Rockwells who has them or considered them and why?

78mitsu

I don't see how, both pumpkins have a bump stop above them with an inch or so of clearance.

It was built so that it limits uptravel at the center of the axle, but twists really well, so flex at either tire is great, and all the weight is really low.

Meat_

Banned
It was built so that it limits uptravel at the center of the axle, but twists really well, so flex at either tire is great, and all the weight is really low.

Yup, worked well too... but made it really hard for it have sat lower in the past ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
i'll give you guys this one too....

man, now there are 2 rockwelled buggies that I don't hate outright.

Attachments

• tc003.jpg
    tc003.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 27

Bart

I might be remembering wrong, but I swear he said 2,600lbs :eek: But he does have a 500 Caddy in it ;)

Sorry, but Rockwells and big block caddy motor would put it way over 2600 lbs. Maybe 3600 and that would be pushing it. Nice looking rig though.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
i'll give you guys this one too....

man, now there are 2 rockwelled buggies that I don't hate outright.

That thing is sweet looking. I wonder what engine it runs since the engine sits so high? I decided to run a 60 front, don't have one yet, but I left it up to the fact if I could find some used comp tires I would stick with the 60/70 combo.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
That thing is sweet looking. I wonder what engine it runs since the engine sits so high? I decided to run a 60 front, don't have one yet, but I left it up to the fact if I could find some used comp tires I would stick with the 60/70 combo.

Nevermind, found it on pirate powered by a 502:handlebars:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Sorry, but Rockwells and big block caddy motor would put it way over 2600 lbs. Maybe 3600 and that would be pushing it. Nice looking rig though.

Rockwells: 1600lbs? or so
rims and tires: 1000 at least
Big Block Caddy: 750 or so.

rough e-guesstimation says you are correct. :)

I really like that second buggy.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

I really like that second buggy.

probably well over 4000 once you figure in tube, links, fluids, seats, winch, etc etc.

Meat_

Banned

Yeah it sounded light to me, but I swear that's what he said. Maybe Greatscott will chime in.... There isn't much to the buggy other than the axles and motor. I do know the non broken Rubi was much harder to pull up axle hill than the broken Rockwell buggy.

great scott

The Guy that built Jeremy's(Blazerjermey) buggy is Sterling Kissingger/Miglory(don't call me on the spelling). Sterling claimed 3200lbs, Jeremy has never had it on the scales but it is all c/m tubes and very min(no winch ext) so I don't find it hard to believe. Jermey has jacked it up some to get a bit more upward travel, but the bump stops are still close. If I remember it now scores around 900 on a 30 degree RTI ramp. This thing does work very well, in fact Jeremy flat out won the 2005 King 4X4 Challenge :greg: .

blazerjeremy

Rockwell weight

I own this rockwell buggy:
IMG_2879.jpg

And I Ran Prichett with Meat and U4 a couple of weekends ago. Thanks Meat for pulling me up that hill.

Great scott is right in that the builder of my silver buggy with rockwells told me he weighted it at 3200 lbs. Here are the weights of rockwells

Front stock: 842
Front with pinion brake: 662
Rear stock: 692
Rear with pinion brake: 532

So as you can see If you take the stock drum brakes and backing plates off and add pinion brakes you shave 150 to 160 lbs per axle.

Another incorrect weight that was mentioned is the big block caddy:
Cadillac V8 500 595
Chevy small block V8 575 (generic for '60s-'70s motors)
Chevy big block V8 685 Mark IV
I got the weights from: (http://www.241computers.com/ford/ContentExpress20-30-38.html)

But the caddy has a huge intake manifold so I changed it out for an edelbroke aluminium performer and it saved 28 pounds over the stock iron manifold. I weighted the to on a digital scale. So that make it lighter than a stock chevy 350!!!!

Tires:
18by42by15 tsl swampers 106lbs each
for comparison
18by44by15 boggers 146 lbs each
18by39.5by15 boggers 110 lbs each
19by44by15 tsl swampers 124 lbs each

So Rockwells: 1194 lbs
Tires and rims: ?? but tires alone 424 lbs
Caddy 500: 567 lbs
total: 2185 lbs

add th400 trany and 205 t-case 2 seats, radiator and electric fans, 10 gal fuel cell, 4 coil overs, and some cromo tube for the frame and could it be 3200 lbs??? I don't know for sure but it feels light when I drive it:)

And about rockwells. I absolutely love them. They seem unbreakable to me but I know they do break sometimes. But all 500 ft pounds of my 500 caddy doesn't even faze them. People consider them heavy but in a buggy with a pinion break they are really close to the same weight as a front dana 60 and a rear 14 bolt. They are deffinately not for the road with a pinon break though. And if you want really big tires you have the option of chromo shafts for them now and then they really are unbreakable in my opinion. Which with a dana 60 it doesn't matter how much stronger you make the shafts cause your pinion becomes the weak spot. The rockwell has a bull gear instead of a pinion and it isn't going to break. I wish I could find a pic of one but the bull gear is very stout.

By the way This buggy is for sale. I have a new daughter and am getting a rig that will seat my whole family. Check out the for-sale section if you are interested.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I was guessing on every weight. Looks like I was close on the axles, forgot about taking the drums off.... big heavy drums are heavy! Thanks for posting the engine weight.

I like that buggy. Off to the sale section.