South-East Utah RME Winter Trip to the Swell

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm thinking of making a recon trip out this Saturday morning, do a little filming and make sure I can remember how to get to a few key places if we're going to have a big group in a couple weeks (and after more snow??!). We drove thru the Swell on I70 today and I'd bet there was less than a foot in most places that I could see.

Greg

Admin
I'm thinking of making a recon trip out this Saturday morning, do a little filming and make sure I can remember how to get to a few key places if we're going to have a big group in a couple weeks (and after more snow??!). We drove thru the Swell on I70 today and I'd bet there was less than a foot in most places that I could see.

OK, the plan is to meet at 9 AM at the Chimney Rock turnoff linked to in the first post in this thread. This trip is a RECON trip, still planning on another one after more snow. ;)

If you're thinking about going, post up! Sounds like we'll have 2-3 total 4x4's.

rholbrook

This Saturday correct? I want to make it but I'm dealing with a bum shoulder again. I can hardly move my arm so I'm trying to get in for another shot Friday. If I can I want to come. I'm getting tired of it popping out and then hurting for a month or so. I think it's getting time to get it fixed

Greg

Admin
This Saturday correct? I want to make it but I'm dealing with a bum shoulder again. I can hardly move my arm so I'm trying to get in for another shot Friday. If I can I want to come. I'm getting tired of it popping out and then hurting for a month or so. I think it's getting time to get it fixed

Yes, tomorrow! You going to get rotator cuff surgery? :eek:

I'm in for this Saturday morning. Just got a new external antenna for my baofeng. :cool:

:freak: I'll bring my radio's, excited to see the difference with your antennae.

I'm installing carpet at a friends house tomorrow... boo...

- DAA

No worries, this is just a trip to check things out. Will try give a better heads up for the real trip, once we get some snow.

Greg

Admin
Is this something I could do in my pickup? (stock F150 4x4 with 33" Michelin MS2s)

I think so, there isn't too much real challenging stuff. Perhaps some parts of the road that have been washed out, some rocks in Black Dragon Canyon and Eagle Canyon but nothing crazy. My JK on 35's will be overkill for what we're planning.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've had the truck through Black Dragon and mostly had issues with the width (I left a little paint in a couple spots) but I would need to take off my running boards. I've driven Eagle in a JKU but don't remember it well enough to rethink it for the truck. I didn't know if you were planning on trails during the recon or just making sure you knew where the trailheads were.

rholbrook

What time do you think we would be back on the road headed home? I know I may be setting you up for failure but in a perfect world what time would you think? My two boys are asking.

Greg

Admin
What time do you think we would be back on the road headed home? I know I may be setting you up for failure but in a perfect world what time would you think? My two boys are asking.

Hard to say, depends on how much stopping we do along the way and how far we actually go.... plus if we stop at Rays for a burger or not. I know it'll be a long day for everyone, with the driving too & from.

I would like to think that we'd be out of the Swell by 4 PM and back to pavement? That would give us 5 hrs to explore. I would like to drive to Buckhorn Panel, then over to the Lone Warrior and in & back out of Eagle Canyon and possibly back thru Black Dragon Canyon if we have the time.

Greg

Admin
I've had the truck through Black Dragon and mostly had issues with the width (I left a little paint in a couple spots) but I would need to take off my running boards. I've driven Eagle in a JKU but don't remember it well enough to rethink it for the truck. I didn't know if you were planning on trails during the recon or just making sure you knew where the trailheads were.

I'd like to hit the trails, since we'll be there. If you've left paint, it may be a little more challenging with snow & ice on the ground. :eek: Your call Eric, I don't know how well your truck does in the rough stuff.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would like to think that we'd be out of the Swell by 4 PM and back to pavement? That would give us 5 hrs to explore. I would like to drive to Buckhorn Panel, then over to the Lone Warrior and in & back out of Eagle Canyon and possibly back thru Black Dragon Canyon if we have the time.

This is a great plan, and we can depart for home directly after Eagle Canyon if time is tight. I'm totally cool with keeping a good pace going.