Rockwells who has them or considered them and why?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Weight is a non-issue. The weight is unspung, so it holds the rig to the ground like water or lead in the tires.

CR

except when you're dealing with physics. A heavier rig needs more friction to climb the same surface. there are plenty of obstacles that a lighter rig will dance up and a heavy rig can't do. running water in your tires does add unsprung weight--which in many situations can be a benefit--but it also changes the contact patch of the tire, how it reacts to the ground (how bouncy it is etc) and other characteristics. It also changes the weight bias of the vehicle--it's common knowledge that front heavy rigs climb much better than rear heavy (and conversly front heavy rigs suck at coming off big drops--to this I can personally attest ;) )

there are also situations where big ass tires help too.

rockwells have there place, but I've only run into 1 buggy in my life that I thought executed them well for our terrain (that green and black one in Price). Other than that, those big, heavy, tall, wide, awkward, heavy balloon tired rigs you see with them aren't exactly nimble nor dialed for the type of terrain we wheel here.

I'm with shane on dimensions--outside tire to outside tire ~74-78" for a trail rig. I don't see any need for a tire bigger than 40" for the terrain we have here.

Just my 2 pesos

Crinco

Well, it is stregth that Kiel is after I think, so how strong is a rock? How much stronger than a 60?
150# to 200# isn't really that much weight in the scope of a whole vehicle, this is a 4 seater after all, and it is unsprung so it isn't/doesn't make the rig a big Pig. Weight down low, wide for stability, gonna be long for 4 seats, as long as Kiel doesn't go real high up to clear the axles I think it would turn out ok. He's not building a Comp buggy, this is a recreation trail buggy that will see many types of trails/terrain and can be built to suit whatever the builder wants, to go just about anywhere without worrying about breaking.
Rocks may be just outside the perfect "model" of a buggy, but that's ok. If the goals are met for the individual that is building it, if it performs how he wants, meets his budget, and gives him the strength he is looking for, being a little wide or heavy doesn't make it undoable.
Again, if he isn't running a 40" or bigger tire, then the size of the axle may be overkill. And I run a 42" tire, that I do NOT feel is too big for what I do, but I don't plan to go bigger next time either.
CR

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I will be the first one to admit, that the idea of rocks, is a little unsettling. In fact I have a 70 rear just waiting to get worked on already. But for what I want to do, which is wheel the piss outa it with as much gas as I want, I know I would want to upgrade the front 60 if I got one, and after knuckles, shafts, ujoints, gears etc, it's close to 3k, when after all said in done then the gears might start breaking. Everything has the possibility of breaking, I have seen pics of the rocks breaking. But when you upgrade a rock it goes to 2 inch 47 spline 4340 shafts:eek:.. The downside is the extra weight, which I would figure would be around 150 more then a 60 after I removed the breaks. Plus the width at 69.25 inches wms. But I don't want to cut down my 60 anyway and was planning to run like 5-6 inch backspacing. We will see, I was thinking 60 front this morning, but every hour changes. But a shaved rock was the same clearence as a 44 i hear. Plus I have been contacted by the URWAU or the underground rockwell wheeling association of utah. You guys have driven them into hiding with your rockwell hate mongering:-\ They are out there-_-

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The u-joints are bigger, which rocks. The OEM alloy shaft upgrade is really strong too, even in the stock size. The width is ok if you're smart with the rims.... Shaved rocks have a TON of clearance.

They have their place. The chunk is huge. THey're heavy, and the brake issue must be addressed. But, they're cheapish, strong, and for a lot of people, break-free.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Rocks are going in my new buggy.

I think all of the pro's / cons have been discussed.

Yes they're heavy, and the center chunk is large, but if you can build around these parameters then you'll have it made.

My buggy is most definitely NOT a small, light weight, competition type buggy. It's a full size, 4 seat trail buggy with a V8... exactly what I want. For my intents and purposes, rockwells fit the bill. No, they are not for everyone.

i have a set ( two steering axles ) sitting in the shed, i also have an extra set of short side shafts, i plan on cutting them down centring the top loader and runing them at 62'' with the hubs flipped in. i would'nt worry about calling OEM for his 2'' shafts just yet, i mean have you seen a stock rock shaft, they are vey impressive and the u-joints will make your jaw drop. i run a HP 60/14 bolt and are very happey with them, but i want rear steer and staying with the current jeep i have now a dana 60 rear steer wont hold up unless i build it.

the rocks have it all in stock form, huge king pins, knuckles, 1 5/8'' shafts, 1700 hundred series u-joints compared to the 1480's in the 60's, stock 6.72 gears flanged 1410 input and factory drive flanges. add all that up to put on a 60 and your well over 3500 hundred and that's not even covering the cost of a junkyard alxe. i have two 78 HP front 60's that i could use but i got the rocks for 400.00 hundred an axle for fronts ( rears where 200.00 ) and dont want to cut up the 60's if i dont have two. to me its a no brainer if you want rear steer and have a somwhat heavy rig then go rocks, ultra light go 60's, jason.

Crinco

I think you guys have pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I've got that dana 60 HP in the rear of my buggy and it's built up and now that it's there I am really scared that I am going to break it (ring and pinion)! Driving HARD on the coast side of the gear with EVERY other part beefed up is surely going to lead to failure. Thinking now I should have made that 14 bolt into a steering axle. More work, less worry.
Hey Kiel, whats the going price for a set of Rocks these days :D
CR

rondo

rondo
I've got a set of rocks in the buggy i'm working on; and the biggest bummer is the top loader. Causes the rig to sit high above the axle. I say buggy; but what it really is,,,is a willys cab and front clip. The rockwells are in a word HUGE, but strong as hell and with a stroked 383 i think they won't break heh heh

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Plus I have been contacted by the URWAU or the underground rockwell wheeling association of utah. You guys have driven them into hiding with your rockwell hate mongering:-\ They are out there-_-

I keep thinking that I want a Chevy 4 door fullsize pickup (91 and/or older) to build up and wheel in, but any time I drive one I soon realize that it would not be the ideal setup for my area or driving style.

Point in Case: Bribe on of those dudes with a few coldies, and get him to let you ride along on their next outage, and then pretend (yes pretend) it is your rig, and get a feel for it. Then the answer will come to you Daniel Son :bryson: