RR4W "Urgent Alert"

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Given the current condition of Hell’s I think I’d prefer that over full closure. It’s pretty gross what’s happened to that trail since SXS use exploded. I don’t expect anyone to agree with me. JMO

I haven't actually been to moab or Hell's since about 2014ish. Maybe before. So I will have to take your word for it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
One could argue that Pritchett has been affected similarly by comp buggies. There's no reason that trail has to be that wide and anything that can be climbed has been climbed
So the only reason I don’t think that’s a fair comparison is that the “trail” sections of Hell’s are now several times wider than they were before SXS exploded onto the scene. They’re just wider for no reason at all- but we know it’s because they just drive where ever they want with no regard to staying on trail and pass groups by any means necessary. It takes 4 min on that trail to witness it.

On Pritchett, the buggies are widening what are essentially open areas with obstacles. Is there an argument that it’s the same thing? Perhaps, but I don’t agree that going straight up rocker knocker is comparable to whole groups of vehicles being able to pull off to the “side” of the trail anywhere on Hell’s.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So the only reason I don’t think that’s a fair comparison is that the “trail” sections of Hell’s are now several times wider than they were before SXS exploded onto the scene. They’re just wider for no reason at all- but we know it’s because they just drive where ever they want with no regard to staying on trail and pass groups by any means necessary. It takes 4 min on that trail to witness it.

On Pritchett, the buggies are widening what are essentially open areas with obstacles. Is there an argument that it’s the same thing? Perhaps, but I don’t agree that going straight up rocker knocker is comparable to whole groups of vehicles being able to pull off to the “side” of the trail anywhere on Hell’s.

I'm not in love the "straight up Rocker Knocker" but it's still in the bounds of the trail even if one has to appear to be a rock bouncer to do it.

The area just below Rocker Knocker is a great example of what I'm talking about there. How did that trail get to be 50 YARDS wide?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm not in love the "straight up Rocker Knocker" but it's still in the bounds of the trail even if one has to appear to be a rock bouncer to do it.

The area just below Rocker Knocker is a great example of what I'm talking about there. How did that trail get to be 50 YARDS wide?
Below rocker knocker has been a play area for as long as I can remember. Which would be like ‘04. Is that right? I don’t know but it’s not the same thing to me as the dirt roads on Hell’s being 17 cars wide now when they used to be 2 cars wide.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Below rocker knocker has been a play area for as long as I can remember. Which would be like ‘04. Is that right? I don’t know but it’s not the same thing to me as the dirt roads on Hell’s being 17 cars wide now when they used to be 2 cars wide.

It has been slowly growing wider and wider as a "play area". When I first started running the trail it wasn't that at all. Frankly, it's kind of a mess in my opinion. I haven't been in the canyon for years though.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So funny thing I ran Hell's today. All the sxs rentals I saw on that trail were being guided by someone from the rental company. I do agree I couldn't believe how torn up that trail was today, I haven't been on it in maybe 13-14 years? Hate to keep bringing it up as I loved my MX and they're fun as shit but again today I saw single tracks more than any other track cutting off into narnia and again witnessed from a distance a large group of MX crowd just doing whatever they wanted. Its not any one group as a whole, its just like any other aspect of life. Its 10% of every group ****ing it up for the rest of us. Also witnessed sxs people doing dumb sxs things today but again they were on the trail...maybe tearing it up more than need be and sharing their music with the entire desert but I digress.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Trail abuse is the root problem, but massive overuse is what's magnifying it and making it a crisis. Education and enforcement are the answer, but there's no money in it and so there's no money for it and it just won't happen. The alternatives are a) allow the overuse and abuse to continue, turning everywhere that's popular for offroad travel into a dusty wasteland of trash and trail threading and roll cage speakers, or b) restrict travel and close the places that are hit the hardest.

I don't know the answer. My policy has been to try and spend more time in the places that aren't as popular, and to stop posting about them (which is a whole nuther bucket of worms for another thread). But I'm more of an explorer than a rock crawler so that works for me. If you're a guy that likes driving the same technical trails over and over again, the whole thing is definitely problematic and I don't know the answer. Maybe private pay-to-drive places like what BFE turned into are the future for that sport in the West.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Maybe private pay-to-drive places like what BFE turned into are the future for that sport in the West.

Was a little surprised to day when I had to pay to play at Hell's......

On the note of money and over use and abuse. Maybe if the BLM spent a bit more time and money on directions to stay on the trail than "trail closed" and "stay on the trail" signs, more people might stay on the trail? As I said before its been a hot minute since i've been on Hell's and there were certain sections that the BLM "guidance" was just straight up confusing. Encountered this on Poison Spider as well. But when I was wandering around the about to be closed area, certainly seemed they had plenty of funding to make area closed, trail closed and no fun signs. Certainly a good bit of trail widening from over use/abuse but some could just be straight up confusion from the poor signage.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Sir N-Smooth reminded me of another observation. In all seriousness I’m pretty sure the #vanlife people outnumbered the wheeling community 2:1. Especially out in the Gemini bridges area. They were setup EVERYWHERE. Head into town everywhere, arches everywhere. Maybe not over using the named wheeling trails but I’d certainly say they’re having in impact elsewhere on a lot of the D#### roads being closed.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Trail abuse is the root problem, but massive overuse is what's magnifying it and making it a crisis. Education and enforcement are the answer.
I think we have all been in this camp for a while. The lastest has proven to me that it just isn't true. Suwa and the BLM don't care if the trails are used or abused, they want them closed. The tubes trail that I referred to earlier is a rock slot canyon. Every spring there is zero evidence anyone has ever ridden there. It just happens to start at the Green River where they want zero motorized presence.

Closing half the miles of trails will condense use and increase the problems. That is their goal. Limit all motorized use to 10 miles of trails, then point to the absolute decimation of the natural environment there and close those last ten miles.

They have been trying to close stuff since 1983. How wide were the trails then? How many CJ's where out on trails then?
It doesn't matter how much effort we put into education and enforcement, they just don't want us there because they don't believe we have a right to be there. So **** them.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I think we have all been in this camp for a while. The lastest has proven to me that it just isn't true. Suwa and the BLM don't care if the trails are used or abused, they want them closed. The tubes trail that I referred to earlier is a rock slot canyon. Every spring there is zero evidence anyone has ever ridden there. It just happens to start at the Green River where they want zero motorized presence.

Closing half the miles of trails will condense use and increase the problems. That is their goal. Limit all motorized use to 10 miles of trails, then point to the absolute decimation of the natural environment there and close those last ten miles.

They have been trying to close stuff since 1983. How wide were the trails then? How many CJ's where out on trails then?
It doesn't matter how much effort we put into education and enforcement, they just don't want us there because they don't believe we have a right to be there. So **** them.

I believe you are very likely correct. I HOPE that a lawsuit by BRC (or the like) will fix this back to what it was but I'm realistic in my thinking that this is a total uphill battle. Fractured motorized user groups trusting in a semi-functional but well mearning organization vs the MANY environmental organizations that have the public and .gov policy in their back pocket isn't exactly a lot to hang our access hat on.

lhracing

You hit the nail on the head. Ever since 1989 environmentalists including SUWA, the Sierra Club, the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Wasatch Mountain Club as well as others have been pushing to Congress the Red Rock Wilderness Act. These groups won't quit until they have gotten their way. SUWA has found that by suing the BLM they can get settlements that mostly support their position rather than having to go to court. This process will most likely continue piece by piece until they have succeeded. Here is a map showing their goals.

download.jpg

Tonkaman

PREACH!!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

mbryson

Supporting Member

BlueRibbon Coalition urges its members and supporters to contact their members of Congress to support the Historic Roadways Protection Act and save our Moab trails by enacting funding restrictions on public land closures:

I Support the Historic Roadways Protection Act
Encourage your Members of Congress to keep trails in Moab, Utah open by supporting the Historic Roadways Protection Act!

Solid stuff if it could pass?