseroutfit
sixstringsteve
Stephen
thefirstzukman
mbryson
Sami
bart

Registered Attendees

1) kulangflow - Nissan Hardbody
2) XJess98 - XJ
3) zac9898 - Samurai
4) jinxspot - toyota pickup
5) 4biker - 4runner
6) * Mesha - buggy or grand vit
7) * Skippy - YJ
8) jeffe03 - TJ
9) mustang_boy2001
10) * Medsker - 2011 Power Wagon
11) AndersonOffRoad - '83 Toyota Truggy
12) * Max Power - Toyota Pickup
13) * gorillaxj - XJ
14) Manlaan - Tacoma
15) bsquid23 - XJ
16) bobn - trooper
17) DsmRacing - TJ
18) simplyjeep (sat only)
19) TJDukit- TJ
20) lenny - Xterra
21) Raleigh - bronco
22) Broncomitch - bronco
23)
24)
25)

Potential Attendees (those still on the fence)

airmanwilliams
coco
mustang_boy2001
sparticus
cja89
abhaulr1
4mill95
sawtooth + dog

* indicates you're willing to give your spot to a noob if necessary

Last edited:

airmanwilliams

93 suzuki sidekick jx
wheeled twice on rattlenake so next to no experience.
Just have to run this by the wife and make sure I dont have any other responsibilities up in idaho that weekend.

what do we do with the cash when we decide to come?

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
You can put me down as a Potential Attendee, based on if work permits.

Name -Tristin

Vehicle -2000 cherokee, do you want vehicle details? (5.5"lift, 35's, locked...)

Your wheeling experience I've done the snakes, some random trails, Fins-N-Things, Poison Spider, steel bender, Pritchett.

How likely is it that you'll attend 50/50 as of now. Waiting for the Y/N from work. will wait to email info untill I hear back.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This is going to be a great opportunity and I'm excited to be part of it. Tacoma is iffy on his Tread Lightly class for Friday night as he has some upcoming surgery. If he is out I can cover (I'm a Trainer). That being the case we might switch up a few things with the itinerary but it will be minor. Sign up soon, first come first serve!

Coco

I am a potential attendee. Depends on if the tow rig will be ready, the rig itself will be ready (got some minor things to fix/mess with) and if I'll have a trailer by then. I would like to come out either way, whether I'll have a rig or not tho I am not sure.

Name: just call me COCO :D (my name is Colton tho)

Vehicle: Jeep CJ7 - 1 tons, locked, 350 v8, t400, etc.

Wheeling experience: I have been wheeling since I was 13. I have had a variety of different rigs the last several years, but they always make it to Moab and such. No matter how good of a driver you think you are, your nothing without a spotter, and able to pick a line. (2 things I would really like to improve on, and become more familiar with)

i am 80% sure ill make it just need to mark it down on the schedule for having the time off. but im sure i already was taking that weekend off for some wheeling possibilities but would much rather do this.

i have a 2002 jeep grand cherokee overland stock for now untill spring.

it has posy front and rear

side rock rails stock

4.7l high output

245/65r17 geolander tires

i have gone up squaw peak and into hobble creek canyon nothing hard there

ive made it up part way into the rock garden before turning around no body damage thank you.

ive gone up to grave yard flats multiple times and out into the 5 mile pass area

minimal off road experience but love being outdoors and finding new places few see.

so its just 10 dollars at the gate correct?

ill put yes or no on here saturday night once i have a chance to look at the works schedule.

kulangflow

I'm in ...

Vehicle
1991 Nissan Hardbody SE-V6 4x4
-Rear Lock-Rite locker, 30" tires, TG sliders

Wheeling experience

Newb, have done Rattlesnake alone and Mineral Basin led by Steve

How likely is it that you'll attend
99% - very excited about the opportunity

Thanks for putting this together!

XJess98

Put me down for attending. I'd say I'm 98% sure I'll be there.

I've got a 98 Jeep Cherokee, how much more do you need to know? (lifted, rear locker, 35's)

I'd say I'm middle of the pack with experience. I've done more spotting than driving, now that I have my own I'm excited to become a better driver.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
im 85% in as long as i can get a trailer

Rig: 1991 4runner, 37's, locked front and rear, bobbed, chopped, and SAS in the front, full cage and coils in the rear leafs up front

Experience: Lets see, rattlesnake 3 times, lil moab once, Moab(hell's revenge twice, part of fins n things, Cliff hanger and porccupine rim) once, Bountiful "B" trail 4 times, Trails up in idaho in skinner canyon and beyond twice, Milts mile and zen trail in st george once, Old school Rock crawl twice, Logan canyon area once, 5 mile pass twice, eden trail twice,North Ogden Foot hills a bunch, Butterfield canyon 3 times, rose canyon once in a 2wd van:), strawberry river area once also in a 2wd Van:). I think thats all my experience not much for someone who has been in to the sport since i was 18:( Lack of money has always been my hold up

Im hope to come and learn as much as i can and help promote the sport we love!

If people need a tent or something of that nature, parts, spare tires or stuff i would be happy to help you out, want everyone to have fun and get out and wheel. i have like 6 35 inch tires now

Also if your up in the ogden area or saltlake area and are unsure if your vechile is good to go for wheeling or want advice or help with some upgrades you want on before the event please give me a call i will do what i can to help, i dont want anyone who is thinking of going to chicken out because they think their rig is not ready or something

Seth 801-803-4567

zac9898

Im in

1992 samurai. Locked front and rear. Running 33" tires.

Lil moab once a month or so ago.

I'll be there with thefirstzukman

4biker

Thanks for putting this together. I'm mostly a lurker on here, but I'd love to come.
As a sidebar, is there any option for Saturday only? I don't get off work until late, but I love getting up early on Saturdays.
$10 is a good deal just to see the inside of Miller, much less crawl on their rocks.

Rig: 97 4Runner with rear locker, sliders and other misc. stuff.
Experience: limited - rattlesnake, fins&things, Hole in the rock trail (the hard side, ending at the bottom of grey mesa), other random here & theres.
Likelihood of attendance: If it's Friday & Saturday, I'm a maybe. If I can come on Saturday morning, I'm in 100%.

sixstringsteve

sure, you can just come saturday if you'd like. I'm sure there will be some night owls there Friday night. The tread lightly training will be friday night, that's probably one of the most important training sessions we'll offer. See if you can get off work a few hours early. :)

Are you in for sure? If so, I'll put you on the registered list

Last edited: