Rzr or jeep

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
I just got my first SXS I have always had a jeep. My family loves it! We have never seen so many new trails that are right in our own backyard. We could never go on with the jeep. The only down fall is when you go on the really long rides that start in one canyon and end in another, you can't really drive it back down the canyon like you could your jeep so you turn around and head back to the trailer. Overall though i would much rather do the SXS than the jeep. Plus they make heaters and enclosures for them if really needed.

lhracing

I have had a jeep for many years and thought is was the only way to go until I just bought a RZR XP 1000. The jeep has its place like several days on the trail and camping. The RZR is just fun and is a very capable off-road vehicle.

I just spent a day in a 4seat RZR and had a blast, but it's not the same as my jeep. You can go faster, and it is super smooth. Very capable. However, my jeep has more power and is a different kind of fun. The RZR was so big though that we couldn't go on the 50" ATV trails. If I were to get one, I'd probably get the 800 or 900 2seat and hopefully narrow enough to go on the ATV trails. Someday I might have both.

RZR was also a different kind of loud. And you want to dress for it for sure. We didn't wear helmets, but I did use a bandanna part of the time.

joshbmx1201

UAV MECHANIC
I have had both, built jeeps, buggy, and a 4 seat rzr. the rzr is a blast and more capable than most people think but mine always left me wanting just a little more. the big thing for me was every jeep or buggy i have bought or sold ive usually gotten my money out of. (assuming you bought exisiting and didnt build). with the sxs they are like cars and start depreciating quickly. im trying to get back into another 4 seat buggy now.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Love our Polaris RZR!!! We have the XP 4 1000 with a total of 6 seats. We fit the whole family - they love it!!! We've gotten out exploring more because of it. Wife loves the soft ride...compared to a SAS'd 1st gen 4runner...

Six seats? This can be done? Pics? We had a third child a while ago, which is why I sold my Wrangler.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
>20k for a gokart?!?!?!?!??!

you can buy a JK for that... or about anything else

My buddy has one, the stupid thing never even gets used because its such a pita to even get the thing anywhere... we always just drive my jeep.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Just like everything else, it comes down to what you expect it to do... faster through the rough sections of a trail, Yep.. is that all you ride? hope not, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun in anything to me. you can ride them on the streets if properly registered in a lot of places now, but you already posted that you were thinking of a camper and trailering your jeep so that wont matter. a jeep no matter how you look at it will be more versatile, the SXS depending on what one you were to get could be more fun on some terrain. I was in Moab a week ago for a couple days, I now hate them with a passion!!!

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
I'm debating this every day. Lol

One hand, the bronco is bad ass and lots of fun.

The other, I can load a rzr in the back of my truck (so can sell the trailer) the wife would probably like it more, and the raced out 4 seater I drove at the BOR jackpot race was so much fun!

But I have so much invested in the bronco and a sxs is a pile of plastic that costs a crap load.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Full disclosure: I've never owned or even ridden in a SxS. However, I have run a variety of trails with them in my group. Based on that experience as well as hearing owners rave about them, here are the highlights of each.

SxS pros:
- can travel faster over mild terrain, such as fire roads
- can fit in narrower areas if you buy one small enough
- smaller and lighter means they can be hauled on a smaller, lighter trailer

Jeep pros:
- can be completely protected from the elements
- A/C
- legal to drive on every street, highway, interstate, etc in the country
- far better at tackling challenging terrain
- more cargo capacity, which makes them better for multi-day trips

Off hand, I'd say it all comes down to what you like to do off pavement. For shorter trips over easy terrain, they might make sense. Myself, my preferred style of wheeling means they are a poor choice. (Yes, I had the extremely unfavorable experience of following a 4seat SxS on the Hanging Tree Trail, and it was even worse than having an underbuilt JKU in our group.) It baffles me how much money people will spend on a RZR4--it is almost as much as a new JKU.

But, hey, to each their own.

Toad

I have a neighbor that keeps bugging me to go for a ride in his RZR 1000. I refuse to take him up on it. I think(know) if I do I will want one. They are a completely different rig then a Jeep. I already have 5 four wheelers and a Jeep that don't get used as much as they should be. I figure no reason to have another toy that sits around the house.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
SxS pros:
- can travel faster over mild terrain, such as fire roads

I think this one is 100% the driver, not the vehicle. People are just scared to drive their jeeps; I haul ass on dirt roads.
It's also largely go-kart effect, they sound like a pissed off vacuum cleaner when they're going only 25mph.

SxS pros:
- smaller and lighter means they can be hauled on a smaller, lighter trailer

a smaller, lighter trailer than what? a streetable jeep that doesn't need a trailer?

Also, I would add for longer trails razrs would be torturous since the rocks are all as big as the tires. You would no longer own working kidneys, unless you drove very slow.

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I have seen 2 sxs rollovers, that really made me not interested in doing anything even remotely hard in one. Injuries in both and just pretty much totaled. Did anybody else notice that shawn's sxs was so much lower to the ground then his sons? :eek:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Sure they're fun but they're too damn expensive for me to even think about seriously. My neighbor has just under $30k into his RZR and that's plenty common. I have sub$5k into my bent up ol' XJ and it's seen years of torture AFTER I daily drove it for a couple years. At the end of the day it owes me nothing.

I really think the whole argument of "you'll use it more than a Jeep" is silly. That's totally up to the individual to decide how dedicated they are to either vehicle. If you have a Jeep and don't use it, sell it. After all, minimalism is all the rage right now... right?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
It's also largely go-kart effect, they sound like a pissed off vacuum cleaner when they're going only 25mph.

Good point.

a smaller, lighter trailer than what? a streetable jeep that doesn't need a trailer?

Need verses want. If I'm going to go run the Rubicon again, I could drive my Jeep all the way there and back (which I could not do with a SxS). However, I choose to trailer it there, and that requires a larger/heavier trailer than the one I could use if I were taking a smaller, lighter SxS instead.

Yes, my Jeep is still streetable. This gives me the luxury of being able to choose whether I drive it or trailer it to any given trail run. Depending where you are or where you are going, you may not have this luxury if you own a SxS.